FTL Dev Announces Advanced Edition, iPad Version

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
FTL Dev Announces Advanced Edition, iPad Version

[vimeo=79104930]

Subset Games will be releasing an iPad edition of FTL as well as new Advanced Edition content in early 2014.

FTL: Faster Than Light is arguably one of the most entertaining and clever takes on the rogue-like the game industry has released in some time. A product of the indie studio Subset Games, it put players in the captain's seat of a small ship and sets them on a journey across a hostile galaxy full of danger and dilemma. Since its early days as a <a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light>Kickstarter project it has easily established itself as one of the industry's premier indie properties.

That being the case, Subset Games has revealed that "early 2014" will play host to some new developments sure to excite the game's many enthusiasts. In addition to an iPad version, the developer has revealed that the PC version will receive fresh content in the form of a new Advanced Edition that will include "new weapons, drones, augments, systems, enemies, and more."

More specifically, the additions will include a mind control system that will allow players to "temporarily turn enemies into allies." A hacking mechanic is also being introduced as is a new sector and events written guest-written by Chris Avellone of Planescape: Torment and Project Eternity fame. The Advanced Edition will also include "small features" like the ability to save and quit during battle and more in-game items to purchase in stores. Players who already own FTL will receive the Advanced Edition content as a free expansion.

The iPad version will likewise come packaged with all the new content from the Advanced Edition. Beyond that it has been redesigned "to be optimal for touch devices" and will be compatible iPads 2nd generation or higher as well as iPad minis. iPhones will not be able to play the game. Discussing the possibility of an Android release Subset has indicated that it "[hopes] to get it on all tablet devices" but doesn't "want to make any promises" until it can be sure that it can follow through.

Source: <a href=http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=598>FTL

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
As a person who couldn't get it on the PC. I'm looking forward to iPad version. I think it would translate well on the platform.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Good reason to "dust off" the game again and get playing. Curious about the full list of changes and if they also add some better mod-support.

Story said:
As a person who couldn't get it on the PC. I'm looking forward to iPad version. I think it would translate well on the platform.
Considering that they only two keys you needed were Escape and Space, adding two more buttons on the screen shouldn't be too hard for the iPad version.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
It was looking like they had abandoned the game. It's good to see it will at least see some additions. Which was a shame, the game is unique and deserved more developer attention than it's received.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I hope they give us the opportunity to sell missiles and drones. It is really irritating when you are full to the brim with one, when your ship doesn't even use that kind of weaponry.

I'd also like the Crystal Cruiser to require less complete random luck to get. Sometimes it can be literally impossible due to locations given, but you don't know that until doing 90% of the game.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Oh wow, this is awesome news. FTL has quickly shot up onto my favorites list ever since I bought it on a whim during a Steam sale.

BoogieManFL said:
It was looking like they had abandoned the game. It's good to see it will at least see some additions. Which was a shame, the game is unique and deserved more developer attention than it's received.
Well, there's always the modding community to tide you over. There are all sorts of quality ships, weapons, events, and mods to choose from:

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

Getting them to work is a snap. Just get the Slipstream Mod Manager [http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17102], install the desired mods into the "mods" folder, and select it from the list.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Story said:
What do you mean that you couldn't get it on PC? The minimum requirements are fairly low.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
First the massive Terraria update, now FTL?

This is awesome! I can't wait to try to fiddle around with hacking and emp-drones

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
UNHchabo said:
Story said:
What do you mean that you couldn't get it on PC? The minimum requirements are fairly low.
The only personal computer I have is owned by my school and I'm not allowed to download games.
At least on the iPad, I can have the game to myself.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I wont lie, they had me at "new music" seriously i love this sound track and more of it is just awesome.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
This will certainly get me playing FTL again and when I play FTL I badger people to buy FTL and now I can badger people with iPads to buy it. Well done.

Also...Avellone! Excellent!

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
FTL was one of my absolute favorite games from last year, so I'm super pumped for this.

Always nice to see developers doing this for free, even though I'd probably pay another $5 for it without hesitation. Whatever Subset Games goes on to make next I will probably be lining up to buy it.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
I love FTL, had an absolute blast with it for several weeks, I'll definitely go back to it for new content. I just hope they continue to support the game, it's too good to just have one update, there should be new content being developed until there is no more interest, then they can make a sequel! That's how it works, right?

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Oh dammit, i hate how android always gets the short end of the stick, i've been begging and nagging for and android version ever since i got it on PC, but as always it is apples first.... fucking depressing... oh well i guess i can look for an android version in about two years.... sigh self pity, im gonna need to get an ipad for this somehow, that is how much i love FTL that it surpasses my hatred for apple

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Oh hell YES! They had me at any one of those announced additions. Balls to getting the content for free - I'll find a way to get some monies to Subset.

I also hope it's not too optimistic to hope that they're successful in getting it to Android. I don't even own a tablet but if I ever get one it won't be an iPad and it will have a second copy of FTL if the version's available.

Someone tell me someone new is going to pick this game up and experience the blissful painful joy..

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Please let this update make it easier to get the crystal ship. I have poured over a hundred hours, many with rock ships on a sole mission to find that hidden sector, into this game and I still haven't gotten it. X_X

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Hmm. FTL is rather elegant. I'm not at all convinced that throwing MOAR STUFF into it will necessarily improve the experience.

You can count me as another person who never got the Crystal Cruiser, despite lengthy attempts.

I wonder if they can do anything about the snowball effect? Meaning that doing well or poorly early on makes the game a great deal easier or harder, respectively. It's unfortunate because the game is most fun when you're just scraping by, but when you're just scraping by, you spend all your scrap on repairs and/or ammunition rather than being able to power up, so when the difficulty ramps up, you get destroyed.

Nightvalien

Oct 18, 2010
*HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG*

To not anger the mods with low content. FUCK YEAH more FTL, bring it on.