Heroes of The Storm First Gameplay Trailer Has Unicorns

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Heroes of The Storm First Gameplay Trailer Has Unicorns

The trailer offers a sneak peek at the champions, maps, and features of Blizzard's upcoming MOBA.

In Heroes of the Storm [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129472-Heroes-of-the-Storm-Beta-Now-Open-for-Sign-Ups], you'll be able to ride into battle on a trusty steed. You can also play as Diablo, the Lord of Terror. What kind of mount would terror himself use, you may ask? Why, one of the unicorns from Diablo III's secret rainbows and unicorn level, of course. This two minute trailer offers a glimpse into what you can expect from Blizzard's upcoming MOBA, showing off a large array of champions, unique abilities, and maps.

Among the champions shown were a mix of iconic Blizzard characters (Arthas, Diablo, Jim Raynor), classes from its various games (Demon Hunter, Paladin), and even some returning favorites from the original DoTA game (do I see Pudge?!).

As well as the standard "three corridors" map that we've come to expect out of MOBA games, Blizzard was keen to state that Heroes of the Storm would come with several, unique maps. One of the maps shown in the trailer featured a boat siege, while another featured an underground mine that players could teleport to.

Graphically, the game looks quite nice. It has that "cartoony" feel that makes it look like a natural progression of Warcraft III.

One of the features Blizzard talked about during the game's reveal was the ability to let champions customize their "ultimate" ability. This trailer in particular featured Jim Raynor calling on the Hyperion, and Arthas summoning Sindragosa.

Source: Blizzard [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_fAkO3WOSY]

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
I liked the cinematic and the gameplay trailer. Sure as hell isn't gonna make me quit Dota 2. If it has a business model anything like valve's and not like Riot's bullshit buy your heroes, I'm sold.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
I like what I see so far. Hardly a radical alteration on the formula, but looks fun nonetheless. I like the alternate maps. More maps are always welcome (especially if you can only change the maps without changing the game mode too RIOT. I'd like something besides summoner's rift for 5v5, even just an aesthetic change would go miles to make the game feel less samey).

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
I hate LoL, I hate Dota, I hate this, I hate the entire moba genre.

Here's why: back in high school, when everyone else was playing Dota over LAN during class, I was the one who was trying to get them all to play vanilla Warcraft 3 (to no avail).

Maybe my frustration towards my classmates for their insistent perversion of a perfectly good RTS has just been left to fester too long, all I know is that I'm never touching this.

Desert Punk said:
Ok looks alright.

have to say though, I am disappointed there was no "Nuclear Launch Detected" in the trailer. You have a ghost right there!
Here, take your nukular launch detected business.

You can keep that bloody ghost too. Drives me up the wall, she does. There's sex appeal and then there's that.

Raynor was neat, though.

Xelzeno said:
Huh, yea. Looks fun. NOW SCRAP THAT AND GIVE ME WARCRAFT IV!
Your opinion is objectively correct.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Desert Punk said:
Wow that is the first time I have seen that trailer, that was pretty damn awesome.

And I dunno, I kinda liked the Ghost, shes the same as she is in Starcraft 2 if I recall.
Nova was nowhere near that ostentatious, she was a badass.

Well... maybe not a badass, but she was professional.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Well at least Blizzard is trying to introduce some fresh ideas into the genre. I like the idea of having a couple of maps each with specific mechanics, theme and gameplay style. Beats the old Dota map they are afraid to change to not upset the balance (while introducing broken concepts like bloodseeker and invoker combo in the recent patch -.-)

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
james.sponge said:
Well at least Blizzard is trying to introduce some fresh ideas into the genre. I like the idea of having a couple of maps each with specific mechanics, theme and gameplay style. Beats the old Dota map they are afraid to change to not upset the balance (while introducing broken concepts like bloodseeker and invoker combo in the recent patch -.-)
While I think it might be an interesting concept, I highly doubt the variations will work, the general 5v5 map is what it is for a reason. It's a tried and true map; it reminds me of when Blizz threw out all those various other battlegrounds in addition to AB,WSG, and AV. While they were interesting and fresh concepts they wore out pretty quickly and in general people just sighed when they got tossed into it from random que.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
So HoTS is essentially the Blizzard version of Super Smash Bros.?

That sound pretty awesome actually

CAPTCHA: Sudo make sandwich (Captcha is learning how to make references!)

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Quazimofo said:
I like what I see so far. Hardly a radical alteration on the formula, but looks fun nonetheless. I like the alternate maps. More maps are always welcome (especially if you can only change the maps without changing the game mode too RIOT. I'd like something besides summoner's rift for 5v5, even just an aesthetic change would go miles to make the game feel less samey).
I think the most radical change is the addition of the objectives. LoL kinda has that with stuff like the Dragon and the worm in that one map, but all those do is give you gold, or some small buff of some sorts.

In this game its kinda a game changer. Doing the objectives causes you to get actual things that influence the flow of the map. One of thems a pirate ship that blows up enemy fortifications like walls and towers and cant die. Another is a grave golem that, again, blows up walls and towers, but it can die, however wherever it dies it respawns when the objective finishes again and it can kill the summoning portal stone thing that ends the game.

Another one of the ones that they talked about sends out some weird super unit that actively goes after enemy heroes, but can be killed.

Its what sets it apart, for me at least, from other MOBAs in that there's more that can be done than simply killin mobs.

Spacefrog

Apr 27, 2011
Aeshi said:
So HoTS is essentially the Blizzard version of Super Smash Bros.?

That sound pretty awesome actually

CAPTCHA: Sudo make sandwich (Captcha is learning how to make references!)
Except they are completely different genres

OT: I am not impressed BI
Still looks like the same clunky, mouse-destroying bore as DOTA and LOL
Could be wrong and Blizzards actually had the guts to change the formula, but I highly doubt it.

Also they could at least have given some of the larger models bigger mounts, the current model looks ridiculous (And not in the good way)