8 War Movies to Get You In The Mood For Call of Duty

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 War Movies to Get You In The Mood For Call of Duty

War movies are as American as apple pie and violence. Sit back and enjoy a short list of some of the greatest war movies to grace the silver screen.

Read Full Article

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
Whispering Death said:
Nothing like a list where you have no clue what half the list is. Pictures were pretty though.
If you click on the picture it will take you to the IMDB page for that movie.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I wouldn't put more than half of these films in the category of 'great war movies'. Maybe 'great propaganda movies'.

Funnily enough, the split almost works out exactly between the ones set in Vietnam and the ones set in WW2. Go ahead and guess which is which.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
They maybe be american, but America has more money to spend on war movies than the UK. lol. With the USA, there were no UK troops in WW2. lol. Im joking, well, that U157 or whatever was a total lie. But if we are talking about movies i would say go watch Saving Private Ryan or The Hurt Locker. I do wish they made more WW2 games, have no interest in the MW or BLOPS games...or ghosts. I guess im love the historical part of the games.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
My favorite war movie is Black Hawk Down. Exciting, realistic depiction of the Battle of Mogadishu, and great acting. It downplayed the role of the Pakistani Army but it was very good. And it's on Netflix. I only recognized two of those on the list, Full Metal Jacket and Saving Private Ryan but I don't think they would be at all what COD players are looking for.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Hmm not a bad list, only ones I didn't recognize were 6 and 8.

Surprised that "Black Hawk Down" wasn't on the list.

Besides some of the ones listed, other favorites of mine would be "Kelly's Heroes" and "The Three Kings".

SonOfVoorhees said:
T With the USA, there were no UK troops in WW2. lol. Im joking, well, that U157 or whatever was a total lie.
LOL, while U-571 was complete rubbish in the historical department, I still enjoyed it if only because around the time of its release it was the only submarine movie that had come out in years. Sure its no "The Enemy Below" or "Das Boot", but in the end it was a decent submarine movie, IMO.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Isn't Ghosts set somewhere in the future? From what I can tell, these are all WW2 and Vietnam movies. The only CoD this could get me in the mood for is 1,2,3 and WaW (5).

Jul 31, 2013
Sarge034 said:
Kennetic said:
My favorite war movie is Black Hawk Down.
Same here. I was also surprised We Were Soldiers didn't make the cut.
I'm suprprised that neither of these were on the list either, along with Kelly's Heroes.
Of course some of my personal favourites didn't make the list either:

Gallipoli
Sink the Bismarck
Went the Day Well?

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
If there is a movie on earth that would make me NOT want to play Call of Duty, it would be Black Hawk Down. BHD made me drink scotch and thank God that I was not a soldier.