Sons of StarCraft Documentary Arrives November 14

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Sons of StarCraft Documentary Arrives November 14

Professional gaming site onGamers will release the long-awaited documentary about professional StarCraft commentators Nicolas "Tasteless" Plott and Daniel "Artosis" Stemkoski in four parts.

How exactly does one end up in South Korea providing commentary on a real-time strategy game? The ambitious and sometimes controversial project Sons of StarCraft from director Jeffrey Alejos promises to answer that question. The documentary aims to uncover the story behind the professional gaming careers of Nicolas "Tasteless" Plott and Daniel "Artosis" Stemkoski, a pair of eSports commentators who moved to South Korea to provide English commentary on professional games of StarCraft: Brood War. The duo, known collectively as "Tastosis", have contributed significantly to the growth of professional StarCraft play worldwide. The documentary aims to tell the story of the risks and sacrifices these two men made to become the renowned StarCraft personalities they are today. The documentary will be released in four episodes, beginning on November 14. The episodes will be hosted by onGamers, formerly known as GameSpot eSports. The latest trailer for the documentary is aavailable now at onGamers [http://www.ongamers.com/videos/sons-of-starcraft-teaser-trailer/2300-84/].

Alejos ran a Kickstarter campaign in 2011 to raise funding for the documenary. The campaign goal of $18,400 USD was exceeded by 229 percent, raising $42,155 from 881 backers. The original release date of October 1, 2012 soon slipped. The extra funds expanded the scope of the documentary, allowing Alejos to spend three months in Seoul, South Korea instead of the originally planned one month. Alejos was also able to cover additional events, travelling to four different countries along with Plott and Stemkoski. A full list of the events covered and StarCraft professionals interviewed was cryptic update [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1751892223/the-sons-of-starcraft/posts/160567] on the film's Tumblr on September 4 hinted that the film was near completion.

Kim Rom, editor-in-chief of onGamers, announced November 8 that the first part of Sons of StarCraft would premiere November 14. After meeting Alejos last year, Rom says that "it became apparent that progress on the movie was slow, the scope of the movie had increased dramatically and expenses had piled up. ... A while back we decided to help out with funding so Jeff could staff up and get back to full time production." According to Rom, the documentary will be available as a feature length movie next year for Kickstarter backers, and on Netflix. In the words of Stemkoski and Plott, I've got nerd chills.

Source: onGamers [http://www.ongamers.com/articles/sons-of-starcraft-premieres-next-week/1100-63/]

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
MarlaDesat said:
In the words of Stemkoski and Plott, I've got nerd chills.
SICK nerd chills! I've been waiting for this ever since the Kickstarter, especially since Nick and Dan have been teasing it in every other cast they do. They are genuinely very interesting guys, even if you have no interest in Starcraft, as a gamer you should want to see this documentary. It's a story of what happens when you really devote your life to your passion.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Really dont give a shit about Starcaft but I am kind of curious to see what these guys did and how they did it to contribute to the growth of the professional side of games.

Its amazing how some things can change so much with the right people behind it.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
The way Sean tells the story of how his brother became a commentator was great, so to hear it more from the man himself is going to be interesting.

I don't know what personality these guys have, as I'm not that into star craft but I'd like to watch it, as most star craft players seem like nice guys.... With obvious exceptions, not to mention any names, Idra.... And I respect the sport.

Yeah, I said sport!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Just a fun little feather in my cap that I never get tired of sharing:

I actually went to high school with Nick and Sean Plott! (Rockhurst High School in Kansas City, MO) :D

Nick was in my class and a good friend of mine. I went to his house all the time just to watch him play StarCraft because watching him play was simply amazing. That dude was a frickin' god at the game, doing literally 10 things at once while I'd still be trying to get my fifth Zealot out of the gate.

My proudest moment was beating the both of them in a Free For All on the Three Kingdoms map. Considering the fact that they both took each other to be the primary threat (and justifiably so seeing as how the game would literally be over in 10 minutes if I played either of them one on one) and thus wanted to eliminate each other first, I was able to build up a massive swarm of Mutas and Guardians and rolled over both of'em while they were busy fighting each other. :3

Edit: Another fun bit of history is the fact that I got Nick hooked on Marvel vs Capcom 2. Had it on the Dreamcast and he came over to my house one day. We played it a bit and he got really into it, though that very first day was the only day I could claim to have beaten him at it because he was a completely raw new player to the game.

The next time I played him, as to be expected because he is an obscenely in-depth gamer (gets to know every aspect about games that he likes), he wiped the floor with me. He knew every move for every character, what characters made badass teams, what characters were good for defense...everything there was to know about the game. Next thing I know he's winning tournaments at the local mall's arcade.