Microsoft Hires UK TV Personality To Change Its Xbox Thinking

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Microsoft Hires UK TV Personality To Change Its Xbox Thinking

Jonathan Ross will be a UK-based part-time consultant and executive producer.

If you've never lived in the UK, you may not know who Jonathan Ross is. He's best known as a TV presenter and chat show host, whose most famous comedy show, Friday Night With Jonathon Ross, went off the air in 2010. He's been busy over at ITV since then but, fortunately for Microsoft, he's also found the time to give it a hand with its Xbox One thingy. Ross will become a part-time consultant and executive producer, advising Microsoft on titles being developed by UK studios, like Lionhead and Rare. Microsoft's Phil Harrison hopes that Ross will help Microsoft change its thinking, and possibly broaden the concept of gaming.

Perhaps, thinks Harrison, Ross will help Microsoft "blur the distinctions about what is a traditional game and what is a traditional television program and what is a traditional linear media." Ross has worked in gaming before; he has a development studio with an iOS title to its credit, and was the voice of an unnamed marine in Halo 3, but his big draw, according to Harrison, is his encyclopaedic knowledge of all things game and movie culture. "He knows more about movies and Japanese manga than any person I have ever come across," says Harrison, "and I include a bunch of people in Japan I used to work with."

The head of Ross' iOS studio Hotsauce Interactive, Georg Backer, will also take on an executive production role alongside Ross. The TV presenter is thrilled to be working with Microsoft, and is looking forward to playing with the new console. "They said they'd give me an Xbox One for free," said Ross, "so how could I possibly refuse?"

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-29-microsoft-hires-jonathan-ross-to-work-on-xbox]

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
So, why would you hire a TV anchor for a gaming box?

Jesus Christ, it's like they fall into a hole and now they're paying people to pile dirt on top of them.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Perhaps, thinks Harrison, Ross will help Microsoft "blur the distinctions about what is a traditional game and what is a traditional television program and what is a traditional linear media."
Lines like this cause me to think that what they really want is not to change their thinking but to justify to the public their continuing to think on their present course.

I'm also getting an uncomfortable inkling that there's an undercurrent of "sure, we're getting them to fob up a subscription fee for XBox Live, but how can we get them to stop thinking of games as something they buy and pay for once and more as an ongoing content that they pay for over and over again?"

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well if you want to promote your TV box who better then a TV star to promote it, they probably also got the Jersey Shore cast lined up for US promotions.

... gaming? What is that?

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
Jonathan Ross? Are they mad, true the guy is a bit of a gamer but do they realize the amount of controversy he creates over here in the UK. You might as well hire Frankie Boyle and go for mass controversy.

This.... this might be an awful move, and considering what Microsoft have already done, thats saying something

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Guess they wanted someone to be able to deliver potshots at the console directly, huh? They do realize that this is part of what late-night TV hosts do as part of their job, right?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
This is the guy who thought it would be a good idea to record Russell Brand taunting an old man about how he'd fucked his granddaughter (actual words used), then to broadcast it to millions of people on his own radio show.

I think he's going to fit right in at Xbox division...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So Ross' job as consultent will be to have some of his popularity and likeability rub off on on the dire image of the Xbone...

Gotcha.

PlasmaCow

Jul 18, 2009
So I like Ross and everything, great chat show host and great movie reviewer. I just don't quite see his exuberance translating into good things for Microsoft, but then maybe thats an over-exposure of his OTT chat show personality doing him a dis-service.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Crazy Zaul said:
Why not get Dara whos actually known for being a gamer...
Don't be silly, the xbone isn't for gaming. Microsoft more interested in TV & Movies and that is something Mr Ross is more qualified for.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
aaah Microsoft, if you truely wanted game credibility there are a hundred ways to do it better than hiring a tv star... I do belive no one is 100% likeble but you could hire, let's say, Jim Sterling (tho' he could probably tell you to fuck off :p ) Yantzee (sp?) Susan Arent, Naomi Kyle or even Youtube let's players like Cry, Pewdiepie, CinammonKen, Markipler, Eatmydiction, even Minx if you respect her "no facecam" policy, etc. the idea is make game oriented media... PS but I guess "gaming" is not something Microsoft is interested in keep doing, clearly all new efforts are "tv and sports" relates

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I'm sceptical of this one, especially the whole "blurring lines between different media". Then again, it might remain an isolated experiment with no impact on the whole of gaming.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
From the article:
"He knows more about movies and Japanese manga than any person I have ever come across," Harrison added, "and I include a bunch of people in Japan I used to work with. It's quite extraordinary depth of knowledge in global youth and toy and game and movie culture. And I think he'll be a great addition to what Lee and the rest of the studios are doing."
Clearly his expertise in movies and Japanese manga makes him super qualified for videogames.

fix-the-spade said:
This guy who thought it would be a good idea to record Russell Brand taunting an old man about how he'd fucked his granddaughter (actual words used), then to broadcast it to millions of people on his own radio show.

I think he's going to fit right in at Xbox division...
I look forward to the Halo 5 segment where Arby n' Chief drunk dial Doctor Halsey to shout derogatory slurs about Cortana down the phone at her.

Meh. I can kind of see where they are going with this, he did have a small segment during his film 200- TV series that focused on videogames. They could have done a lot worse. With Microsoft's record so far I wouldn't have been surprised if they picked archive clips of Jimmy Saville edited to awkwardly sound like "Jim will fix X-box One! shawaddywaddy"

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Let me guess, Ross was the only one not to tell them where to stuff it?

Seriously, I can't picture a worse choice for the job without going to Bruce Forsyth.