Destiny On PC Will Have To Wait

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Destiny On PC Will Have To Wait

Destiny studio Bungie says it doesn't want to spread itself too thin by taking on too many platforms at once.

Bungie has hinted now and then that Destiny, its MMO-shaded follow-up to the Halo franchise that's currently being developed for PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, may also be released for the PC. Not anytime soon, however, as Destiny senior writer Eric Osborne said that developing it for the four platforms already confirmed is a "huge challenge" as is.

"We know there are a lot of people out there asking for PC and we know that there are a lot of gamers that would willingly give us money, but what we have to do is make sure we're focused enough to bring a good experience to any platform that we ship on," he told IGN. "What we 100 percent are not going to do is spread ourselves so thin that it negatively harms the other platforms. So right now we have the four platforms, which is a lot to focus on."

That lines up with Osborne's words from back in May [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124337-Destiny-May-Appear-On-PC-Says-Bungie], when he said that the studio hasn't committed one way or the other to a PC release but noted that "the more platforms we take on, the more work it ultimately becomes, and what we don't want is to compromise the core experience on any platforms."

Destiny is currently expected to launch in mid-2014.

Source: IGN [http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/destiny-devs-talk-space-travel-pc-and-microtransactions]

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Uh, what... aren't PS4, Xbone and PC kinda the same architecture vise? Why would they be developing for PS3 and X360 first? Not that I give a shit about another haloesque FPS (as this is shaping up to be)

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Considering that the PS4 and XboxOne's architecture was supposed to be so similar to PCs thus making the ports incredibly easy this just makes me rub my temples in frustration. It's one thing if they were like yea the 360 and PS3 versions are going to be delayed because the PS4 and XB1's architecture is so different than the previous generations and it's going to take a lot of time and money to downgrade the game to work on these older systems. The PC getting the delay makes the least bit of sense, at least in my humble opinion.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Whats destiny? Why even bother release for the PC if you're going to release late. You can claim it's all about getting the por done right etc etc but the truth is we all see through it. You don't want the PC to compete with the consoles and eat into your console sales figures. Certainly Microsoft and Sony don't them to. Bottom line is it is about cash.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I like how people "hate" this game like its a Halo game when it looks nothing like Halo at all

I see more a hybrid between Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls Online if anything.

I wouldn't mind a PC version of this game, as it would allow more users and thus more options.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
It is my destiny not to buy it unless the single player is great and it's on steam. Too many other options to make a console mmo-ey shooter worthwhile.

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
I don't mind it being late, but since they're probably developing it on a PC....

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Rednog said:
Considering that the PS4 and XboxOne's architecture was supposed to be so similar to PCs thus making the ports incredibly easy this just makes me rub my temples in frustration.
Yup.
Before, the comparatively "alien" nature between platforms would justify that sort of exclusivity, but far more likely, the real reason for giving PC the runaround is to milk the proprietary-secure console markets first, and then release the port on the less secure PC platform second.

While there is more required effort for a quality port on the more varied PC platform (for an example of failure, recall id Software's Rage), but the fact remains that the necessary effort to create a stable port is lower than ever now that both next-gen consoles and PC are more similar to each other.

So...yeah. I can't see this as being anything more than Bungee blowing smoke for the sake of PR.
I can't blame them entirely though; Openly admitting they have a strong bias for console sales wouldn't help them sell games, even if it was completely true and backed by financially sound object reasoning.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
My 360 is dead and ive never bothered to revive it, so it seems unlikely i'l get a xbox one.
Destiny seems like a good game but unless its got some amazing rpg elements to it, its not gonna make me get a new system.

Guess i'l just play Titanfall.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Hawkeye21 said:
Uh, what... aren't PS4, Xbone and PC kinda the same architecture vise? Why would they be developing for PS3 and X360 first? Not that I give a shit about another haloesque FPS (as this is shaping up to be)
Not really. 4 "set in stone" specs vs hundreds of combinations of Graphic Cards, memory, cpu, and other specs. It so much easier to develop for console. Xbox One and PS4 are more in line with PC development wise than Xbox 360 and PS3.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
It makes sense to me at least. This is their first big thing since Halo, and it's not hard to justify wanting to spend as much of their resources as possible in as few places as they can. Like trying to make it as well as they can for only a few targets, and only afterwards worrying about transporting it to the PC.

I know the architecture is really similar, but that's still at least some money being spent on porting during the development process. It seems reasonable to do that after the development is over, and it's already on consoles.

WashAran

Jun 28, 2012
rhizhim said:
WashAran said:
That still does not mean it is going to happen.
at least they are considering it.
thats more than a lot of publishers and developers even care to think about nowadays.
The point I made was more about the headline of the article.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Great. So these idiots are wasting time developing for two outdated systems that weren't that hot in their prime, that are on their way to the junkyard, AND for the systems will be their replacements. Yeah that makes sense.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I don't care if we don't get it immediately. I'll be just as happy getting it at some point as I would be with a joint release.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Hawkeye21 said:
Uh, what... aren't PS4, Xbone and PC kinda the same architecture wise? Why would they be developing for PS3 and X360 first? Not that I give a shit about another haloesque FPS (as this is shaping up to be)
On the hardware level, yes.

Not on the software level, the PS4 dose not use DirectX to manage how software running on it accesses the hardware resources. While the XBone dose, it uses a different version to the one the PC uses.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
I think companies are seeing how well GTA5 sold without the hassle of a PC releases and are adjusting their forecast to such. Add that to incentives they're most assuredly getting from the big 3(If I was Sony, Nin., and MS add I'd try to obliterate Valve)and the delays/non-releases are sensible. Problem is, they're not R*

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
Vie said:
Hawkeye21 said:
Uh, what... aren't PS4, Xbone and PC kinda the same architecture wise? Why would they be developing for PS3 and X360 first? Not that I give a shit about another haloesque FPS (as this is shaping up to be)
On the hardware level, yes.

Not on the software level, the PS4 dose not use DirectX to manage how software running on it accesses the hardware resources. While the XBone dose, it uses a different version to the one the PC uses.
PS4 is using a modified OpenGL api and XB1 is using straight up DX 11(if I recall). Add in the engines their developing on, which I'm sure they're designed to port between both, I really doubt 'spreading thin' is the case. If so, they have a really bad pipeline/engine.

Software side it shouldn't be much of an issue with the way current engines work with high lvl api's, it should be down to HW, which is standard X86 PC specs. That said, I've only done basic level coding so I could be WAY off(which I probably am).