Xbox One Ships Early, Microsoft Bans It

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Xbox One Ships Early, Microsoft Bans It

Microsoft says a customer who received his Xbox One console early and was subsequently banned from Xbox Live for TOS violations will not face permanent exile.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Moonlightswami/status/398973353765007360]​
In some ways, the Twitter user Moonlightswami is a very lucky fellow. Thanks to a screwup somewhere along the line at Target, he received his Xbox One console yesterday, a full two weeks before it's supposed to be released. He posted pictures of the console, the controller, the power brick and the packaging with his receipt attached to prove the veracity of his claim, as well as details about the size of the initial update, install sizes of various games and such little tidbits as Call of Duty: Ghosts coming with only one disc and no separate installation disc.

What happened next will likely come as no great surprise: Microsoft banned the console. Fortunately for Moonlightswami, his account wasn't banned, as he was still able to access it on his Xbox 360, but his Xbox One was left unable to go online. He seemed to take it well, urging his followers not to "cost yourselves a great experience" out of anger with Microsoft's reaction to his early access, but he also made it clear that he wasn't going to just roll over and accept punishment for something that clearly wasn't his fault.

But now it appears that a happy, or at least relatively conflict-free, ending is in the offing. Microsoft's Larry Hryb, aka Major Nelson, took to Twitter [https://twitter.com/majornelson/statuses/399199703192973313] to state that the ban will not be permanent, and then expanded on that statement slightly on NeoGAF. "I reached out to him and I'll get this sorted out," the Major wrote. "His console will not be permabanned that is for sure."

But a banned console isn't the only headache that @Moonlightswami has to deal with because of this. An unboxing copyright strike [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpGVjtimaOM&feature=youtu.be&a]" against his account. Three copyright strikes results in account suspension and removal of all posted videos, but even just one can lead to a loss of access to various YouTube features. Microsoft hasn't said yet whether it will retract the claim or not.

Sources: GameInformer [https://twitter.com/Moonlightswami]

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
rhizhim said:
you just have a 500$ console that can magically be turned into a brick at any time for stupid reasons.
To clarify, he was console banned. This means that the console can not access xBox Live , but it can still play purchased single-player games.

Also, to borrow a point that a lot of people brought up in the NeoGAF thread, it's funny Microsoft banned him because he pretty much brought positive PR to Microsoft by disproving a lot of the pre-release rumours that were going around.

I guess this comes back to the point in the latest Jimquisition that if people were less pretentiously vague about everything they would have much less shit to deal with.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I would say they should just ban it till release date, not his fault that Target derped. Glad Microsoft aren't being overly dickish about this, maybe they've learned from previous mistakes.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
So, wait, he got an Xbone 2 weeks early and decided it'd be a good idea to hook it up to the internet and let Microsoft see what he's doing with it?

.........is there some new breed of special I haven't been informed of?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Banned = bricked console?
What in the unholy name of fuck...

Phrozenflame500 said:
To clarify, he was console banned. This means that the console can not access xBox Live , but it can still play purchased single-player games.
The article says it turned into a "very expensive doorstop".
Doorstops -no matter how expensive- don't play singleplayer games.

Mike000

Nov 22, 2007
Vaccine said:
So, wait, he got an Xbone 2 weeks early and decided it'd be a good idea to hook it up to the internet and let Microsoft see what he's doing with it?

.........is there some new breed of special I haven't been informed of?
You have to connect it to patch out all the "features" that they announced back at E3.

Costia

Jul 3, 2011
I don't get it.
What part of an unboxing video is copyrighted material that belongs to microsoft?

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Xan Krieger said:
I would say they should just ban it till release date, not his fault that Target derped. Glad Microsoft aren't being overly dickish about this, maybe they've learned from previous mistakes.
I'll wait until we see whether they undo the ban and the copyright claim at actual release. Leaving either in place counts as pretty damn "overly dickish" to my eyes.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I can see Microsoft banning the console as soon as the thing connected to the net. I'm sure Microsoft will unblock the guy once the release date has come and gone so if anything he's been essentially grounded by Microsoft. I don't know if his youtube account will be salvageable though...he may have to start a new one or go elsewhere.

Either way, he was an idiot for posting pictures and videos but he was screwed the moment he put that thing online for the update.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
rhizhim said:
i was considering that you have to sign onto their servers once a day or so and this might affect you more than you can imagine with such a ban,

plus didnt the xbox need a day one patch?
Microsoft pulled a xBox 180 (hehehehe) on the mandatory sign ins a while ago, now it's fully possible to keep the console offline indefinitely.

And while it's true the xBone needs a 500mb day-one patch, the patch is already live for some reason.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Costia said:
I don't get it.
What part of an unboxing video is copyrighted material that belongs to microsoft?
None, youtube just has an automated multi-purpose "take down" button for large companies.
They can basically do whatever.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
loa said:
The article says it turned into a "very expensive doorstop".
Doorstops -no matter how expensive- don't play singleplayer games.
<a href=https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/errors/error-code-c000-003c>The article is wrong, banned consoles can still play offline games, albeit the disk is required.

The guy posted pictures of Call of Duty: Ghosts on his Twitter, he's obviously playing it.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Kalezian said:
A game that was released for the PS3, 360 and coming to next gen console being played?

SOMEONE CALL THE INQUISITION, WE GOTS SOME HERESY OVER HERE!
<a href=http://gyazo.com/d6922812773bf778d7bd9c1a307969d9.png>Screenshot with X1 interface in view.

There are some more comparisons w/screenshots <a href=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711880>here.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Phrozenflame500 said:
rhizhim said:
you just have a 500$ console that can magically be turned into a brick at any time for stupid reasons.
Actually if you can't download the Day one patch, you can't play your purchased single-player games. Messed up MS.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Phrozenflame500 said:
rhizhim said:

Also, to borrow a point that a lot of people brought up in the NeoGAF thread, it's funny Microsoft banned him because he pretty much brought positive PR to Microsoft by disproving a lot of the pre-release rumours that were going around.

I guess this comes back to the point in the latest Jimquisition that if people were less pretentiously vague about everything they would have much less shit to deal with.
You know it makes me kinda curious about what sort of power microsoft has over Let's plays and stuff made via the Xbox One and it's twitch streaming/youtube posting capabilities.

Since you make your let plays, via the xbone now, can microsoft take one down by claiming ownership if it is being critical of a game they want to succeed?