Stay Awhile and Listen to the Story Behind Diablo's Creation

David Craddock

Oct 31, 2013
Stay Awhile and Listen to the Story Behind Diablo's Creation

The inside story of the creation of Diablo at Condor - the team that would later become Blizzard North

Read Full Article

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
I browsed that article on another site a short while back looking for some background on Karin Colenzo. It was an interesting read, especially with all the background with the staffers and that Diablo was intended to be turn-based. While I love turn-based games like Warlords and Fallout 1 and 2, I'd be hard pressed to think that Diablo would have been better in the turn-based genre.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Very cool read. And its a testament to their fantastic craft that I can still hear the Tristam tune in my mind, and I actually still want to go back for more :)

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
NoAccountNeeded said:
Breywood said:
It was an interesting read, especially with all the background with the staffers and that Diablo was intended to be turn-based.
If you want to see a good modern example of a game in that turn based style, check out Tales of Maj'Eyal [http://te4.org/]. The graphics aren't amazing or anything, but the gameplay is really fun and polished. It's free, so you might as well download and give it a go.
Actually one of my favorite Roguelikes. I only spent a day on it before I piped the Dev some extra money to support the game.

OT: I feel like that article missed something, it didn't really feel like the origins of Diablo so much as; How I got my job in design.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
The Tristam town song... I *still* have it in my regular MP3 playlist to this very day!!!
It's just amazing, as well as ultimate nostalgic!!!

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Relevant, if anyone's interested in diablo's development more on the game/content side, this is a truly awesome site to check out:

http://www.diablo-evolution.net/

It goes through all different pre-release versions and mentions all the cool stuff that was once in game, or was changed over the course of development.

edit:
Ne1butme said:
that's a great read, but when did Cain go back to generic old white guy?
I think you'll find that was diablo 3's contribution, in 1 and 2 he was still dark skinned (even if it can be a little hard to tell given the small size and full-body robes he liked to wear.)