EA Nukes Command & Conquer Sequel

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
EA Nukes Command & Conquer Sequel

Electronic Arts abruptly cancels its unreleased Command & Conquer sequel.

Electronic Arts has pulled the plug on a Command & Conquer sequel that was scheduled for release this holiday season. The game, which was being developed by Victory Games, entered an alpha testing phase several months ago, and EA has not been pleased with the results.

"Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play," reads a post on the official Command & Conquer website. "That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game. Although we deeply respect the great work done by our talented team, ultimately it's about getting you the game you expect and deserve."

Unfortunately, this cancelation is going to be rough for the people at Victory Games. "This does mean that the Victory Games team will be disbanded," an EA representative told Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/10/29/ea-shuts-down-in-development-command-conquer-.aspx]. "Wherever possible, we are working to help these talented people find other opportunities with EA."

Command & Conquer has always been an important franchise for Electronic Arts, so I'm sure we'll eventually see another sequel. In fact, the publisher has "already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track."

In the mean time, I may have to reinstall Windows 98, so I can replay Tiberian Sun.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.commandandconquer.com/en/news/1380/a-new-future-for-command-conquer]

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
To me the C&C franchise died with the abomination that was C&C 4...

C&C 3 will forever, to me, be the best that the series achieved, with the original C&C game having the honor of IMO being the first modern RTS

(Dune 2 defined the genre, and I played that too back in the days, but C&C cemented it)

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Well done EA, this is the best decision you could have made with this online F2P farce in a C&C skin.

Now you can stop pretending you know what we want better than we do and actually develop the proper C&C game we are waiting for.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
At least they killed it because the fans did not like what they were doing with it.
webkilla said:

C&C 3 will forever, to me, be the best that the series achieved, with the original C&C game having the honor of IMO being the first modern RTS

(Dune 2 defined the genre, and I played that too back in the days, but C&C cemented it)
Modern RTS, how does Civ work into this? Oh yeah, it's turn based.

batti

Mar 18, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
webkilla said:

Modern RTS, how does Civ work into this?
Um, Civ(ilizatin) isn't a RTS(Real Time Strategy) game series. It's decisvely turn-based strategy.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Honestly I find it difficult to believe that they acted upon the feedback of the fans. There must be some amount of numbers and flowcharts that was involved in the decision. Unsatisfactory numbers that could easily be turned into good PR and all they had to sacrifice was aother studio.

Hope the laid-off workers get back on their feet soon.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Josh Engen said:
In the mean time, I may have to reinstall Windows 98, so I can replay Tiberian Sun.
Im sure theres a mod that makes it compatible with Win7.

And even then i know it works fine on both XP and Vista.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Also since I didn't see it in the article. To make matter worse, today at EA they hired some jets to fly across the EA HQ in celebration of Battlefield 4.

EA: The only company that can cancel a beloved franchise because the fans didn't like microtransactions and then in the same day hire jets to fly over their HQ

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I wonder when they're going to stop trying to be serious with this series (maybe now, and they realized that they killed the series with Cain Space-Jesus and it's been running around Weekend and Berny's style). When was Generals good? when you had lasers, secret tunnels, nuclear powered tanks, and roflcopters filled with snipers that can eliminate an army by casually flying over it.

In Tiberian Sun, the least ridiculous units were the rocket-launching tron cycles and mechas. And here's an actual unit counter chain from RA2: An aircraft carrier was sunk by a submarine, which was sunk by a destroyer, which was eaten by a giant squid, which was blasted from sonic beams from trained attack dolphins.

Point is, they ripped out the soul of the series so it can appeal to imaginary people that weren't interested... like all of the EA failures. Welp I'm ranting, have a happy

Shaidz

Jul 8, 2012
Tiberian Sun, BEST C&C ever!!!! The game that got me into gaming, loved those live action Cinematics! FOR THE BROTHERHOOD!

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
Oh look a F2P(greed) Online C & C that wearing the mutilated corpse of its predecessor would not appeal to fans who knew ....

The only thing I liked was how the GLA was less Arab and more Freedom YOLO!

Still yeah perhaps EA should stick with what works and stop trying to ruin fanchises with this F2P Pay for all your bullets jumping through hoops nonsense.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The saddest part about this is that they could have saved a lot of time and money if they'd listened to feedback back when they announced it. The internet had a very strong response in general, and it wasn't positive, but EA apparently thought they knew what the fans of the series wanted more than the fans themselves.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Uhhhh... Yay?

I guess listening to feedback and not releasing things people don't want is better than not listening to feedback at all, but, y'know, there's plenty of room for actual improvement as well...

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
The missing .dll file issue should be by-passable by launching it as admin. Though that worked for the FD version (for those of you owning FD, the unofficial community patch is also highly recommended), have to dig up the old case to see if it works for the just TS version as well.

As to the matter at hand ... yeah, it was rather doomed from the start. Oh it had some nice concepts there but enough to tip the scales.
There was quite a heated discussion on the C&C board about single vs multi, which might have contributed a bit as well, as some of the pro-multi, 2 or 3 people to be precise, were rather vitriolic toward the single player crowd and managed to stir up a lot of otherwise quiet people.

"Terminate protocols initiated, proceeding with final sweep. Prepare for decimation, for you are not worthy of assimilation. By the way ... missile launch detected."

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
fi6eka said:
So, EA's graveyard just got a new tenant.I wonder if they'll bury them next to Westwood.
That is the nature of the business. When your job description involves tapdancing in a minefield, you can't ***** when someone gets blown up.