Call of Duty: Ghosts Meant To End Modern Warfare Franchise

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Call of Duty: Ghosts Meant To End Modern Warfare Franchise

Infinity Ward Community Manager Tina Palacios says the studio wants to end the Modern Warfare franchise with Call of Duty: Ghosts, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's over.

As the fable says, when you have a goose that lays golden eggs, it's generally not smart to mess with it. And there are few geese that poop the glitter as reliably as the Call of Duty franchise, specifically the Modern Warfare part of it, which makes Palacios' comments about the future of the series just a wee bit baffling.

"With the storyline, we knew that we wanted to end the Modern Warfare franchise, and we wanted to go in a new direction," she told OXM.

Of course, ending the Modern Warfare franchise is kind of like killing Superman, and Palacios unsurprisingly hedged her bets with a tried-and-true qualifier. "I can say that our focus and only focus is on Ghosts right now as it is, and we have no other plans at this time," she added. She also noted, in case you missed it, that the Ghosts in Ghosts are heavily inspired by Ghost from Modern Warfare 2.

"It made sense for these soldiers we have in Ghosts who want to hide their identities would have the same masks and face paint. I think it would be safe for me to say that just knowing the characters from our previous games didn't have a backstory, that's what really pushed us forward," she said. "We thought we need to really establish that."

Palacios' comment would seem to contradict the year-old rumor that Modern Warfare 4 is already in the works [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120410-Rumor-Captain-Price-Leaks-Modern-Warfare-4], but the question of what an "end" to the series actually means is wide open. Real closure is a possibility but given Activision's history, I'm inclined to think it's probably something a little closer to Superman.

Source: OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/65034/will-there-be-a-modern-warfare-4-infinity-ward-has-no-plans-at-this-time/#null]

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
What's next, Call of Duty: Moderner Warfare? Somehow I don't see them doing anything new considering how much money the franchise rakes in with little to no innovation. Why change your money making formula when rabid fans are eager to throw their money at you regardless as what you make? Just don't change the reload times.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
What's next, Call of Duty: Moderner Warfare? Somehow I don't see them doing anything new considering how much money the franchise rakes in with little to no innovation. Why change your money making formula when rabid fans are eager to throw their money at you regardless as what you make? Just don't change the reload times.
Isn't one of the main complaints about CoD that it doesn't innovate?
If anything, I'm glad Infinity Ward is at least trying to freshen things up.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I get the feeling that Infinity Ward is dying to work on something, anything other than Call of Duty, like how Bungie was sick of doing Halo.

Fat chance, though; I'm fairly certain that Activision forces their dev companies to sign over their human souls.

Apr 28, 2008
It's funny, Activision initially didn't want them to jump from WW2 to Modern times since WW2 was making cash. But they did and now Modern Warfare is a huge money maker. And now they don't want them to jump to anything else because it's a huge money maker, even though the previous jump resulted in fat stacks of cash.

But I'm betting they'll eventually jump into the future.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
MCerberus said:
I think there's some subtext going on. It sounds something like,

"Help. Us."
Yeah, I agree, but I think the subtext is more along the lines of:

"Help Us. We know Call of Duty is a sinking Ship. We don't know what to do once the well dries up. We're going to try to prepare for this, but in the mean time, we need you to buy this game."

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
CriticalMiss said:
Well future warfare seems to be popular nowadays, so I bet on that ;)

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
I haven't been keeping up with Ghosts, but I kinda saw it as a new trilogy or something. Modern Warfare seemed to wrap up the story nicely, considering pretty much everyone involved was riddled with bullets, strangulated or set on fire by the end of the game. I'm not quite sure where they could really go without pulling a bullshit retcon... not that that's unlikely or that I really care, mind. I kinda hope that everyone who's dead stays dead though, because the goddamned "He just looked dead" moment [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BibpNMwC4O4] is one of my pet peeves to story telling, and nearly every game does it.

Regardless, this isn't bad news. The series is pretty enjoyable so far, but it's been showing its cracks for a little while now. I'd like to see what else they can do.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Palacios' comment would seem to contradict the year-old rumor that Modern Warfare 4 is already in the works [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120410-Rumor-Captain-Price-Leaks-Modern-Warfare-4], but the question of what an "end" to the series actually means is wide open.
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 4: Post-Modern Warfare.

I'm calling it now. How much longer could they push future tech in a 'modern' game and get away with it?

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
From that poster looks more like they want to make Call of Duty: Knights of the Old Republic.
Brian Tams said:
I get the feeling that Infinity Ward is dying to work on something, anything other than Call of Duty, like how Bungie was sick of doing Halo.
And then they just went and made Halo again without Master Chief and called it Destiny.
Because we should definitely condemn a game before the fucking thing has even had a chance to come out, right? That would be just silly.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
The Modern Warfare franchise has been one hell of a ride.

Even though World at War was my personal favourite (A Treyarch developed game, I know), Infinity Ward has always provided a consistently enjoyable experience for me.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
What's next, Call of Duty: Moderner Warfare?
Call of Duty: Future Warfare
Call of Duty: 1942
Call of Duty: Beige Ops
Call of Duty: Totally not a Quake mod
Call of Doggy: Modern paw fair
Call of Warcraft: World of Duty
Call of Starcraft
Call of Duty: Holy shit everyone bought Titanfall and we're getting shuttered in the new year

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Mr.Mattress said:
"Help Us. We know Call of Duty is a sinking Ship. We don't know what to do once the well dries up. We're going to try to prepare for this, but in the mean time, we need you to buy this game."
It's a sinking ship? As far as I was aware next year's 13 year olds will be just as happy to shoot each other in the face as last year's 13 year olds. I mean, I know there are people who dislike the series, but as far as I know the target demographic is still just as happy with it as they've always been.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
... They do know that no one plays the singleplayer, right? Singleplayer fans don't play it because it sucks, and hardcore CoD fans only care about the multiplayer.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
MCerberus said:
I think there's some subtext going on. It sounds something like,

"Help. Us."
Yeah, I agree, but I think the subtext is more along the lines of:

It's a shame. I'd hate to be Infinity Ward, being people forced to literally do nothing but create the same game over and over again. It must be boring as hell.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Falterfire said:
It's a sinking ship? As far as I was aware next year's 13 year olds will be just as happy to shoot each other in the face as last year's 13 year olds. I mean, I know there are people who dislike the series, but as far as I know the target demographic is still just as happy with it as they've always been.
It is if you believe the fact that BLOPS II sold 5 Million less then the game Before it (Which I believe was Modern Warfare 3) is basically a sign that the series is in danger. Which Is what I believe.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ThunderCavalier said:
It's a shame. I'd hate to be Infinity Ward, being people forced to literally do nothing but create the same game over and over again. It must be boring as hell.
I imagine it must be like Bill Murray's Groundhog Day in those offices.
At least it's a steady paycheck...or, well, at least when Activision isn't engaging in legal warfare with your company execs over insane bonus revenue.