Ouya 2.0 Planned for 2014

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Ouya 2.0 Planned for 2014

Ouya founder Julie Uhrman confirms that her company is working on its second Android-based console.

When the Ouya's Kickstarter campaign was launched in July, thousands of people, including myself, immediately started forking over their hard earned cash. The promise of an inexpensive console that had the potential to hijack the videogame industry was appealing. Unfortunately, the Ouya hasn't been quite as revolutionary as its developers would have liked, but this little system isn't ready to fade into history just yet.

Even before the Ouya was released, Julie Uhrman, the company's founder, was discussing plans to roll out annual hardware updates. So, the fact that she's already talking about the Ouya 2 shouldn't surprise anyone. Today, in an interview with Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/25/5027940/ouya-2-new-controller], Uhrman confirmed that her team is still planning to release it's second-generation console in 2014.

"Our plan is to have Ouya 2.0 sometime next year, we haven't finalized the date of that," she said. "We're still determining what exactly we want that to be."

"Ouya is a very different product," she explained. "We're not a traditional gaming company that comes out every six or seven years with a new console. We made it very clear that we're going to have a yearly refresh on the product, that we're going to continue to improve the performance, leveraging components that are on the market. We may never be first to market with those. We want to make sure we come to market when it justifies being on a different chip or higher performing chip."

Even though the Ouya hasn't found its footing just yet, the little console still has the potential to be an important part of gaming's future. It probably won't be able to compete with the Xbox One or the PlayStation 4, but maybe the Ouya 2.0 will be a step in the right direction.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/25/5027940/ouya-2-new-controller]

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
When the Ouya's Kickstarter campaign was launched in July, thousands of people, including myself...the little console still has the potential to be an important part of gaming's future...
PUT THE KOOL-AID DOWN, ENGEN.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
So they're just going to ignore the train wreck of the initial launch? Their Kickstarter page is filled with comments from backers that STILL haven't gotten their units.

Something tells me folks won't be quite so enthusiastic this time around.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
While nobody can complain considering they said this before the first one came out, I cannot help but think they would be better off showing people why the original Ouya itself is worth buying, considering how much negativity it has received.

If I'd bought one and was displeased with it, I know I wouldn't be too happy with the announcement that a year later another one is being released. I'd feel like I was testing a prototype more than anything else. Unless they do a trade-in deal for those who already own one.

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Seventh Actuality said:
When the Ouya's Kickstarter campaign was launched in July, thousands of people, including myself...the little console still has the potential to be an important part of gaming's future...
PUT THE KOOL-AID DOWN, ENGEN.
But I like Kool-Aid.

Plus, my Ouya is long gone. It made me sad to see it around the house.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
So they're just going to ignore the train wreck of the initial launch? Their Kickstarter page is filled with comments from backers that STILL haven't gotten their units.
Someone seems to have missed the fact that annual hardware updates were always the plan. I highly doubt that they're ignoring those who still haven't received their consoles yet.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
...They have a sequel to a console.

Said console having about ~100 finished games.

None of which are good.

This isn't a step in the right direction, this is what drove the video games industry into complete wreckage in the first place. Don't free the Ouya, nothing's stopping its tyranicaly ass-ravaging, let's boycott is before it breeds.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
So we get a newer Ouya with a whole whopping 10-20% more performance. Awesome, that is a huge step forward.

Before I break sarcasm guages around here. Eh... yeah Ouya eeeh I see Nvidia Shield and the many android tablets as a better option.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
masticina said:
So we get a newer Ouya with a whole whopping 10-20% more performance. Awesome, that is a huge step forward.

Before I break sarcasm guages around here. Eh... yeah Ouya eeeh I see Nvidia Shield and the many android tablets as a better option.
Or buy a HDMI cable and connect your PC to your telly. You can even install android on a PC!

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
masticina said:

Or buy a HDMI cable and connect your PC to your telly. You can even install android on a PC!
Yup that one is hard to beat. Have a nice wireless xbox 360 controller, start up the game and voila.

The ouya 2.0 well it must be quite a bit better then the first one was to even fight against the many android/IOS tablets.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
masticina said:
Evil Smurf said:
masticina said:

Yup that one is hard to beat. Have a nice wireless xbox 360 controller, start up the game and voila.

The ouya 2.0 well it must be quite a bit better then the first one was to even fight against the many android/IOS tablets.
I wonder how it does as a media server though.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
I've been watching this story unfold from the very beginning with amusement. On these very forums people were going crazy with hype for the Ouya in the early days of its Kickstarter. "It'll revolutionise the industry!"

Now, almost a year on from its launch, a news article is posted about the console and every reply is negative. Gamers are a fickle bunch, burn them once and you're done. I almost feel sorry for the Ouya company.

Almost. I didn't back them, after all.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Why would I want a Ouya when I could just hook up my laptop to my TV with a wireless controller?

o_O

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Legion said:
While nobody can complain considering they said this before the first one came out, I cannot help but think they would be better off showing people why the original Ouya itself is worth buying, considering how much negativity it has received.
There's virtually no reason to buy the original, though.

On the flip-side, with that in mind, it's hard to imagine them offering a better setup with the next Ouya. They need to make a lot of sacrifices to keep the price reasonable, and it probably will never really pay off.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
to me, this is mostly like kicking sand in the faces of their supporters after taking their money. what's the point of having a new one so soon? consoles are supposed to be STANDARDIZED so that developers have a consistent set of tools to work with for a controlled experience. now it's gonna be like wii motionplus, where everything before it isn't even worth considering, plus it also means that their first machine wasn't even designed to be useful long enough for the creators to actually work on it past one year or so, which is like a phone, except that the phone can also do other things, and is actually more powerful than an ouya

new companies are supposed to EARN TRUST in order to establish themselves in the market, and they keep ignoring this

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
I am worried about what this means for my Ouya; will they be releasing an "upgrade kit", will I be able to transfer my games, will they separate games by compatibility in the games store? I don't really see the annualized updates idea being a good one. Every 2-3 years might be okay, considering the speed that the tech is improving at, but 1 year is just too soon.

dylanmc12 said:
Said console having about ~500 finished games.

Some of which are pretty good.
Fixed your quote for you.