Beyond: Two Souls vs. The Stanley Parable

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Beyond: Two Souls vs. The Stanley Parable

Both more interactive story than video game. Both move along a linear story that branches off, rather than any organic gameplay. The main difference is that The Stanley Parable is breezy and entertaining, and Beyond: Two Souls is clunky.

Read Full Article

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well, I'm certain the master race will embrace you well. Though I doubt that you'll be able to avoid Call of Duty sequels and shit.

Beyond: Two Souls really sounds worse the more I hear about it.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
The Master Race will neither forgive nor forget Yahtzee's admission that it was an Alienware he bought. Your halo is slipping and was overly-expensive!

The Stanley Parable sprang from nowhere for me to everyone suddenly buzzing about it. It's on the wishlist, I'll try it someday.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Welcome back! Here is your cake.

http://blogg.passagen.se/marilou/resource/1%20prinsesst%C3%A5rta.jpg

I would mail it over, but it won't fit into the mailbox slit, I'm afraid.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I must really be out of the loop because people have been name dropping these games left and right and I just kept thinking "I have no idea what these things are! What's Stanley Parable? Who the fuck is Ellen Page?" Christ, I thought Beyond Two Souls was that Dark Souls rip off that Capcom was making.

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
So B:TS is.... a movie. And not a good one, it seems.
It feels like some people are trying to bypass the whole process of making an actual movie by making a pretend one.

Now give us a sequel to Poacher!!!

... Art of Theft? ....

... 1213?? ....

... Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment??? ...

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Evonisia said:
Well, I'm certain the master race will embrace you well.
I doubt it. He mentioned Alienware.

OT: The Stanley Parable certainly seems very interesting. The demo was great, and I think it's hilarious that Wreden couldn't think of an accurate way to represent the game itself with something actually from the game, so he made an entirely new section for the demo. Definitely think it'll be one I have to check out once I've got the time/money/etc.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
In case anyone wasn't aware, The Stanley Parable is actually remade from an earlier mod, which is free provided you have any Source engine game on Steam. I have yet to try the new version (on account of being flat broke at the moment), but the original mod was a great time, and the demo indicates they haven't lost their touch.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Teoes said:
The Master Race will neither forgive nor forget Yahtzee's admission that it was an Alienware he bought. Your halo is slipping and was overly-expensive!

The Stanley Parable sprang from nowhere for me to everyone suddenly buzzing about it. It's on the wishlist, I'll try it someday.
The Stanley Parable has a demo on steam, and I heartily recommend trying it out. Whatever you think it's going to be, you're probably wrong. I know I was.

And you shouldn't call someone out on buying alienware (there are valid reasons), even ironically: all it does is perpetuate the pc elitist stereotype.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
I actually spent more time on Stanley than on Beyond. It takes a while to tease out all of the over a dozen endings. And it was enjoyable time instead of shite time.

The only one I Youtube cheated on was the baby - not doing that for four hours.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
My favorite ending was the Confusion Ending. Not giving anything away, I liked it because it made you feel like the narrator was just as confused about the layout of the game as you were, and both of you were on a path to figure out what the hell was going on.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
erttheking said:
I must really be out of the loop because people have been name dropping these games left and right and I just kept thinking "I have no idea what these things are! What's Stanley Parable? Who the fuck is Ellen Page?" Christ, I thought Beyond Two Souls was that Dark Souls rip off that Capcom was making.
You think that's bad? For months I thought Skyrim was the sequel to BioShock set in a floating city. Boy was I surprised when I read the reviews.

NWJ94

Feb 21, 2013
Might have to give the Stanley parable a try. The comparison to Rosencrantz and Goldstein are dead is an intriguing one.

Teoes said:
As someone who has always built their own PC's and has never tried one does Alienware really have that bad a reputation?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
I'm going to assume that any attachments to Yahtzees computer are named after the trains from Thomas the Tank Engine.

Everyone keeps saying that to tell you about the Stanley Parable they'd have to spoil it all, but Yahtzee seems to have reached a happy medium on the matter. I'm actually interested in the game now.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Welcome to the pc master race comrade, with you on our side we will crush the console pigs and establish a new world order.

Yes I know I?m not funny.

So I?m guessing that this will have to do for your review of the Stanly parallel, it does seem rather interesting but I?m saving money so I don?t want to buy anything.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
NWJ94 said:
Might have to give the Stanley parable a try. The comparison to Rosencrantz and Goldstein are dead is an intriguing one.

Teoes said:
As someone who has always built their own PC's and has never tried one does Alienware really have that bad a reputation?
From my experience, they are overpriced for what's in them, and it seems you're mostly paying for the "pretty" case. It's not that they don't work, it's just that it seems when someone that's not into PC gaming and says it's too expensive, they seem to point to Alienware, which is an awful example since they are expensive not by parts or design, but just because.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
NWJ94 said:

Teoes said:
The reputation is based on the fact that you pay over $2000 for components that would only cost you less than 900 if you built it on your own. For example, there is an alienware computer at my work that's over 2000 that has a radeon hd 6870, an unlocked 3rd gen Core I7, 2 terabyte hard drive, 16 gigs of RAM, and a full ATX motherboard with room for 2 more graphics cards. Granted, those are some awesome components, but if bought individually, you'd definitely save about thousand dollars.

The only things I think are worth getting are their laptops, because building a laptop requires a level of skill you actually need to read and practice a lot compared to building a desktop, which is pretty much playing LEGO with sharper bits.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ok...it only makes sense if you say "¡ couldn't give two shits about it", not "i could". I thought David Mitchell was rambling when he ranted about this, but ive been hearing its use more lately. Mostly in america. Wtf was wrong the original phrase that...you know...made sense??

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
flying_whimsy said:
And you shouldn't call someone out on buying alienware (there are valid reasons), even ironically: all it does is perpetuate the pc elitist stereotype.
I'm a former Alienware owner, which means I'm allowed!