Outlast DLC Promises All-New Horror "Fun"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Outlast DLC Promises All-New Horror "Fun"

The team behind the horror hit Outlast isn't done with you yet.

I don't know if this qualifies as "good news" or not but it's something that's happening, and something that an awful lot of us are likely to voluntarily inflict upon ourselves at one point or another. I'm talking about DLC for Outlast, the indie horror hit set in an abandoned insane asylum, which developer Red Barrels announced today is in the works.

"We've gotten a ton of good feedback from Outlast players and one thing is clear," said Red Barrels co-founder Philippe Morin. "People want us to keep trying to scare them! We're more than happy to oblige."

Red Barrels didn't reveal any details about what the DLC will contain, saying only that it will feature "a new protagonist and storyline through which players can further explore the terrifying secrets that lie at the heart of Mount Massive Asylum." More information will be revealed on October 31, appropriately, and in the meantime those who haven't yet sampled the sweet awfulness of Outlast may take advantage of a 33 percent off sale currently running on Gamersgate [http://store.steampowered.com/app/238320/].

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I will probably get this but to be honest, Outlast was just not that scary, you always knew when someone was going to start coming after you and it's actually ridiculously easy to escape from the inmates of the Asylum, now that I think about it, the game is REALLY easy. Even if you don't know where to go, you can just keep running until you do and even if you run into an inmate, let them knock you to the floor, get back up, and they'll wait for a few seconds for you to escape and you can repeat it all over again till you progress, your health regenerates so there is no real danger. The only part that actually made me jump was when I was outside in the dark and I turned around and there was the giant Soldier Monster guy directly behind me.

Outlast was a good, well designed game, but the trailers made it seem scarier than it actually was, in fact (not that I think about it) Condemned: Criminal Origins, a game in which you can fight the crazy people was scarier than Outlast, hell Doom 3 was scarier. Also the ending sucked