DayZ Standalone Still Delayed Due to Bugs and Optimization

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
DayZ Standalone Still Delayed Due to Bugs and Optimization

The standalone version of DayZ keeps being delayed for more bugfixing to the game.

Project lead for DayZ standalone version, Dan Hall answered questions about the project, which was initially supposed to launch last year, on Reddit. The standalone version of the open-world zombie videogame does not have a firm release date, but developer Bohemia Interactive is working on fixing remaining bugs and optimization issues.

In subsection "Optimizing/Bugfixing Dedicated server, Hall wrote, "This is why we are not out. We need performance." Bohemia Interactive wants DayZ standalone to be a minimum of 15 frames per second with 50 players, 2,000 zombies, and 25,000 loot items. Hall said the code needs to be tidied up and the team is optimizing a variable synchronization system. Right now the synchronized variables are checked for each player, which is inefficient. This issue is the biggest obstacle to the alpha version of the game.

"We also have a bug where sounds (which are temporary vehicles) are being queued up and sent to all JIP players," Hall said. "This causes us a steady loss of performance on the server."

Bohemia Interactive is reluctant to give a release date for the game. "If I start saying, 'Oh, it won't be out then,' people start asking me about the day after, and the day after," Hall said. "So it just encourages people to keep asking me when it is, and the 'announced date' would be when I go, 'Yeah, it could be out then.' "

So far the game provides basic functionality for 10-20 players, Hall wrote in the Reddit post. The new zombies are still a work in progress as they glitch through walls often at low frames per second. A bug in cities also causes lower frame rates, but Hall said the performance is smoother than with the mod. In the meantime, the team will continue optimizing the game. It will release someday.

Source: VG247 [http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1q7bcs/teased_tormented_abusedcome_on_rocket_and_co_give/cd9ycl1]

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
For those confused about the temporary vehicles comment, in the VR engine, vehicle is the term for any physical object (literally anything in the cfgvehicles class). So, buildings, characters, actual vehicles, props and even trees are all "vehicles". (Queue someone making a comment about wanting to be able to "mount" female characters...)

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
SourMilk said:
Anyway, I consider this a long goodbye for this "minecraft" business model that he's been going on about.
Why do you say that? It's a valid business model and it works as long as consumers are willing to pay into it and understand the return on investment will take time. It's not like the game isn't coming, it's just really behind schedule.

OT: At least they're working on it and trying to make sure it's as bug-free as possible considering its origins as a mod. Good on them and best of luck.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
SourMilk said:
Behind schedule? That's an understatement, the "minecraft" model really depends on the game being in development and at this rate I would call it a scam if they released it under Alpha build. While under Alpha build, one would expect it to be cheaper to a significant degree (circular minecraft) but I suspect they'll provide a minor discount

BI isn't a large development/publisher studio and where they are getting the money to continue theses never ending delays baffles me.
Minecraft is a rather simple game that is easy to mod and change, hence why it is being constantly updated by Mojang and why Modders are constantly making stuff for it.
ARMA on the other hand is a VAST simulation game and they would also have to take into account Thousands of non-static objects like Zombies and Loot.

Sure, it's taking a long time, but you seen the DayZ Mod, right? That is one of the choppiest games I've ever seen so who WOULDN'T want to fix that?