Metroid and A Link to The Past Join Club Nintendo Rewards

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Metroid and A Link to The Past Join Club Nintendo Rewards

Time to break out all of those coins you've been hoarding.

Nintendo has just updated the digital games available to purchase from the Club Nintendo star catalog, and they are actually not completely terrible this time around. Heading up the 3DS selection is the original Metroid, and the quirky, but still satisfying, tower defense/action-adventure Dillon's Rolling Western. On the WiiWare side, we have The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past and... Art Style: CUBELLO. Oh well, three outta four ain't bad.

Metroid, A Link to The Past and Art Style will set you back 150 coins each, while Dillon's Rolling Western is a little bit more expensive at 200 coins.

Metroid and A Link to The Past speak for themselves, classics of their time recreated on Nintendo's extensive virtual console. Metroid was initially released exclusively for Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors back in 2011, and was made available to the public in 2012. A Link to The Past first appeared on the Wii's virtual console back in 2007.

Dillon's Rolling Western is one of those 3DS download-only titles, that's not quite a full game, but not really DSiware either. If you have the coins, it's worth picking up.

Club Nintendo rewards are purchased with coins, earned by signing up to Club Nintendo, registering games and systems you have purchased, and completing surveys. These games will be available until December 8, at which point a new batch of downloadable titles will replace them.

Source: Club Nintendo [https://club.nintendo.com/rewards.do]

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Still nothing I'm interested in getting. I have Metroid from the Ambassador program. I might have been interested in Link To The Past, but I'd rather have gotten it on the 3DS too. Having to get my Wii together to play it whenever I want is actually a hassle at this point. Dillion sounds a lot like a game idea I had though, which makes me sad. It seems like it'd be a bit too grindy for my tastes from the trailer. Cubello looks meh.

I think they should reduce the coin costs on these though. 100 for older/less popular titles, and 150 for stuff like Dillion, seems better to me. It's important to keep in mind that 100 coins is equal to about $100 spent in Nintendo products. Not including game systems, which are worth oddly less despite being the only one making sure you bought it. Registering a Wii U, for example, wouldn't even get you Dillion.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kapol said:
Still nothing I'm interested in getting. I have Metroid from the Ambassador program. I might have been interested in Link To The Past, but I'd rather have gotten it on the 3DS too. Having to get my Wii together to play it whenever I want is actually a hassle at this point. Dillion sounds a lot like a game idea I had though, which makes me sad. It seems like it'd be a bit too grindy for my tastes from the trailer. Cubello looks meh.

I think they should reduce the coin costs on these though. 100 for older/less popular titles, and 150 for stuff like Dillion, seems better to me. It's important to keep in mind that 100 coins is equal to about $100 spent in Nintendo products. Not including game systems, which are worth oddly less despite being the only one making sure you bought it. Registering a Wii U, for example, wouldn't even get you Dillion.
Well, its not like you buy them to get these bonus games. They are supposed to be extra rewards for buying Nintendo products you'd hopefully bought regardless. I have tons of coins from things, and its nice to get a extra little prize with my coins.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Awww, I was hoping to have A Link to the Past on my 3DS but oh well, Metroid it is.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
if Link to the Past was for 3DS I would buy it in a heart beat but since it's WiiWare only I'll pass, I have Rolling Western and Metroid already on the 3DS so really nothing to see here :(

seriously Nintendo you're giving us the sequel to LttP why not give us the original as well! ...unless... Link to the Past is unlocked after beating Link Between Worlds :D

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Saelune said:
Well, its not like you buy them to get these bonus games. They are supposed to be extra rewards for buying Nintendo products you'd hopefully bought regardless. I have tons of coins from things, and its nice to get a extra little prize with my coins.
I have a lot of coins too. But I still have them since there's nothing really great that I want to get. I pointed out the issues with the games. And the rest of the prizes are just kinda... meh. For lowering the 'price' of the games, rewarding people with the game costs Nintendo nothing but theoretical money. They're digital downloads anyways. It's nice that they've available. But I think they're overcosted when you can buy their new system that they're trying to get more people to buy and still not be able to afford the only good non-port they're offering.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Oh looks like I finally get to use my coins for my Club Nintendo account. Seriously, I've got a like 1,000 coins and have no use for them.
Mainly that's because the Club Nintendo prizes in the NA region are no where near as good as the ones in Japan or in Europe.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I wuld buy Link to The Past... but I still have a SNES and the game itself soooo...

I wish they'd start putting SNES games onto 3DS, I wanna play Yoshi's island