The PC is The UK's Fastest Growing Gaming Platform

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The PC is The UK's Fastest Growing Gaming Platform

PC games accounted for 22 per cent of all software sold during the first half of the year.

UK trade body UKIE has revealed that the PC as a gaming platform, which has been "dying" since around 1996, is actually the fastest-growing platform in the country so far this year. Its market share for both digital and boxed video games has grown 5 percent during the first half of 2013, slowly but steadily catching up to its console brothers.

PC games accounted for 22 per cent of all software sold during the first half of the year. PS3, in comparison, accounted for 25 per cent.

Somewhat depressingly, the UK download charts for Q2 2013 which reveal that SimCity was the number one game of the three month period. But, thankfully, Bioshock Infinite was right behind it at number two. EA was the number one publisher in terms of combined boxed and download sales, followed by 2K Games and Sega.

Simulation games, such as SimCity, were the most popular games sold this year, making up 23 per cent of total market share.

It's worth noting that both Sony and Microsoft's next-generation efforts will launch next month, and will probably turn these figures on their head.

Source: MCV UK [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pc-now-the-uk-s-fastest-growing-games-platform/0123518]

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
It's worth noting that both Sony and Microsoft's next-generation efforts will launch next month, and will probably turn these figures on their head.
It is also worth noting that from what I have heard here in Europe, there is a certain skepticism towards the next gen consoles. Also worth noting is that the whole NSA spying thing is a much bigger issue here than in the States and with that comes the privacy concerns that the Xbox brings with it.

So don't be surprised if the PC will continue on strong after next month.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
My goodness, we're a continent of bureaucrats... Sim City as the most popular title, and others along side it. Still, I guess it's what we're good at. We've been doing it since the middle ages. Plus, PC for ever!

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
I think this has something to do with how sparse game retail stores are in the UK. Downloading off of Steam seems like the only way to get games without having to wait for them to be delivered via Amazon.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
It's worth noting that this counts Boxed and Digital sales for the PC, whilst only counting boxed sales for the consoles.

Digital sales are increasing on the consoles but they'd probably only account for one or two percentage points at best

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
HA thought PC was evil coz of all the pirates and pc gamers never paying for games. lol Yet again greedy assholes full of poop cola.

This is not really news to me, I left behind consoles back in the days of the xbox/ game cube times. I just got hooked being able to play with other people online and the wealth of HL1 mods at the time. And over the years its just better for me. Games are alot cheaper then on consoles, longer life span, mods, more polite online community/experience. Might have cost me abit more then a console to build a rig but has always worked out alot cheaper. Then you got Steam sales. Shit cost's too much in the UK as it is. PC works out cheaper in the long run.

Feb 28, 2008
For me, certain game genres such as managements sims, RTSs, and a few others, can only properly be played on the PC, so I'm unsurprised by SimCity's appearance. From my small circle of gaming friends, I know that we've largely turned away from console gaming and embraced what PCs have to offer (which is a great deal).

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
PC Gaming has been "dying" since 1996? You could have fooled me what with all the best selling games and the implementation of Steam and Origin, not to mention the increasing popularity of GOG and Green Man Gaming. Unless of course by "dying" you simply mean that it wasn't making big enough piles of cash (in the same way horror games are supposedly "dying").

That aside I'm not suprised it's gaining more popularity with consumers and getting a larger market share, the next gen consoles are hardly thrilling. The PS4 is, by far, looking to be the most popular console for the next few years as it stands but as it transpires it can't even play mp3s or audio CDs... I know the focus of a games console should be on games but this is a very basic feature to not include (not to mention that the lack of backwards compatibility suggests a much bigger focus on cash than giving customers great games). I've been a Playstation player since the beginning but this next generation of polygons and fps's is making me lean more towards finally biting the bullet and building a decent PC rig instead.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
The other 78 percent were sales of Fifa 13, and I'm pretty sure they got the PC numbers wrong because those sales all went to Football Manager.

LaochEire

Mar 9, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
The other 78 percent were sales of Fifa 13, and I'm pretty sure they got the PC numbers wrong because those sales all went to Football Manager.
I agree. Football Manager is a game your Dad, Brother, Uncle and friends play, regardless of whether or not they are gamers. It's probably one of the biggest PC games in the UK & Ireland.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Battenberg said:
PC Gaming has been "dying" since 1996?
its 1985!

Its no surprise, as simulators and strategy games can only be proprly played on PC anyway due to its more precise input mechanism (a lot of keys and high precision easy aiming), so they tend to dominate the market, whera more autmated games with autoaim and oher similar stuff tends to stick to consoles.

The dissapointment in NextGen probably had soemthing to do with it too i guess.