Titanfall Will Not Be Released On PlayStation 4

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Titanfall Will Not Be Released On PlayStation 4

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/395312531750678528]​
Electronic Arts says Titanfall will be "exclusive" to Xbox consoles and the PC for as long as it exists.

If you're committed to a PlayStation 4, and only a PlayStation 4, for the next console generation, Electronic Arts Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen has some bad news: You don't get to play Titanfall. Ever.

"In the case of Titanfall, it's a brand new IP, and it's exclusive only - through the life of the title - for Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC," he said during a conference call with investors. And in case that wasn't clear enough, Microsoft's Larry Hryb, better known as Major Nelson, followed up with a tweet stating, "@TitanFallgame is exclusive. No, not a timed exclusive. It will only be available on Xbox One, Xbox 360 & PC."

It's certainly not the most exclusive "exclusive" ever; under the circumstances, it seems clear that this is less about keeping the game on one particular system than it is about keeping it off of another - and you can bet that Microsoft paid handsomely to make it happen. But is Titanfall really enough of a "killer app" to make it worth whatever money Microsoft threw at it? Only time will tell.

Source: VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/29/sorry-playstation-4-titanfall-is-exclusive-to-xbox-one-xbox-360-and-pc-for-the-life-of-the-title/]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
What about Titanfall: Game of the Year Edition? Can that be released on PS4?

P.S. Thanks

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I know that technically he is usin exclusive correctly since its excludin the PS4 version. However when people talk about exclusives for games they generally mean its only on one system. Sayin its exclusive and then namin 3 platforms it will be on seems like bullshit speak for someone paid us a lot of money to not put this on the PS4.

Related to that. The fuck yo?

The PS4 and Xbox ONE are almost exactly the same console. They have the same architecture, roughly the same specs with the PS4 edgin the Xbox ONE out in most areas, they use the same disc types (I think?), the same type of hard drives. Why the hell would any publisher/developer make a game for both? This isn't the 360 and PS3 times where you had to deal with the idiocy that was the PS3's architecture and the time it would take to port a game to either console from the other should be nonexistent.

So yeah. Why make an exclusive game at all for the next console generation? It just seems pointless and lazy since there should be almost no technical reason why you would need to.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
How exactly does EA benefit from this? I really don't see. If this game is as good as everyone seems to think it's going to be, it could very well be the killer app of the next generation. It could very well be the next generation's Call of Duty. But that's way less likely to happen if they only make it available to half the owners of next gen consoles. I just don't see any amount of money that Microsoft could give EA that would make this remotely worthwhile.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Covarr said:
What about Titanfall: Game of the Year Edition? Can that be released on PS4?

P.S. Thanks
I'll be waiting for that as well.

---

I'm glad to hear that Microsoft is finally doing something about getting exclusives! It seemed like every exclusive the 360 had eventually went off to the PS3 eventually or PC...oh...wait, this is going to PC...not really exclusive then, is it? Well, at least XBone80 users will have Sunset Overdrive and...Halo...Gears of War...and Fable...also Forza, I guess.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
HalloHerrNoob said:
shintakie10 said:
So yeah. Why make an exclusive game at all for the next console generation? It just seems pointless and lazy since there should be almost no technical reason why you would need to.
It has nothing to to with being lazy....but rather with a huge pile of money that microsoft payed for the exclusivity deal.
At least they got a whole game for it. Its embarassing how much money they spend in the last years just for some pointless DLC-exclusivity.
In this case, yes. There obviously was a big pile of money involved.

However I guess I was more talkin about the future releases and especially with regards to PC releases. The new consoles have actual PC architecture in them now to the point that they literally are just PC's that you can't modify. There's zero reason that every game comin out for the next generation of consoles shouldn't be on every single platform.

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
A company trying to make their product seem more appealing than that of the competition?

This has never happened before. At any point in history.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Meh I'll play it on PC if at all. Whatever amount MS paid them for exclusivity won't make the Xbone suck less.

Edit: Apparently EA made the deal behind the devs backs so...yeah...yet another case of EA being greedy assholes.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well so much for the whole "Oh Titanfall will eventually go to PS4" posts I read after E3.

But it really seems like they're quite desperate to keep it on Xbox consoles.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
This is a surprise. How many firstborn sons did Microsoft promise to EA to make this deal go through? I'm really surprised that EA even agreed. From what I have heard, Xbone will have a MUCH smaller install base at launch. It sounds like shooting oneself in the foot.

For the record, when I asked at my own Gamestop, the manager told it they have about five times as many PS4 preorders. I'm kinda tempted to ask around, but I suspect, that in my area, this will largely hold true.

sir neillios

Dec 15, 2012
Quantum Glass said:
A company trying to make their product seem more appealing than that of the competition?

This has never happened before. At any point in history.
iseewhatyoudidthere.jpeg

A bit of a blow to the PS4, Titanfall looks to be one of the more interesting shooters coming out, the first that actually made me think, "Oooh, I might get that!"

But lets back up and put this in perspective guys, consider the last generation, the 360 got a head start, was cheaper, had more established IPs (ie Halo) than the PS3, and yet at the end of this generation the war has come to a bit of a draw. The Xbone is still fighting a massive PR backlash, we who keep up to date on the gaming scene might not realise how bad it is. I have talked to my 12 year old cousin, he wants a PS4, not an XOne, why? "Cos its bad, everyone says so." Similar with a couple of my co-workers who don't follow games in any big way.

In the meantime, I'll just keep with my PC, and hopefully someone will kindly give me a full time job soon. I want the disposable income to get a new chip and motherboard.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
shintakie10 said:
I know that technically he is usin exclusive correctly since its excludin the PS4 version. However when people talk about exclusives for games they generally mean its only on one system. Sayin its exclusive and then namin 3 platforms it will be on seems like bullshit speak for someone paid us a lot of money to not put this on the PS4.

Related to that. The fuck yo?

The PS4 and Xbox ONE are almost exactly the same console. They have the same architecture, roughly the same specs with the PS4 edgin the Xbox ONE out in most areas, they use the same disc types (I think?), the same type of hard drives. Why the hell would any publisher/developer make a game for both? This isn't the 360 and PS3 times where you had to deal with the idiocy that was the PS3's architecture and the time it would take to port a game to either console from the other should be nonexistent.

Because Microsoft probably paid them more money than they thought they'd make from selling PS4 copies. Every exclusive game makes at least one person's decision on which console to buy. Microsoft's betting that having this exclusive (as far as consoles go) will give them an edge in console sales.

But holy shit, that must have been a lot of money.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Saltyk said:
This is a surprise. How many firstborn sons did Microsoft promise to EA to make this deal go through? I'm really surprised that EA even agreed.
When I read this story all I could honestly think of is a journel entry in Far Cry 3 that reads " The deal included hundreds of 6P9 handguns, extra parts, ammunition and one thousand hookers... a day".

Replace the first part of that sentence with Titan Fall exclusivity and odds are you'd get the asking price for this deal.