BioWare Photos Offer First Glimpse at Next Mass Effect

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
BioWare Photos Offer First Glimpse at Next Mass Effect

BioWare celebrated N7 Day with a chain of tweets remembering Mass Effect's past and teasing a few details about its future.

November 7 marks N7 Day, according to BioWare. Mapping Commander Shepard's elite military rank to our primitive Earth calendar, it's a Mass Effect-inspired holiday that BioWare seems to have created by sheer force of will. Even if you don't celebrate it, the developers certainly do [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOaC7WzlfKc] - BioWare's assorted staff members have spent the last 24 hours composing a rousing message across several different Twitter accounts, chained together with the #N7Day13 hashtag. Series fans may want to pay particularly close attention to the last few tweets, as they show the BioWare team hard at work on the next installment to the Mass Effect franchise.

[gallery=1874]

BioWare bigwigs like executive producer Casey Hudson and series producer Mike Gamble took part in the tweet parade, reminiscing about Mass Effect's past installments and looking forward to its future. A handful of photos taken in the BioWare office include screens of assets and possibly gameplay of the work-in-progress successor to the Commander Shepard trilogy. This collection of tweets, when put together, reads, "The next chapter of Mass Effect is upon us!! With new characters to fall in love with, new enemies to encounter, and new worlds to explore!"

We can see a few of those bullet points in progress: one member of the team is working on concept art for a presumably-important character (which looks to be a Turian), while another illustrates a lush alien planet. Of course we have no idea what any of this concept art will turn out to be in the game, but the message is clear: more Mass Effect is on the way, and BioWare is all kinds of excited about it.

Source: Storify [https://twitter.com/CaseyDHudson/status/398495006953975809/photo/1]

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
No doubt this will end up being a tablet/mobile game of some sort. Same crap Square Enix pulled with Deus Ex: The Fall.

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
Let's hope it won't suck. My bullshit meter is indicating high quantities of bullshit, but I hope they manage to make something great. Mass Effect deserves more love and less hate.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I guess the question I'm asking is are the fans excited about it and ready for more ME? I think it will take a massive hit on the debacle that is know as ME3 so I guess the real question is, "Is it too soon?"

As a fan, I had hoped that DA:I and at least one other game would have came out before the next ME. Just so Bioware could prove if they still have what it takes to make good stories or if the likes of DA2 and ME3 are how it is going to be from now on. Oh well.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Leviano said:
No doubt this will end up being a tablet/mobile game of some sort. Same crap ubisoft pulled with Deus Ex: The Fall.
First of all that was Square Enix, not Ubisoft. And second, next Mass Effect will be a AAA next-gen title running on Frostbite 3 engine.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
Leviano said:
No doubt this will end up being a tablet/mobile game of some sort. Same crap ubisoft pulled with Deus Ex: The Fall.
First of all that was Square Enix, not Ubisoft. And second, next Mass Effect will be a AAA next-gen title running on Frostbite 3 engine.
Fixed it, I do apologise for the slip up, was installing Blood Dragon at the time. Also, I don't see any reference to triple A unless its in the source material which i can't be bothered clicking.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I know the comments are going to be negative. I don't care. I'm going to be optimistic about this game until it releases.
And then very possibly suicidal if it turns out to be poop. But until then! Blind fanboyism goddamnit.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
It will be a grand glorious 3 part game; That forgets important facts between installments, change what type of game it wants to be each time and culminate in a Red/Green/Blue ending.

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
I am unashamedly stoked. With anything else, I would perhaps recognise the value of letting a franchise end once it's story is told. I had no interest in Halo, for example, after Reach. Hell, these days I'm even inclined to believe the Firefly universe would have been better left without Serenity, and certainly it didn't need The Shepherd's Tale comic.

But damnit, Mass Effect offers me something I just don't think I'll ever get from other games. So long as they don't get too fantastical with the already tenuous science, I don't care if it doesn't live up to the first or second game. All I need is a character I can customise, a ship and that galaxy map. No other game has given me the sense of a wide open universe quite like Mass Effect's galaxy map. I know you can't actually land on most of those planets, but the descriptions... I could (and have) read those for hours. Coupled with 'dat music'...

The atmosphere of all three Mass Effect games, the general seamlessness of its setting could keep me coming back forever.

One and only turn off would be if they declare Synthesis any form of canon. But so long as that's avoided, bring it on Bioware.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i think i wait to hear how the ending is. me3 was as such a really good game if it woulndt be for the ending. for now, i just wait and see.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
I just hope EA doesn't butcher it,releasing it with 5 to 10 different day 1 dlcs,and always online DRM.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
ME3 was such a huge disappointment. Not only was the story ending a catastrophe the game itself was stupid as hell. If it hadn't been for the good story moments in between I wouldn't even have tried to get to the end.....

I was so bored and annoyed by many of the "features". Even the conversation system was dumbed down....

Bah all of this just makes me so angry again....

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
kiri2tsubasa said:
Looking at those pictures their is only one thing i want to know. What is that thing in pic 5?
That's the Thorians great-grandfather. Anyway, five pics isn't a lot to go on, but it's cool to know there's more Mass Effect in the works. Any chance we can get uncharted planets back again, somewhat like ME1. I'd like to think the landscape in pic 3 is part of some uncharted planet.

I see in pic 4, someone has a well guarded desk. Garrus, Grunt and (what looks like) Legion? They may be small, but they still pack a punch..

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
And third, made by the team behind the ME3 Multiplayer content and Citadel DLC.

In other words, nothing to get really excited for so far.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
nodlimax said:
ME3 was such a huge disappointment. Not only was the story ending a catastrophe the game itself was stupid as hell. If it hadn't been for the good story moments in between I wouldn't even have tried to get to the end.....

I was so bored and annoyed by many of the "features". Even the conversation system was dumbed down....

Bah all of this just makes me so angry again....
I think I should remind you that we can't criticize BioWare since everything they do is because they want to maintain their artistic integrity. Bad gameplay designs, streamlined dialogues and incoherent story written by monkeys on crack are all part of much bigger picture we, mere mortal gamers, cannot comprehend.

New ME is highly likely to fail mostly because BW and EA board of directors will try to play safe and target action-adventure fans again instead of RPG crowd. The game will be a rehash of already established BW cliches with same writers that drove ME story to the ground. I'd like to be wrong though...

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Cautiously optimist, but I' avoiding all spoilers. I did that with AC: Black Flag and have enjoyed the game all the more for it!

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I'm taking an Animation major with a Concept art for games minor just to do what they are doing now.

I am a Sophomore and still have no idea how to do what they are doing now.

Fuck.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Cognimancer said:
November 7 marks N7 Day, according to BioWare. Mapping Commander Shepard's elite military rank to our primitive Earth calendar, it's a Mass Effect-inspired holiday that BioWare seems to have created by sheer force of will.
N7 isn't Commander Shepard's rank, it's his proficiency. N indicates special operations and efficacy in that field is rated on a 1-7 scale.