Heroes of the Storm Beta Now Open for Sign-Ups

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Heroes of the Storm Beta Now Open for Sign-Ups

Players can sign up on the game's official site for a first crack at Blizzard's take on the MOBA genre.

If you're eager to finally settle the argument about whether Starcraft's Kerrigan could take down Warcraft's Arthas in a fight, you can click over to <a href=http://www.heroesofthestorm.com/en-us>the official site for Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm and sign up for the game's beta now. Blizzard announced the sign-ups going live today at their BlizzCon event in Anaheim.

Formerly titled Blizzard All-Stars, Heroes of the Storm grabs many of Blizzard's best known characters and, Super Smash Bros. style, throws them into a battle arena to duke it out. The game they're playing, though, is more in line with MOBA titles such as Dota 2 or League of Legends, but with a few twists on the formula.

Some of the unique features of Heroes are outlined in a new YouTube video posted by Blizzard. They include an average match time of 15 to 20 minutes, rewards shared equally among all players involved in a kill and the ability to customize your character with one of several "ultimate" abilities. Also included are multiple maps with secondary objectives, which can range from collecting loot to secure the assistance of an undead pirate to gathering scattered bones to assemble an undead golem. No release date has been announced yet for Heroes of the Storm, but the game's new <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ecv0bT9DEo>cinematic trailer may whet your appetite for the space marine-on-demon-on-alien bug violence.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/8/5081372/heroes-of-the-storm-beta-signups-live>Polygon

Chimichanga

Jun 27, 2009
Aw god damn it.

Does anyone else see the pattern here? First everyone was trying to jump the MMO/WoW bandwagon when they saw how much scratch Blizzard was making, and now it has inverted itself with Blizzard hopping the growing MOBA/LoL bandwagon after seeing how much scratch Riot is making.

I suspect that we're going to see so many new MOBAs in the future that we will stop griping about game devs trying to make a quick buck with WoW clones as they now try to make cash-grab copies of LoL.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Chimichanga said:
I suspect that we're going to see so many new MOBAs in the future that we will stop griping about game devs trying to make a quick buck with WoW clones as they now try to make cash-grab copies of LoL.
That's already happening. EAs Dawngate, Sins of a Dark Age from the Sins of a Solar Empire people, the bloody Lord of the Rings MOBA...

It's been happening already and will continue for too long.

That said I do really like trying out new ones for the hour or two they're interesting so I'm quite looking forward to this, and have a little higher expectations than any others.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Chimichanga said:
Aw god damn it.

Does anyone else see the pattern here? First everyone was trying to jump the MMO/WoW bandwagon when they saw how much scratch Blizzard was making, and now it has inverted itself with Blizzard hopping the growing MOBA/LoL bandwagon after seeing how much scratch Riot is making.

Remember this is Blizzard we are talking about. They announced it over 3 years ago, it not like it been a secret. THey take forever to develop games.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
DazZ. said:
Chimichanga said:
That's already happening. EAs Dawngate, Sins of a Dark Age from the Sins of a Solar Empire people, the bloody Lord of the Rings MOBA...

It's been happening already and will continue for too long.

That said I do really like trying out new ones for the hour or two they're interesting so I'm quite looking forward to this, and have a little higher expectations than any others.
So I had never heard of Sins of a Dark Age until just now, and I really feel like Ironclad missed a golden opportunity with it.

I for one would play the shit out of a space based MOBA. Ship to ship combat in an asteroid field, a space station at each end for the bases, fighters and bombers instead of minions, rather than having heroes to choose from, you choose ship classes with different hardpoint configurations...