Neverwinter Expands with Free Shadowmantle Module

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Neverwinter Expands with Free Shadowmantle Module

The F2P MMO gets a new class, campaign, and paragon paths.

Just like the sun, MMO's are bound by laws that require constant expansion. Heck, even the original Everquest still gets regular expansions. After launching this summer, Cryptic's Dungeons and Dragons MMO Neverwinter is already getting a second helping of content with Shadowmantle. It adds a new class, campaign, type of item, andnew paragon paths, all for free.

Shadowmantle takes the adventure deep into Neverwinter Wood, because scary things live outside. The new campaign revolves around the Dread Ring, a massive structure built for mysterious ritual magic that your mom totally told you not to play around.

The module also brings the Hunter Ranger as a new (and still free) class. It's a hybrid class that can freely switch between a long bow and dual blades, with a different sets of powers for each weapon. Even if you don't feel like rolling up a new character, every other class is getting access to a second paragon path, giving high-level characters more options to customize.

What's an adventure without loot? Shadowmantle's introducing new equippable Artifacts. These rare items get their own hotbar slot and can give players various passive and active bonuses. Artifacts can do everything from provide a stat boost to summon a shopkeeper.

Shadowmantle should go live before the end of the year, but you can currently sample it on the public test server.

[gallery=1851]

Source: [a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/28/5028776/neverwinters-next-expansion-adds-hunter-class-paragon-paths-and-more]Polygon[/a]

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Is anyone playing this? I haven't heard much about it aside from the beta stuff months ago. I remember considering giving it a try back then but it dropped off my radar. Is it doing well?

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
AldUK said:
Is anyone playing this? I haven't heard much about it aside from the beta stuff months ago. I remember considering giving it a try back then but it dropped off my radar. Is it doing well?
It's a decent game, I guess.

The main issue with it is that everything in the store is absurdly overpriced-- for instance, bags are ten bucks each, and a mount is forty.

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
I've been waiting for the Ranger to make it's showing so I'll be giving it a shot(pun intended). It plays nice, runs fairly well and the Forge concept of player made content is nice(sometimes hilariously bad but nice..) The shop is pretty insane as I recall thou that's true.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I played neverwinter but got bored of it pretty fast. I'm not actually sure why. I've played worse games for longer, it doesn't seem like a bad game when I think about it and that it has player made content is interesting but somehow it just didn't hold my interest at all. Maybe I should try and give it another go.

Apr 5, 2008
The game doesn't feel very D&D. It feels like generic Action MMO. The gameplay is *fine*, it works and is entertaining. But it gets repetitive quickly. The game is highly monetised, not unexpected for a F2P MMO, but to an uncomfortable point.

The worst thing though is Perfect World who own it. They're horrid, horrid, horrid. Customer & Tech support is practically non-existent. The game is also rife with hackers, as I found out within mere weeks of playing it.