Dead Rising 3 Uses Your Phone as an Augmented Reality Device

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Dead Rising 3 Uses Your Phone as an Augmented Reality Device

Smartglass integration lets you recieve calls from characters and use in-game apps on your real-life phone.

While the WiiU is built around the use of a hand-held second screen, don't forget that the Xbox can do it too. Microsoft's Smartglass app turns any Android and iOS device into a second screen for game designers to play with. While games like Halo 4 only use it as an alternate way to check player stats, Capcom wants to take things a bit further. In Dead Rising 3, the Smartglass app turns your real-life phone [a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BrentArnst/20131101/203888/Dead_Rising_3_Invades_SmartGlass.php]into an in-game phone[/a], letting you use it as a GPS, check the news, and make and receive calls, all inside the gameworld.

"We wanted the player using our app to look at their own smart device and feel that they had just plucked it off a rotting corpse in Dead Rising 3," writes senior designer Brent Arnst. "But of course it wouldn't be a phone unless players could have the experience of having the phone, or tablet, call them up! That meant we needed a living, breathing character that could phone or text the player at any time to offer advice, new missions or tempting prizes."

The Smartglass app includes all the typical features you'd expect, like "a map, a news feed with unique news stories, a hint app and mission tracker, and even a settings app to customize the player's ring tones and background wall paper." However, it also lets the user do handy things like call down military strikes or drop flares that distract zombies.

Turning your real-life phone into an in-game phone is just weird enough to be really awesome. However, the last time a game gave me an in-game cell phone, Roman kept calling me up to go see "big American titties."

Source: [a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BrentArnst/20131101/203888/Dead_Rising_3_Invades_SmartGlass.php]Gamasutra[/a]

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
I don't mind smartglass that much.
I mean being able to turn most common devices into the companion device is a great idea.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Quite afew games are looking to make their games more interactive beyond the console. I recall The Division making a tablet app to support the regular players. It can be cool if done correctly. Otherwise it's just a novel addition that no one will use. I just hope they don't make it exclusive to certain systems (ipad only) as mentioned.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
IanDavis said:
This is interesting. The Escapist alone has had several articles on the "cool" and "awesome" smartglass features in DR3. What new information did this article add? As far as I can see, nothing. What was the point?

OT- Capcom can go shove a phone up it's ass. For no reason should that content be exclusive to the smartglass app. I'm fairly certain I could have received those exclusive missions through my in game phone/radio like I would be getting the other missions. I can't throw a flare without using my phone. WTF is this stupidity? And I'm sure the artillery couldn't be called in on the in game map...

In short, smartglass and the xbone are the reasons I will not be getting DR3. At least for a long, long time.