Paradise Lost Is a Stealth Platformer Where You Play As the Alien

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Paradise Lost Is a Stealth Platformer Where You Play As the Alien

Imagine if you could play as the alien trying to escape human captivity?

Games where you play as Burly McGruff marine and shoot aliens are a dime a dozen, but how about games where you play as the alien? And not just an alien that can instantly disembowel every fleshy human he comes across, but a weak and vulnerable alien that must escape human captivity using stealth and environment puzzles? If this piques your interest, you may want to check out Paradise Lost: First Contact.

Paradise Lost: First Contact uses a gorgeous pixel-art "Metroidvania"-style, and the stealth gameplay is very Metal Gear Solid-esque. You play as a plant-like self-replicating alien, who can use special abilities such as sleep spores and timed-life minions to escape his prison. The developer boasts that the full version of the game will contain:

A huge map full of secrets, traps and puzzles, based on stealth gameplay and platform challenges mixed with RPG skill progression
Different ways to face situations, using an wide range of abilities like mental control, camouflage, decoys, organic bombs, and more
Deep storytelling full of intense dialogues, twists, and action sequences

Perhaps the most interesting part of the game is just how bizarre and strange the alien is. Rather than just playing the Mass Effect trick of "regular humanoids with blue skin," the creature in Paradise Lost feels uniquely, distinctly, alien. The trailer gave me a very Ridley Scott's Alien vibe, especially during the sequence of the film where the alien was still a chestburster.

Check out the impressive reveal trailer above, and be sure to developer's website [http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=188806635] for more info about the game.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.asthreeworks.com/]

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
This looks Bad A$$! I'm totally down to play this when it's done.

...and yes it does remind me of Mark of the Ninja as well.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Looks very good, I didn't like the "zoom in and enhance" bit on the trailer though. Though honestly I get annoyed with all this early access stuff. I can't do betas, because I play the game to death and then don't play it once it is released.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
This looks fantastic! Really looking forward to it. Always did like stealth games.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Am I the only one disappointed by the lack of references to John Milton's epic in this?
Meestor Pickle said:
Reminds me of Mark of the Ninja, looks like a game I would enjoy
That is pretty much exactly what I was thinking...

TO STEAM GREENLIGHT!

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Looks interesting. I'm not that big a fan of the pixelated style these days (everybody does it now, it seems) but the lighting effects are really good. Also, it seems to be a very stealth-focused game with little to no combat? I'm guessing the few enemies you kill are killed with puzzles and the rest avoided. The combat we saw appears to have been humans versus purple aliens (or alien mutants, creations, experiments, as it always goes in these labs). The plot seems fairly predictable but the gameplay looks good.

@The_Gentleman
Not exactly disappointed but confused. Why name it that if you're not going to give it even a slight thematic resemblance? Unless... unless the alien you play as will become emperor of Earth eventually, its personal hell perhaps, but at least its new kingdom then.

Tarfeather

May 1, 2013
The presentation in the video is pretty amazing, and the idea seems.. oddly unconventional. If the gameplay feels like what was teased with in the vid, definitely something I'd like to play.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Did anyone else read the opening couple of lines and think immediately of WARP?

Looks quite fun.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
MetalMagpie said:
Did anyone else read the opening couple of lines and think immediately of WARP?
I came in set to ask the same thing.

OT- Looks like it might not be half bad. I'll say what I always say though, I'll reserve judgment until it actually comes out.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
Wow.
A game where you play an alien, where humans are, sort of, the antagonists seems veeeeeery interesting.

Going to stalk it, surely

CyborgGinger

Apr 1, 2011
Game looks great. It's a shame whoever made the reveal trailer doesn't know the difference between an asteroid and a meteor though.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
CyborgGinger said:
Game looks great. It's a shame whoever made the reveal trailer doesn't know the difference between an asteroid and a meteor though.
Asteroid is while it's in space orbiting the sun or whatever, meteor is when it's burning up in atmosphere and meteorite is when it lands on surface, right?
I always had problems with astronomy terms

Tarfeather

May 1, 2013
No, meteoroid simply refer to very small chunks of matter, usually fragments from other stuff like asteroids. They're small enough to mostly(completely) burn up in the atmosphere on entry and don't really matter much except as pretty light on the sky and the odd source of metal. Considering the size of what could be seen in the video, and the fact that it didn't burn up on entry, it's most definitely not a meteoroid. If it hadn't been a spaceship, it'd have left a pretty big crater though, and would likely have made the news, thus the whole idea of "Oh this one looks unusual so let's check it out, not like a surface smashing asteroid/comet would matter otherwise" is a bit flawed.

More on asteroids and terminology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid#Terminology

CyborgGinger

Apr 1, 2011
As far as I understood, a meteor (which is what I said, not meteoroid) is what we see when the body enters the atmosphere and flares up. A meteoroid refers to a body smaller than an asteroid.

I was under the impression both a meteoroid and an asteroid can both be meteors - as they're entering the atmosphere - but the former classification just has more to do with their size and general composition.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Interesting concept. I don't bother with early access stuff, but when is complete i'll definately give it a look

Feb 28, 2008
Reminds me of the gameplay of Abe's Oddysee crossed with the graphical style of Iji. Colour me interested, will keep an eye out for this one.

Schtoobs

Feb 8, 2012
CyborgGinger said:
As far as I understood, a meteor (which is what I said, not meteoroid) is what we see when the body enters the atmosphere and flares up. A meteoroid refers to a body smaller than an asteroid.

I was under the impression both a meteoroid and an asteroid can both be meteors - as they're entering the atmosphere - but the former classification just has more to do with their size and general composition.
I'll throw in with what you said. If the image shown is in space then it's a comet because it has a visible coma. If it is burning on entry to the atmosphere (most likely) then it's a meteor that could have been a meteoroid or asteroid depending on it's size and, I'm not sure on these, whether it was orbiting the sun and, like you said, its composition.

OT: The game looks decent and something I'd certainly like to play. The art style reminded me of the Lucas Arts point and clicks initially.