Just Cause Dev Doesn't See a Future For Call of Duty

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Just Cause Dev Doesn't See a Future For Call of Duty

The Avalanche studios boss says that Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 are "the end of an era".

Christofer Sundberg, Avalanche studios (Just Cause, Mad Max) founder, has taken to Twitter to express his thoughts on the latest modern military shooter efforts from Infinity Ward and DICE. Specifically, he says that Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 have ushered in "the end of an era." He doesn't see a future for Call of Duty at all, and believes that Battlefield can only live on as a multiplayer-only, possibly free-to-play title.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/CHSundberg/status/397666839271968768]

When asked by Eurogamer if the Call of Duty franchise could continue if singleplayer and multiplayer were offered in two distinct packages, Sundberg said "I don't think there is room for both unless they are DRASTICALLY different and publishers find new ways to monetize the players."

Sundberg believes that the titles can live on as free-to-play games, so long as they don't have "free-to-play" in the title, and build a new platform from the ground up. "If they don't call it F2P I think that can be successful. Build it as a platform, make players invest and get them hooked," he said.

Avalanche studios, which brought us Just Cause and Just Cause 2, is currently hard at work on Mad Max, an open-world game based on the Australian movie of the same name.

Source: Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/avalanche-boss-predicts-end-of-an-era-with-cod-ghosts-and-battlefield-4/1100-6415968/]

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I hope he's right.

Brown, Grey, and Gunmetal is NOT the best usage of HD graphics.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
I don't think Call of Duty will die. While people do end up getting sick of it, younger kiddies will get the game. As time moves on, so will they (most of them atleast), and another wave of kids will move in to nag their mums for CoD.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I don't know. By all rights Madden and FIFA should be Free to Play with updates every so often for new players, and stadiums, but enough people buy the full boxed release that there's no reason not to make it. If they're doing really well as it is there's not much incentive to completely overhaul the franchise.

Though I think a move to a subscription or F2P model will be the death knell as they couldn't do graphical and gameplay updated every year like they have with the box releases.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
It will live as long as people continue to buy them. looking at recent release - they will. games dont "die". they stop maknig them when they think it will be a loss and thats that.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Why make them free to play at all to earn more profits? The guys that buy one after the other over and over again are already buying every single overpriced map pack that Activision puts out AND you have that paid something-something system they came up with during Modern... Black o... The Elite thing.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
He probably can't see CoD's future because it's buried under all the money it's making.

If he thinks something as successful as CoD and its ilk will just vanish, he's deluded.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
So CoD doesn't meet it's high, but pretty realistic goal of $1 billion dollars on it's first day and this is calls to label the franchise doomed?

Come on. I'm getting real tired of developers acting like they are market analysis gurus.

I don't like CoD either, but that game has some good years ahead of it. Despite the ire it garners from the gaming community.

Plunkies

Oct 31, 2007
This is a mistake born of optimism and intelligence. You see a dumb product, you have hope in humanity, and you assume the product will fail as a result, if not now then at some point in the future. But the truth is there will always be profit in selling stupid products to stupid people. COD will always make money, same with EA sports franchises, same as transformers movies, and apple products, and awful pop music, and chain restaurants, and reality TV. Smart people are too discerning, so even quality products are difficult to sell to them. Why bother when there are more dumb people, they're easier to fool and their money spends just as well?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't understand why anyone on the PC would even want to play CoD when there are some very good F2P alternatives that do a better job. I had more fun with Blacklight: Retribution than I ever did with CoD and it didn't cost me a single dollar. And now the game is coming out on the PS4.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Is this the same guy who said next generation consoles would outpower gaming PCs for years to come? Cause it seems as ridiculous as that statement to be honest.

Love or hate Call of Duty (I'm utterly indifferent towards it) it's still going strong and it will still be kicking for years to come.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be honest I think first and third person shooters will remain as long as games do. Perhaps if we ever see something akin to VR (which I doubt, for reasons I won't get into again, as much as I'd like to see it) that will change, but even so it will just mean people will start VR projecting as soldiers in battlefield situations. That said, I imagine the popularity and settings will fluctuate back and forth over time. Something like "Call Of Duty" is a generic enough title where I imagine it will continue to be used for shooter-type war games in a variety of settings even if the "Modern Warfare" title dies out.

Right now the big threat to these games seems to largely be profit mongering. These kinds of games set preposterously high sales expectations to the point where simply selling well seems like a failure. Not to mention an increasingly greedy industry that is out to monetize just about everything, simply making a good game, and then selling it for a profit isn't enough now, they want a game that they can sell for a profit, and which will then continue to make them money perpetually until they release a new one. Micro transactions in multiplayer games that are allegedly about skill is a touchy subject, and as we've seen with Dead Space 3, people are hardly happy about being nickel and dimed within a single player experience to the extent one of these companies would want to do. It seems like there is a tendency to want to move into game formats which can be easily monetized in a way people will pay, sandbox games have been doing this pretty well, with relatively bare bones products with half the content shaved off to be sold piecemeal getting away with it. An example being something like "Saint's Row" where they released tons of cars, costumes, weapons, extra missions, a few at a time. I think those kinds of sales are what the industry is looking at right now, especially in a game where they don't have to worry about the expectation of game balance.

I'll also say that politics have gotten involved in the "Modern Shooter" genere a bit too much, and combined with the lack of guts among the gaming industry it's not surprising we're seeing some devs fleeing them like rats from a sinking ship. By being set in the "real world" they by definition wind up making the kinds of value judgements that huge amounts of the population are not comfortable with. Also, without any kind of open war between the major powers who could potentially field serious military forces and hardware against each other, and indeed a lot of trade, you wind up with issues when say China doesn't want to let you sell a game in their country where they are the bad guys. They can't stop people from going off about their human rights record and militance in a general sense, but they can stop you from selling a product in their country, and in general if something is going to get a person there in trouble for saying it, they sure as heck aren't going to let a foreign game take such criticisms to the next level. When it comes to other enemies like say Muslims, we live in a divided nation on the subject as we try and reconcile ideals with reality, you have roughly half the position wanting hardcore crackdowns, and the other side trying to be more tolerant and diplomatic. We have Muslims attack embassies over comedy movie trailers on the internet and murder people, while at the same time we have Marvel comics trying to relaunch iconic character Ms. Marvel as a Muslim to form bridges. Needless to say this causes games where the subject is conflict with Muslims in any context is a focus. Then of course there was that whole fiasco with the "ARMA" team where they got arrested checking out an island they wanted to set their game on, the people there objecting to their island being used as the subject for a war game.

I actually find it kind of amusing when years ago we got complaints about the over saturation of "World War II" shooters and how simplistically black and white they were, with American troops perhaps backed by the Brits and French Resistance fight armies of cartoonishly evil Nazis, where despite the historical setting there is apparently a doom fortress full of chest high walls set in every hillside. The cries "gee, wouldn't it be nice if we had something more modern and perhaps a little more morally grey and ambigious like real life". We see the modern setting shooters arrive, they do well for a while, but then people start QQing about them... after all when the violence is closer to home it now bothers people more, and while grey and ambigious sounded good, listen to the people cry when the black ops guys decide to torture some dude to foil a terrorist plot.... one of those situations where we're pretty much seeing everything people wanted, and after a few years of utter glut, people don't want it anymore, in part because I think they decided they didn't much care for "real life" and "moral grey areas" since in practice it hits too close to home.

Personally I kind of hope the new fad turns out to be FPS games set in pre-revolutionary America where the French and Brits fight it out with muzzle loading firearms governed by realistic black powder physics. Instead of running around knifing each other with customized skills, quick scoping, and setting up ambushes and such while screaming about who is and isn't feeding the other team, multiplayer will consist of players getting together in orderly lines on opposite sides of the field and loading and firing in ranks at each other, breaking rhythm or doing things wrong resulting in an instant kill from a friendly NPC commissar who will shoot you in the back of the head. :)

The environments can include wonderful scenarios like "Fort Necessity" where under the command of a pre-revolutionary George Washington... gifted with his command because he read three books on the subject... you get to slog through the woods being picked off randomly before building a makeshift fort which he will not clear the woods surrounding the walls from causing ambushers to pick you off again and again without a clear line of fire back at them. After which you can be one of his handful of surviving dudes that will get to sing his praises.... :)

On the French side you will have to master the art of walking without getting your white uniform pants dirty due to your commander being a stickler for such things.

Combined with guns that take like a minute of real time to load between each shot and have bullets that wind up in generally the right place one out of every four times under ideal conditions (and it's never ideal) I'm sure this will all be a new and exciting war experience every CoD player will be scrambling for....

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
He's making the mistake of thinking most consumers aren't idiot sheep. But they are, and so the era will live for some time yet.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Yopaz said:
Is this the same guy who said next generation consoles would outpower gaming PCs for years to come? Cause it seems as ridiculous as that statement to be honest.

Love or hate Call of Duty (I'm utterly indifferent towards it) it's still going strong and it will still be kicking for years to come.
I agree, I do believe that it will die off a bit and loose the top spot (with the next gen if you dont make the game look next gen I believe that you will loose a lot of the casual audience as they will be more impressed visually by all the rest) but it will still be like Halo, in fact, exactly like Halo where at once it was at the top but something new and shinier eventually toped it while keeping itself still VERY profitable and still kicking.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
We can but dream. If it does possibly die down (as opposed to die out) it'll be because devs are working on the Next Big Thing to pimp out, rather than waning public interest. That's a big 'if' though.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I wish they would drop the 'single-player' campaigns they do, because they are turning themselves into a joke. A 4 hour single-player campaign time isn't a game, it's just a long tutorial. And with Ghosts throwing a dartboard at a globe to pick the 'bad guy' is getting old fast.

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
VoidWanderer said:
And with Ghosts throwing a dartboard at a globe to pick the 'bad guy' is getting old fast.
When will they pick Antarctica? Those Commie Penguins need a stern talkin' to!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I think he is half right. Battlefield will probably split into a single-player/multi-player cycle, which will become multi only when no-one buys the single player. They need to slow the dev cycle on BF though, mix it up with a return to WW2, Vietnam, or hopefully a return to the frozen future. BF4 is improved enough to be an improvement over BF3 but it isn't different enough to leave room for a fifth game any time soon. If BF5 is a similar improvement over BF4 it will bomb horribly. Luckily DICE have something up their sleeve called Battlefront and consoles that can actually run big beautiful games.

I don't care what happens to Call of Duty, but critically at least it has been losing steam for the last few installments.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Having seen the preorder numbers for both titles on the PS4 and Xbox One, I laugh at this statement. Both games are high up on the Top 10 of each consoles Preorder numbers. The most preordered exclusive is Killzone Shadow Fall, I might add.

No, you can cry and complain about CoD all day. It's not going anywhere. This is like predicting WoW's demise. I'm sure it will happen, but it's not happening today. There's still enough life in it to keep it going. I expect CoD and Battlefield 4 will have good sales before the year's end. Don't forget the holidays are close, so some may not be buying things because of that.