EA Sports Ends Tiger Woods Partnership

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Sports Ends Tiger Woods Partnership

PGA Tour golf games from EA Sports will no longer bear Tiger Woods' name.

The very first Tiger Woods PGA Tour title came out of EA Sports in 1998 - very likely before some of you were born, in other words. That's an awfully long time for an endorsement deal of any kind, but after 16 games spread over 15 years, the relationship has finally come to an end.

"EA Sports and Tiger Woods have also made a mutual decision to end our partnership, which includes Tiger's named PGA Tour golf game. We've always been big fans of Tiger and we wish him continued success in all his future endeavors," the publisher said in a brief announcement. "Moving forward, we will continue to work with the PGA Tour exclusively to create groundbreaking golfing titles and our partnership remains strong."

Electronic Arts made a point of veiled threat [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97244-EA-Sports-Stands-By-Tiger-Woods] about the future of their relationship. "We have no plans to move away from him, but it's a business relationship on the basis of we make the best golf game and he's the best golfer," Riccitiello said. "Both of those things need to be true in the long run for the partnership to make sense."

The final game to bear Woods' name, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14, came out in March of this year.

Source: Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com/news/first-next-gen-golf-details-revealed]

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
...and nothing of value was lost.

I didn't realize Tiger has had that many games named after him though to be honest. I have no idea who they're going to chose to headline upcoming PGA games though...do...I mean...are there other famous golfers? Other than Arnold Palmer?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
"We have no plans to move away from him, but it's a business relationship on the basis of we make the best golf game and he's the best golfer," Riccitiello said. "Both of those things need to be true in the long run for the partnership to make sense."

Oh snap!

OT: I wonder what made them decide and if it truly was a mutual decision. While probably not the VERY best golfer anymore, Woods is still a pretty damn good player.

I barely follow golf so I would expect I know more names than the non-golf fan but who in the world would they use to replace him? Mickelson? McIlroy maybe? I don't know what name would do it. Maybe they'll go with a legend (like the Madden franchise) or they'll go Fifa and just drop the names?

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Andy Chalk said:
"We have no plans to move away from him, but it's a business relationship on the basis of we make the best golf game and he's the best golfer," Riccitiello said. "Both of those things need to be true in the long run for the partnership to make sense."
Oh Burn.

Well to be far, this franchise did last a long time. It might be over due for a new face.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
tippy2k2 said:
I wonder what made them decide and if it truly was a mutual decision
They probably want to save the money, keeping the PGA Tour association is going to be expensive as it is and the games aren't really going to suffer much without his name being attached. Sticking with 'PGA Tour 20XX' is going to be enough to sell the game to golfers.

And it would be funny if Woods was the one to cancel the deal so as not to be associated with the double Golden Poo winners.

Shoggoth2588 said:
I have no idea who they're going to chose to headline upcoming PGA games though...do...I mean...are there other famous golfers?
Coming in summer 2014: That Guy From Caddyshack's PGA Tour 2015

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
It's not like the PGA Tour games were doing anything amazing anyhow. Personally, I think the next notable golf game will be one that uses a motion controller and the Oculus Rift in tandem.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I played one of the TW games on Xbox.
Really fun once you learn the ins and outs.

Er, I'm sorry, apologies.
*random unnecessary snide comment*

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
tippy2k2 said:

Oh snap!

OT: I wonder what made them decide and if it truly was a mutual decision. While probably not the VERY best golfer anymore, Woods is still a pretty damn good player.

I barely follow golf so I would expect I know more names than the non-golf fan but who in the world would they use to replace him? Mickelson? McIlroy maybe? I don't know what name would do it. Maybe they'll go with a legend (like the Madden franchise) or they'll go Fifa and just drop the names?

I suspect they will just go with PGA rather than a name, because there are no single dominant player currently. Mickelson and McIlroy have both had poor runs of form of late and really can't be described as the best the golfer currently. They could go with a legend like Tom Watson, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player or Seve but you have to be golf fan to know who they.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
Coming in summer 2014: That Guy From Caddyshack's PGA Tour 2015
Now that's a golf game I'd buy!
(Then again anything with Bill f@*kin' Murray would sell like hell!)