Nvidia's Shield Handheld Gets "Console Mode"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nvidia's Shield Handheld Gets "Console Mode"

The Shield's "console mode" allows users to hook the device up to a TV and Bluetooth controller and use it like a console.

Nvidia's $300 Shield Android-based handheld has just received a substantial system update, offering, among other features, a "console mode". To enable Console Mode, users connect their Shield to an HDTV via HDMI and pair it with any Bluetooth controller. You can then enjoy the handheld's library of games on the big screen from the comfort of your couch.

And if you get tired of playing Android games, today also marks the arrival of Nvidia's "GameStream" streaming service. GameStream, which is of course compatible with the new console mode, allows users to stream games through the Nvidia Shield to their television set at 720p, 60fps. Nvidia plans to support 1080p sometime later.

The service only supports around 50 games, including the recently released Batman: Arkham Origins and the soon-to-be-released Assassin's Creed IV - Black Flag. Furthermore, to take advantage of GameStream, you'll need a PC with a GeForce GTX 650 card or better.

Call me cynical if you will, but this sounds like Nvidia has simply put the Shield's capabilities on-par with a really long HDMI cable. In fact, it's worse than the long HDMI cable option, as it only works with 50 games! I still think $300 is way too expensive for a device that only plays Android games, no matter how fancy its streaming capabilities are.

Source: Gamespot [http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/10/28/massive-shield-update/]

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
These aren't new features added to the Shield recently. These are core features of the Shield that have existed since PAX East this year. If they're only just now working, nVidia has bigger problems.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Mcoffey said:
TacticalAssassin1 said:
Getting really sick of these shitty, biased articles, Escapist.
Settle down there, fella. Unless you're John nVidia, founder of th nVidia Empire, there's no sense getting worked up over this.
Maybe he is just angry at what he sees as Bad Journalism?

Thats a valid thing to get worked up about. I get worked up about Bad Journalism every time I read the paper.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Nikolaz72 said:
Mcoffey said:
TacticalAssassin1 said:
Settle down there, fella. Unless you're John nVidia, founder of th nVidia Empire, there's no sense getting worked up over this.
Maybe he is just angry at what he sees as Bad Journalism?

Thats a valid thing to get worked up about. I get worked up about Bad Journalism every time I read the paper.
I must be missing something here. The only thing I can find that implies "bias" is the journalist's opinion at the end.
And I'd argue that's the only thing keeping the article from sounding like an advertisement for the Shield.

Or is this just more bickering over the quality of journalism because all articles on the Escapist are apparently tainted by some sort of unspoken Original Sin?

Zeraphael

May 5, 2010
TacticalAssassin1 said:
All journalistic articles have a 'slant' or bias built in. And I agree with the above that the only real bias is the opinion at the end of the article. Which is firmly couched as an opinion.

I don't much like these Ouya copies. Or the Ouya in general. So really I could care less. I don't know what Mojo/Ouya/Shield is all about at this point.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
TacticalAssassin1 said:
<youtube=ygr5AHufBN4>

A single paragraph at the end of an impartial article that's clearly an opinion does not a biased article make.

OT: I still think the console itself looks hilarious. I wonder how many they've sold.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Wait... if people need to pair it with a Bluetooth controller, doesn't it defeat the purpose of it being... you know... a controller for Android?.

Also, if you already own a GTX 650 or a Titan, wouldn't it be better if you simply connect your PC directly to your telly to enjoy 1080p at 60 fps?.

I don't see the purpose of this thing at all, considering I can already play most of the games I want in my phablet (it's a shame I can't play Aquaria in it :( ).