Warner Bros. Interactive Apologizes For Arkham Origins Bugs

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Warner Bros. Interactive Apologizes For Arkham Origins Bugs

Warner Bros. wants you to know they're aware of the problem and working to fix it.

In case you haven't heard, there have been some serious technical issues with Batman: Arkham Origins. How serious? Polygon dropped their review score [http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/25/5026574/batman-arkham-origins-review-knightfall] from 7 to 4 over them. The bugs range from character upgrades that won't unlock to glitches that force players to reset or make save data inaccessible.

In response to a massive outcry from upset players, publisher Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and developer WB Games released an apology yesterday on game's blog:

"We know that some of you have experienced frustration when posting on these forums, thinking your posts get lost or ignored and that no one from the team reads them. We can promise you that your posts are being read. We hear your frustration, we understand it, and we are here to find solutions to your issues by gathering the info you provide us, and relaying it to the dev team.

...We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you all for your patience as we work to resolve the issues."

Based on what they've done so far, the publisher claims they will release a patch next week that fixes solves the game's most pressing issues. The post also lists the things the team is working to fix right away, including universal and platform-specific problems:

1) A bug that Batman can get stuck in "an endless loop" falling through the game world, killing play sessions.

2) A problem where players looking to return to their single-player saves may find that the option to continue has disappeared, essentially destroying their save and forcing them to start over.

3) An inconvenient "progression blocker" that prevents players from using the vent to get into Burnley Tower.

4) Data corruption that is causing frequent crashes and deleting save data on the Xbox 360 version of the game. Interestingly, it seems that taking the Xbox offline may apparently reduce the frequency of the crashes.

Meanwhile, at least one hiccup - a PC-only glitch preventing the "FreeFlow Focus" mode from unlocking - has already been fixed with a recent update.

WBiE says that they plan on having patches ready to fix these issues some time next week. Players must have their PC or console connected to the internet to receive the patch.

Source: WB Games [http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/Updates-on-Major-Fixes/m-p/25139#U25139]

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Huh. I think they've also already fixed #3 at least. I ran into that bug over the weekend and it worked fine last night.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Yeah so, how about that UK release for the PC huh guys, I'm really enjoying mine. Along with the Wii-U version, I'm sure those that bought it for their respective Nintendo consoles are enjoying it too.

Oops, forgot you delayed it by 3 weeks without giving any reason. Thanks for that.

EDIT: I'm talking physical release here guys/gals/sentient beings.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Oh my, are they sure it wasn't Obsidian who made this game? Lol... sounds like what happens when you let Obsidian play with your engines...

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Haven't been on Miiverse in a while but how bad are the bugs and whatnot on the U version? It seems like most of what I've read focuses on the PS3, 360 and, PC versions. Either way, looks like bad news for WBG-Montreal and, the people who bought the game on day one...this explains all of the really low scores.

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
Sounds like the game needed some serious play testing and should have been delayed a good 3 months at least.

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
AndrewC said:
Yeah so, how about that UK release for the PC huh guys, I'm really enjoying mine. Along with the Wii-U version, I'm sure those that bought it for their respective Nintendo consoles are enjoying it too.

Oops, forgot you delayed it by 3 weeks without giving any reason. Thanks for that.
I've been playing it in the UK on PC solid since launch day. You can get it now, if you want - http://store.steampowered.com/app/209000/

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Kolyarut said:
AndrewC said:

I've been playing it in the UK on PC solid since launch day. You can get it now, if you want - http://store.steampowered.com/app/209000/
Yeah I'm talking physical release (personal preference etc :p)

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
AndrewC said:

Im sure it released on Steam worldwide.

And im sure because i was playing Arkham Origins on launch.

Edit:

AndrewC said:
Im actually surprised that any UK retailer bothers to stock PC games anymore.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
gigastar said:
AndrewC said:

Im sure it released on Steam worldwide.

And im sure because i was playing Arkham Origins on launch.

Edit:

AndrewC said:
I'm actually surprised that any UK retailer bothers to stock PC games anymore.
In terms of retail, there's only a few places that stock physical PC, but their prices are nonsense so it usually leaves us buying from places like Amazon.

In this case, I had pre-ordered Batman in June and it cost me £25. Retail stores and Steam are charging £40. Whilst I prefer the actual physical copy because I'm that type of gamer, the drastic price difference does factor into it on most occasions.

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
Maiev Shadowsong said:
While games were never bug free and much simpler in days gone by, our capabilities are much higher now and every game released having at least some issues that need to be patched is just not okay.
...which means that games are immeasurably more complex, and have more moving parts to fail.

Arkham Origins does have some particularly bad doozies, including some severe ones which seem to be pretty universally replicable, and that's not really cool. But overall, realistically speaking it's not always going to be viable to release something perfect and to schedule. Not everyone has the resources of Blizzard or Valve to keep a game in development indefinitely, and honestly I'd rather play a Warcraft 4 now with a couple of bugs than wait an extra two years while they develop it further.

There's always the option of waiting a month or two after a game is released. That's the time you might have waited for them to put the final polish on it anyway, and by that time it should be reasonably finished and might even be cheaper.

Vinterdraken

Apr 4, 2009
The Burnley Tower bug has been fixed for over a day, however after getting back into the game when I could progress again I ran into a completely game breaking bug during the last boss of the game which even if patched may force me to replay the entire game since theres no way to load a previous save point. Basicly when I start up the game again Im stuck during the first phase of the boss fight but the boss has progressed to the second stage without me. So I get to enjoy two cutscenes back to back and then can do nothing but stare at the floor and wish there was a hole in it so I could get on with the fight.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
AndrewC said:
In terms of retail, there's only a few places that stock physical PC, but their prices are nonsense so it usually leaves us buying from places like Amazon.

In this case, I had pre-ordered Batman in June and it cost me £25. Retail stores and Steam are charging £40. Whilst I prefer the actual physical copy because I'm that type of gamer, the drastic price difference does factor into it on most occasions.
I always thought Amazon dispensed Steam codes. Then again ive never bought a PC game from Amazon.

Also if you were pre-ordering, then Steam charged £30, not £40.

Obviously thats more than what you paid, but as it turned out i got access to the game when it launched in the US, and not 3 weeks late.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
So far I've had two black-screen crashes and four freezes, one of which corrupted 10 hours of save data. (I am now for the first ever time, in all of my 360s, backing up save files on a memory stick.)

However despite all this I still love the game. Especially what they've done with the Joker. If any other game had crapped out on me like this, so often, I'd be done. So credit where credit's due to WB:M, they've done this fanboy proud. But yeah, a patch to stop the constant freezing/data corruption would be nice. :p