Rome Total War 2 Coming To Steam OS

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Rome Total War 2 Coming To Steam OS

Full controller and Big Picture support will be available as soon as Creative Assembly gets its grubby mitts on a dev kit.

"We've always wanted the Total War franchise to be enjoyed by living room gamers," says Creative Assembly, "but the limitations of traditional hardware made our style of game play impossible." With the launch of the Steam OS, those days are done, and now Creative Assembly's on the Steam bandwagon. Full support for the OS, its Controller and Big Picture will be available as soon as it gets access to a developer kit, and Rome II will launch on Linux early next year.

"Pick up a copy of the game this weekend while it's 25% off," Creative Assembly promises, "and you'll be able to play the Linux version as soon as it launches!" most successful Total War title to date [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10575-Total-War-Rome-II-Review-Si-Vis-Pacem-Para-Bellum], allowing you to take your legions and crush the ancient world under your sandals, while at the same time dealing with sneaky politics at home.

Creative Assembly's confident that the Steam Controller will give gamers as fun a Total War experience as keyboard and mouse ever could. We shall see; there isn't a confirmed release for the Steam Machines [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128156-Valve-Unveils-Steam-Machines-Hardware-Beta-Coming-Soon], but all indications suggest they're due mid 2014.

Source: Creative Assembly [http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/1946973719015581944]

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Even with 25% off, its still not worth it. Save your HDD space people.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Okay so this answers my question of just what the Steam OS will offer those gamers who are sick of Windows yet have no desire to play their games in the fucking living room. IE NOTHING. Thanks, I'm out. No longer have any interest in this product.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Psychobabble said:
Okay so this answers my question of just what the Steam OS will offer those gamers who are sick of Windows yet have no desire to play their games in the fucking living room. IE NOTHING. Thanks, I'm out. No longer have any interest in this product.
If you're sick of Windows, just get one of the obscene number of Linux distros out already. What you're getting from SteamOS even if you don't use it is wider compatibility of products with your operating system.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
MCerberus said:
Psychobabble said:
If you're sick of Windows, just get one of the obscene number of Linux distros out already. What you're getting from SteamOS even if you don't use it is wider compatibility of products with your operating system.
Oh I dual boot with Zorin 7 (Ubuntu). My problem is that it's usually a pain in the ass to get games written for windblows to work well on Linux, if you can get them to work at all. What I was hoping for was an OS that developers could develop games for easier therefore making it a desirable platform. Sadly though with this announcement it looks like most of the development process will be towards tailoring the games to work on the damn Steam Box for living room gaming, and they'll just have users stream their windows native games from their windows PCs, which aren't features I care about.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Psychobabble said:
You do know that if it work on SteamOS it will also work on a regular Linux distro that has all the dependency available. SteamOS is just so game developer have a game centric Linux to target that will have a standardized system infrastructure for their use.

Psychobabble said:
Oh I dual boot with Zorin 7 (Ubuntu). My problem is that it's usually a pain in the ass to get games written for windblows to work well on Linux, if you can get them to work at all. What I was hoping for was an OS that developers could develop games for easier therefore making it a desirable platform. Sadly though with this announcement it looks like most of the development process will be towards tailoring the games to work on the damn Steam Box for living room gaming, and they'll just have users stream their windows native games from their windows PCs, which aren't features I care about.
What are you talking about, the article plainly say they have going for a Linux native version. Has for the control they are doing a custom fit to the steam controller so it got better gamepad control then the legacy mode, but regular keyboard and mouse should still be available, unless they are stupid.