Capcom Hopes Dead Rising 3 Will Move 1.2 Million Units

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Capcom Hopes Dead Rising 3 Will Move 1.2 Million Units

That's less than both the two previous entrants in the Dead Rising franchise.

Capcom's most recent financial statement includes some future predictions, among them Dead Rising 3 sales estimates. The Xbox One exclusive launch title is expected to sell 1.2 million units in North America and Europe, less than either Dead Rising (1.8 million) or Dead Rising 2 (2.7 million). Part of that lowball estimate may be down to caution; as an Xbox One exclusive it can only sell to Xbox One owners, and there's no telling how many of those there will be, or how many of that total are really interested in Capcom's zombie title. But it's also part of an overall projection that assumes a fall in boxed game sales in North America and Europe, in combination with a rise in global download sales.

Sales units shipped are expected to fall about 35.2% year-on-year in North America, and 47.2% in Europe, while in Japan units shipped are expected to rise by 40%. But the big increase in sales is expected to come from full-game downloads worldwide, which - if Capcom is right - will rise to 148.1% of the F/Y 2013 total. It's expecting a sales bump - ¥2.925 billion net sales increase, or approximately $29.645 million - and net income for the year should be well in the black, if all goes according to plan.

So far, the only real disappointment for Capcom has been Lost Planet 3, which moved only 300,000 units, "below expectations in Europe and North America," says Capcom. But there could be good news ahead; among the other tidbits in the financials [http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2013/2nd/explanation_2013_2nd_01.pdf] is mention of a closed beta test for a new original series PC browser game, with a December public release scheduled.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-01-capcom-expects-xbox-one-exclusive-dead-rising-3-to-sell-1-2m]

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Well... considering it's on next Gen only, I'd say that's still shooting high.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Then again, exactly what are the games people are wanting for the X1 anyhow?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
...Well Dead Rising 2 got 1.3 million sales on the Xbox 360 alone, so it doesn't sound unreasonable. Numbers feel oddly arbitrary though. Also I can't help but feel like intentionally aiming to sell less than your last game in the series kind of feels like taking a step backwards. I know, I know, "if you're not expanding you're failing" is a stupid mindset, but I just feel like there's something wrong with lowering your expectations for a game, it just screams "We're doing something wrong and we know it"

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Um... I thought they learned something after the failure that was RE6? Maybe they'd reach part of that goal if they finally bring the first one to PC - I thought that was the best one anyways...

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Is this Capcom being *gasp* somewhat reasonable? While it won't hit it immediately out of the blocks, that's a decent amount down the road.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Thats actually pretty realistic.

I doubt Microsoft is fully on its way to recovering from its initial PR disasters just yet (I still expect XBone sales to fall behind at first) Capcoms strongest fanbase is in Japan, where the XBone isnt launching in the forseeable future, and the game itself faced a ton of backlash after its reveal.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
These exclusivity deals usually hurt Japanese devs when they go with anything Xbox related. Besides Final Fantasy, Dead Rising has been the only Japanese developed game to do well on Microsoft consoles.

Sega tried to put their best Dreamcast titles on the original Xbox and they all flopped. The Tales of games on the 360 flopped as well as the Square Enix exclusive titles not called Final Fantasy.

Why Capcom is the only Japanese company left taking exclusivity deals with Microsoft is beyond me. They'd automatically make more money than whatever MS paid them for exclusivity if they released it on the PS4 and PC. And with the way that Dead Rising 3's reception has gone since it was revealed I'd say this franchise needs to be in the hands of as many customers as possible because I feel a lot less people are interested in it this time around.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Way to aim for the stars Capcom. They won't make the sales goal though, even after lowering it. The market is saturated with zombie games, and now they've removed everything that made it unique. Congratulations Capcom, you've managed to make a generic mainstream zombie horror game in order to reach a wider audience. Just like all the others...

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
And I'd hoped they would have gone back to the initial studio for their next dead rising, but we can't always get what we want, can we?

ps. captcha is dogs and cats living together. thank you Bill Murray.

Nov 28, 2007
When game companies expect games to sell a ridiculous amount, gamers complain about expecting unrealistic success. When game companies try to be realistic about sales, gamers complain about them being underachievers. Is there any way for a game company to win, besides just keeping expectations to themselves?

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
thebobmaster said:
When game companies expect games to sell a ridiculous amount, gamers complain about expecting unrealistic success. When game companies try to be realistic about sales, gamers complain about them being underachievers. Is there any way for a game company to win, besides just keeping expectations to themselves?
Man, you gotta understand people in this situation, it's Capcom being REALISTIC... this is MADNESS!

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I was really looking forward to the game until MS tried to xbone us and I found out there were missions and features cut from the game for smartglass. And now... IF I get an xbone it will be at least 9 months down the road and IF I get DR3 it will be used. Because fuck you Capcom for cutting content from the game. Fuck. You.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
Next gen only AND on a system alot of people hate, they really did bet on the wrong horse as far as sales goes. Sad really that they didn't do multiplatform.

Sarge034 said:
I was really looking forward to the game until MS tried to xbone us and I found out there were missions and features cut from the game for smartglass. And now... IF I get an xbone it will be at least 9 months down the road and IF I get DR3 it will be used. Because fuck you Capcom for cutting content from the game. Fuck. You.
And fuck them for making a X1 exclusive, it just means I won't get their (what sounds like) inferior sequel.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I can only wonder how many people are going to get DR3 for the soul reason of completing this:

I can only hope this game sells well enough to eventually get a complete or, game of the year edition on the PS4 down the road. I think 1.2 Million would be a reasonable estimate though, considering it's only on one of the two next gen consoles...granted, it's on the one that really pissed people off. What's the time-frame Capcom are looking at here? 1.2 Million...in a year? while it's in print? At launch?