Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes Will Sneak up on You Spring 2014

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes Will Sneak up on You Spring 2014

Ground Zeroes, a stand-alone prologue, will set the stage for The Phantom Pain.

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes, the first entry in the two-game MGS 5 saga, will hit stores next spring, publisher Konami announced today. Ground Zeroes will be a shorter stand-alone game that serves as the prologue to The Phantom Pain.

In Ground Zeroes, a rescue mission sending Naked Snake (AKA Big Boss) into a Cuban prison camp goes bad, forcing Snake to operate alone behind enemy lines. According to Konami, The Phantom Pain will pick up the story from the end of Ground Zeroes.

At the same time, the announcement finally closes the book on the confusing story surrounding the relationship between the two games: Ground Zeroes was revealed first, followed by a trailer for The Phantom Pain, which Konami initially claimed was an entirely new project from a fake developer Moby Dick Studios. After Konami dropped the charade and confirmed that The Phantom Pain was, in fact, Metal Gear Solid 5, many assumed that Ground Zeroes was just a code name, prompting Konami to clarify that Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are two separate games.

Given the game's smaller size, Ground Zeroes will retail for $30, sold digitally on Xbox One and PS4 for $30, and will cost $20 digitally on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Both Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain will be released on PS4, Xbox One, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Sources: Gamespot [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/04/metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-breaks-cover-in-spring-2014/]

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
They aren't charging full price for it? Wow. Good on them. The digital version is even cheaper than the physical copy, unless my reading comprehension is shot.

I'm definitely picking this up when it comes out.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I reckon that the equivalent of $30 would be worth it if it has a completion time of at least 6 hours.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hmmm really thought it was going to be like in MGS2 were the Tanker level was the prologue and the Big Shell was the main game.

Maybe they might put GZ and PP together in one disc in the future?

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I'd hate to see how big the download is, they do love their cutscenes, might be a retail copy for me!

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
It can suck or it can be a great deal, it all depends on the amount of content and pricing (PP is still left unknown, hoping that its less then 69,99$)

One thing that bugs me though, GZ is described as an "entry-level", and like it was already said by Kojima its supposed to ease in the transition of typical Metal Gear to these games (with their open world mechanics), meaning that even though its not a tutorial it will most defenitly be somewhat lighter on its core gameplay (for example, only near the end you may have access to all the gameplay mechanics being most of the game about slowly earning/learning them, smaller map, less possibilities, etc...) so maybe I should probably just wait for PP and watch GZ on youtube for the story since the gameplay will be identical if not less then PP has to offer.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Not a bad deal I suppose, but I'm still a 95 percent physical consumer, so I guess a slightly higher price won't kill me to have a copy on the shelf the way I like it. I am surprised that there is supposed to be two games, I guess I missed that announcement.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Michael Epstein said:
Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes, the first entry in the two-game MGS 5 saga, will hit stores next spring, publisher Konami announced today. Ground Zeroes will be a shorter stand-alone game that serves as the prologue to The Phantom Pain.
The keywords are short and stand alone. Knowing this some might just skip it and wait for Phantom. But chances are you're a fan of the series and will pick it up. Fact that it's cheaper doesn't hurt, and I'm sure we'll enjoy this prologue for all it's worth. A $20-30 dollar game I don't expect much in the way of cut scenes, but there will be plenty of story to build up for Phantom.