Nintendo Explains Why Digital Games Aren't Any Cheaper

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Explains Why Digital Games Aren't Any Cheaper

Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata says cheaper digital games could hurt the value people put on big franchises like Mario and Pokemon

You may have noticed that Nintendo has been making a push into digital distribution of its games this generation, with a large portion of its 3DS and Wii U library being made available for purchase through its online eShop. While you may think that digital distribution = no manufacturing/shipping costs, so therefore cheaper games, all of the digital games available on Nintendo's online stores are priced exactly the same as their retail counterparts. Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata explains that making the digital versions of games cheaper could potentially devalue them when compared to their boxed versions.

"[Digital games aren't cheaper] because we want consumers to value software as highly as possible and because we have been trying to heighten the value of our software whenever we produce it," Iwata said during an investor Q&A [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/131031qa/index.html], adding "We decided that, since the contents are the same, the company would offer the software at the same price, be it the packaged version or the digital version."

He said that people have come to expect that big name Nintendo franchises such as Mario and Pokemon will be well "worth the price" before even purchasing them, announcing that sales for titles such as Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and Pokemon X and Y have been very strong for both their respective digital and retail versions.

Iwata did conceed that he was open to the concept of lower price points for digital games if the game in question is a new IP, or a franchise with well-known characters, but new gameplay features. Examples of this already happening include the Mario Vs. Donkey Kong franchise, and Dillon's Rolling Western.

"For these titles, if we take the ordinary approach of selling the packaged software, the software might not reach its full sales potential, and even when we are able to create something interesting, the games often can just fade away without being noticed by consumers," Iwata said.

Source: Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-explains-why-its-digital-games-are-not-less-expensive/1100-6415997/]

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
So digital games are the same price as physical copies cause publishers want more money.

Yet another blinding insight from Nintendo.

Didn't this industry used to be about producing fun entertaining software for the delight and wonder of the general public?

NuclearCatsplosion

Oct 10, 2012
Isalan said:
So digital games are the same price as physical copies cause publishers want more money.

Yet another blinding insight from Nintendo.

Didn't this industry used to be about producing fun entertaining software for the delight and wonder of the general public?
The problem it, it's still a business. It'd be wonderful if there was some way for it not to be, but to make games people need money. I'm not saying I'm DISAGREEING, it's just a sad truth.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
RT said:
Wow, the amount of bullshit is staggering.
This is exactly (word for word) what I wanted to say.

Seriously Nintendo, I love you, I love digital distribution and I don't mind paying more for digital version than physical versions (especially on 3DS since then I can switch between games on the go more easily), but please don't make such bullshit excuses.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Isalan said:
All it is and all it ever will be. The excuse they've come up with is hogwash. Granted, there have been mixed reports for their finances and they've let people go, but please don't use an excuse like something EA would use.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
So its an altered version of why EA is aginst Steam Sales?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117725-Origin-Boss-Says-Steam-Sales-Cheapen-Intellectual-Property

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Ed130 said:
So its an altered version of why EA is aginst Steam Sales?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117725-Origin-Boss-Says-Steam-Sales-Cheapen-Intellectual-Property
Yes but since Nintendo doesn't have the hate bandwagon like EA they will just get shrugged off as retarded instead of everyone having an uproar. lol

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Digital should be cheaper by virtue of no box, no manual, and no 3rd party selling it. Period. End of fucking statement. Charging the same is absurd and I will never buy a digital copy over a boxed copy if the price stays the same. Ever.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
*bzzzt* Wrong! Iwata-san, do you want to take another shot?

Content is the same between retail and digital, true; however content is not the only cost involved with manufacturing and shipping games, is it? Digital cuts out many of those costs and so surely the nice thing to do would be to transfer those reductions to your loyal paying customer who will thank you for your nice service, rather than pocketing the difference and telling your loyal paying customer that they should value you more.

Also, where I look eShop prices aren't the same as their retail counterparts. They're more expensive.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
That's fine Nintendo, I'll just buy physical copies then. Atleast then I get what I pay for and can even get a bargain...

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
"We could make them cheaper, but we won't. We're also not sorry."

Basically what I read.

So when I buy a digital game, really I'm just doing Nintendo a favor since it's saving them money on the production of a physical copy. That's pretty much it exactly. Okay, I get it. You want to save money. That's fair. But what do I get out of it? I have to go buy a fucking SD card for Luigi's Mansion because the game is so huge that the default SD card doesn't have enough room on it. So there's another 19.99 out of my pocket. Oh, and if I want Fire Emblem, I'll have to splurge on an even bigger card.

What the hell am I getting out of paying the same price for a digital copy as I would have if I had just gone and bought the physical copy, which I could then sell back if I don't like? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. The worst part of it is that there are people who will defend this kind of behavior because, for some reason, they seem to like getting screwed by Nintendo.

Well, they'll never get a digital sale out of me, which sucks because the new Phoenix Wright is digital only. =/

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
What's that, a company president explaining a basic business pricing strategy to investors? A practice that's well researched, tested and proven to work if pulled off correctly? And, it's being used by a company?! The world is truly ending..

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
Ahh... So THAT'S why PC games are ludicrously expensive on Steam, just like in retail shops. Oh wait... No. No they're not. Most of them aren't even CLOSE to expensive on Steam. Huh. Guess all those discounted games and IPs are completely worthless by now, hey Nintendo?

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Yeah, Microsoft pretty much said the same thing when it came to the digital games, and judging by Sony's prices, I'm thinking they think the same way, as well.

Which I'm glad Steamboxes are on their way. I probably won't get one (because I have a PC, which is already a Steambox), but if forces the big three to charge more reasonably for their digital goods, I'm all for it.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
chikusho said:
A practice that's well researched, tested and proven to work if pulled off correctly?
Yeah! 'cause charging retail price for digital content is working out great for EA Origin.

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
Nintendo, I don't care that you are doing this, however, don't try to BS your consumer base, we're dumb but not that dumb. If your going to dick us, at least be honest about it. It is the reason that no one really cares when Activision does it.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
So basically the same thing every other publisher has stated.

Honestly, why is anyone surprised that Nintendo will do this?

This is the company that has games that are notorious for never dropping in price.
The last thing I expect is the digital version of their new releases being cheaper than the physical copy.