The Escapists Busts Out On Kickstarter

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Escapists Busts Out On Kickstarter

[kickstarter=409406442/the-escapist]​
The Escapists (no, not us) is a game about a prison break being developed by the creator of Spud's Quest.

For the sake of clarity, The Escapists has absolutely nothing to do with The Escapist, although I do rather enjoy the idea of the editorial department having to plot its way out of Alcatraz in time for Friday happy hour. Nonetheless, it is a pretty excellent name, an observation I make as an entirely unbiased observer, and not a bad idea for a game, either.

That idea is a simple one: You're in the hoosegow and you want to get out. But it's not just a matter of walking out the front door when everyone's backs are turned. You'll have to work around the prison schedule to avoid attracting unwanted attention, and maintain a good reputation with both guards and your fellow cons in order to get you through those moments when attention in unavoidable. A shovel is good for digging, but lights and tunnel supports will come in handy too; you'll need to craft tools from everyday objects - sharpening a toothbrush into a shank would probably be a good place to start - and hone your muscles in the yard and your mind in the prison library.

Creator Chris Davis said he's still incorporating new ideas into the game but noted that the base engine is mostly done and "the vision is there." This isn't his first rodeo, either; in 2012 he went to Kickstarter with escapistgame.com [http://www.spudsquest.com/].

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/409406442/the-escapist]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I have a genius idea.

We reach out to them, and make a deal for donations in return for having the names of the staff and users of this site as the NPC's.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
I almost lost interest after "no, not us". But a prison escaping pixel game. Still sounds pretty damn cool. Seriously though, you should do that. An early 90s RPG style game featuring all our favorite escapist characters trying to will a Pulitzer.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
The only reason this is news is because of the name, however it does look interesting.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Could be cool but I'm out of funds for supporting things these days, including myself.

Also I wonder what kind of game would best suit all members of the Escapist office in order to represent them...

Text based adventure? :eek:

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Wouldn't it be cool if they had a crossover "versus mode" with Prison Architect where the would-be escapees face off against the prison designer's best attempt at security?

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Not going to lie to you: We basically covered this game because of the name.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
This looks like pretty much a reverse "Prison Architect." The art styles (Besides for the people) are very similar. It would be interesting to see some kind of crossover with that title, so people could import their prisons from one game to another.

Also.

Legion said:
I have a genius idea.

We reach out to them, and make a deal for donations in return for having the names of the staff and users of this site as the NPC's.
I SECOND THIS.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
It's nice to see a Kickstarter project with what looks like a solid idea and a modest goal. I'm very tempted to back this.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Legion said:
I have a genius idea.

Omg I would love to be in a game so badly...

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Rather than bugging these guys about putting our names in their game, we could always come up with our own you know? I always did want to explore the Basement by means other than that one thread. That thread is 2spooky3me.