Typing of the Dead: Overkill Takes Steam by Surprise

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Typing of the Dead: Overkill Takes Steam by Surprise

Typing of the Dead: Overkill just arrived (very unexpectedly) on the Steam store, which means PC players can now suffer like G did.

It's a scientific fact that humans learn skills more quickly when failure means getting killed by flesh-eating zombies. That's the logic that inspired Typing of the Dead, the classic horror-comedy game that took the campy House of the Dead lightgun series and retooled it as an educational platform to improve typing speed. As a surprise Halloween treat, SEGA has just published a new TotD game on Steam - Typing of the Dead: Overkill, based on 2009's House of the Dead: Overkill which somehow went three years without an educational spinoff.

Typing of the Dead: Overkill actually includes a full port of the original HotD:O game, if for some reason you want to shoot zombies instead of type at them, but that's such a waste of a learning opportunity. In the Typing variation, you'll move through grisly environments just like a rail shooter, but rather than relying on pinpoint accuracy to fend off the undead, you'll have to quickly type words and phrases as they appear on the screen. The game looks like it's easily expandable, with support for custom dictionaries and two-player co-op coming soon as free DLC.

There isn't really any particular demographic for this game - it definitely isn't meant to teach children how to type, because roughly half of Overkill's dialogue is F-bombs. Still, everybody can enjoy the surreal comedy of frantically typing "Is it too late to shake hands" as a bloodthirsty zombie attacks. If you're up to the test, the game is half-off for the next couple days [http://store.steampowered.com/app/246580/] as part of Steam's Halloween sale.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/246580/]

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
This made my day! I loved Typing of the Dead many many years ago, and I loved Overkill. Given the cult following TotD has I'm surprised it took them this long to give Overkill the same treatment.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I'm going to wait to see if it'll have Swedish keyboard support - modded or otherwise - and then wait for another sale to hit if it does. I want to learn how to type, damn it; my hybrid peck-and-find/touch typing is serviceable I suppose, but I'd like to be able to do it proper and all Swedish typing learning programs are so DULL.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Oh SEGA, and here I thought I wasn't gonna be buying anything else from you today. Looks like I was wrong. :p
(got my Wii U and 3DS copies of Lost World today)

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I actually remember wanting to get this for the Wii. Might pick it up here, but I'll miss the lightgun playing.

Rylee Fox

Queen of Light
Aug 3, 2011
I bought this earlier and found the typing to be a lot more fun than the shooting. Unfortunately I don't find the game itself all that fun. The only other House of the Dead I played was 2 and I loved that game. I was hoping for more of the same here...and didn't get it. This being the first time I ever played HOTD:O

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Thank you for the news, aaaand bought it.

I have fond memories of a missile command style typing tutor, I hope I have as much fun with this too.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Bought this about an hour after I heard it came out. It's so great.

It's really cool that the original Overkill is included, but... c'mon... who's gonna play it that way?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Damn, already purchased F.E.A.R. 2 and Dead Space 2 a couple of hours ago. I have a set quota of 60 dollars or 4 games for 60 dollars or less a month. I have already hit said quota unfortunately after this large string of Halloween deals. Might keep an eye out for it at a later date.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
The_Echo said:
Bought this about an hour after I heard it came out. It's so great.

It's really cool that the original Overkill is included, but... c'mon... who's gonna play it that way?
just bought it, instantly after reading it existed, and was on steam sale. didn't realise it came with the non-typing version too, which is pretty awesome

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
There isn't really any particular demographic for this game - it definitely isn't meant to teach children how to type, because roughly half of Overkill's dialogue is F-bombs.
Oh, trust me, the need is still urgent and apparent well after your main concern is cuts in the lunch line- The Internet has shown me nothing if not this. If even one more person capitalizes the beginning of a sentence, I'll consider this a humanitarian gesture.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Typing of the dead was great fun, and increased my words per minute to 61!

Fun and educational!

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I am the most happy that they've realized the appeal of Typing of the Dead was the over the top story and stilted voice actors. A definite blast from the past of the good kind.

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
Steam has now become quiet and removed 12.50 of my money.

Sod Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Saints Row 4, and GTA V, THIS IS THE GAME OF THE YEAR RIGHT HERE!

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Cognimancer said:
Typing of the Dead: Overkill just arrived (very unexpectedly) on the Steam store, which means PC players can now suffer like G did.
Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but who the hell is "G" and why is he suffering?

tiakeravelonna

May 8, 2012
What's the re-playability of this? Are the maps randomized? I know *of* Typing of the Dead, but I've never actually played it.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Wait... It's the HOTD game where you play as two buddy-cops in 70's America setting?! Oh yeaahh!