Disney, Netflix Team Up To Bring Marvel's Flawed Heroes To Life

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Disney, Netflix Team Up To Bring Marvel's Flawed Heroes To Life

Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Daredevil will get their time in the spotlight in 2015.

Netflix and Disney join forces in a titantic team-up to bring Marvel's Flawed Heroes of Hell's Kitchen to life. A four series epic - each with thirteen episodes - will start with Daredevil, then Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage. Once all that's done, there will be a culminating The Defenders mini-series event, with the heroes in a dream team facing off against the worst that New York has to offer.

"This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel's brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling," says Marvel President Alan Fine. "Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel's specialty." The series will be a Netflix exclusive, and will begin in 2015.

Netflix is "thrilled" to be bringing Marvel's characters to its network, says Chief Content Ted Sarandos, and no wonder. It's yet another coup for the on-demand company, but then it already has a very strong relationship with Disney. From 2016 onwards, it will be the exclusive television service for first-run, live action and animated Walt Disney movies too, and that includes everything from Pixar to Lucasfilm, plus, of course, Marvel Studios.

Luke Cage, now there's a blast from the past. Hell's Kitchen [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell%27s_Kitchen,_Manhattan] is a bit more gentrified since his 1970s heyday, but it'll be fun seeing him taming those not-quite-so-mean streets again!

Source: Marvel [http://marvel.com/news/story/21476/disneys_marvel_and_netflix_join_forces_to_develop_historic_four_series_epic_plus_a_mini-series_event]

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
This sounds interesting. 4 live-action series. But will they share the marvel cinematic universe?

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
So what about all of us that don't have Netflix in our countries. I really hope it'll only be a timed exclusive thing, or at least get a DVD release.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Ne1butme said:
This sounds interesting. 4 live-action series. But will they share the marvel cinematic universe?
This is exactly my thinking. Normally, Marvel mention the cinematic universe connections as much as possible but it's worryingly absent here. I really hope this is part of the wider universe.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Add another feather in Marvel's cap. This is very surprising/great news to hear. Netflix has been doing great with their streaming series like Orange is the New Black and this is another media for Marvel/Disney to branch out and expand its cinematic universe. Glad to find out that they're putting Daredevil back into play after getting the rights back from Fox. Kinda wish they went with Heroes for Hire for the team name but that's just nitpicking. I hope this will lead to a Punisher series down the road. This is another character that would work best on TV rather than movies but that's just me.

Of course, this news is just another handful of salt on the open wound of DC Entertainment being unable to compete with the competition on multiple levels. The reason they made DC Entertainment was to get into a pissing contest with Marvel Studios. Unfortunately, DC Comics these days suffer from a severe prostate problem. ^^;

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Ne1butme said:
Agreed, this is must know information. Will it be a subset of heroes in a post Battle of New York world? Are these some of the extraordinary people SHIELD already knows about? Will it be completely unrelated, and just be stories from the Marvel Universe?

Also, That's kinda weird. Shouldn't it be more of a Heroes for Hire affair? I mean...Iron Fist and Power Man? And why are they separate affairs? Wouldn't it make more sense to have them paired together? Three of the four already are pretty damn close, to my knowledge (I know next to nothing about Daredevil, except that he's from the same area).

Jan 12, 2012
the exclusive television service for first-run, live action and animated Walt Disney movies too, and that includes everything from Pixar to Lucasfilm, plus, of course, Marvel Studios.
As much as I love Netflix, this is getting a little scary. I think they'll do a good job with the shows, but that's a lot of potential money to concentrate in one services hands.

Amakusa

Jul 12, 2012
Hopefully it pans out for netflix since it looks promising those new series.