Ubisoft Says Open World Games Are the Future

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Says Open World Games Are the Future

Ubisoft credits open-world games and digital distribution for first-half sales of nearly $400 million.

Ubisoft reported sales of €293 million ($394 million) for the first half of its 2013-14 fiscal year today, a five percent increase over the €279 million ($375 million) it took in over the same period the previous year. Gross profit was also up, from €193 million ($259 million) to €202 million ($271 million), while the overall non-IFRS operating loss for the half hit €98 million ($132 million), up from €58 million ($78 million) in the first half of 2012-13.

Ubisoft credited the solid showing to "robust back-catalog sales" driven by Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed 3, and a 29 percent increase in digital sales. CEO Yves Guillemot predicted that the coming launches of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will be "a new driving force for the industry," and said that the company intends to take full advantage of the growing popularity of open-world games and digital distribution.

"This deep-seated market trend - which Ubisoft has fully embraced - is going to move up another gear when the next-generation consoles arrive. At the same time, the ongoing growth in our digital business demonstrates the progress we have made in an area which is set to expand even further in the coming years," he said. "Consequently, we are continuing to make strides in the implementation of our strategy, by concentrating our resources on regular releases of our open world franchises, investing in digital expertise and increasing the visibility of our brands, notably through movies and TV series."

Ubisoft said it expects third quarter sales of €500 to €540 million ($672 to $726 million), down 33 to 38 percent compared to the third quarter of 2012-13, which it attributed to last year's release of Far Cry 3. The company is standing by its full-year outlook, which it recently adjusted downward [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128715-Watch-Dogs-Delay-Batters-Ubisoft-Financial-Targets] to between €995 million and €1.045 billion ($1.34 billion and $1.41 billion).

Source: Ubisoft [https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/en-US/press/detail.aspx?cid=tcm:99-119686-16&ctid=tcm:95-27313-32]

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Does that mean it's only Far Cry and Assassin's Creed games that are going to come out of Ubisoft in the future, because that would be a really depressing outlook.

I love open world games and all, but it doesn't have to be the end all of the company. They could use other IPs that are just sitting around that left their fans with annoying cliffhangers...

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
I really don't like when companies say "X is the future!!!!1!1!". They're usually wrong and with that prediction promote stupid policies that aren't intact with the consumers' ideologies. The only future it's possible to predict at the moment is "all digital" and that is at least a decade, maybe 2, off.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Ubisoft, I'm sorry, but you're late to the party. Open World games are the now. Pretty much any game with more than a token Single Player game mode has some sort of open world. What percentage of games need to be open world before you consider it the now?

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Ugh. No. I'm starting to get a little bored of open-worlds and all the busy work.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Open world games are the past, present and future. As is pretty much any game type.

Outright limiting your gaming company to one type is a stupid idea. A good game of any type will sell, games do not just sell because they are open world.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
More likely good games are the future. There is a reason Far Cry 3 sold well, it wasn't because it was open world.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Look, I like open world games, but I don't always want an open world game. Sometimes I honestly just like a good linear game. Sure, add a little bit of exploration, but there are times where I want a well thought out, crafted experience. Leaving me to create my own story isn't always the best option.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Well..maybe your future Ubisoft. I like an open world game but I also happen to like focused linier narrative driven games as well so you go ahead Ubisoft, be the publisher that deals in open world games I am totally fine with that.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So was GTA3 a decade ahead of it's time? Rockstar must be able to predict the future or something.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
My god big publishers are retarded. Games don't have to be open world to be good. Just look at the fuckin' history of video games. They are in for a terrible surprise once gamers get tired of their same old crap. All of their open world games incorporate the same freakin' elements now. Grinding for stuff so you can craft stuff, revealing parts of the map by reaching a high point etc. You can only get away with that formula for a while before it gets boring.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Dear Ubisoft,

Can open world games please be a PART of the future? I'd hate to have to stop playing games because someone decided 'the future' can only be comprised of a game type I can't seem to get into.

Thanks,

-Me

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
No, Ubisoft, one single type of game is not the future. Or at least, it sure as hell shouldn't be. I've loved (and hated) open-world games and the same goes for linear experiences too.

Jangles

Mar 12, 2010
Yeah and they will always be the future and never the present if they keep delaying games like Watchdogs

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
Avoid accepting out-of-context quotes as actual 'reportage'.

Full statement reads...
Yves Guillemot said:
The PS4 and Xbox One will be released in a few days time and will be a new driving force for the industry. We are confident in our capacity to rise to the short-term challenges posed by the transition phase, thanks to the very high quality of our games, which, combined with the upcoming arrival of the next-generation consoles and the traditional ramp-up of sales during the Christmas season will trigger positive momentum towards the end of the year.

Open world games are becoming ever-more popular with gamers. These creations give gamers the freedom of expression and immersive experiences that are now central to their expectations. This deep-seated market trend - which Ubisoft has fully embraced - is going to move up another gear when the next-generation consoles arrive. At the same time, the ongoing growth in our digital business demonstrates the progress we have made in an area which is set to expand even further in the coming years. Consequently, we are continuing to make strides in the implementation of our strategy, by concentrating our resources on regular releases of our open world franchises, investing in digital expertise and increasing the visibility of our brands, notably through movies and TV series.

This year, Ubisoft has constantly stood out for the very high quality of its creations. This will be a determining factor for ensuring our future success and enhancing our financial performance. In 2014-15, we intend to step up the level even further by launching a number of particularly ambitious titles under both new brands and established franchises, starting as of the first quarter of the fiscal year, with the release of Watch Dogs.
Not that I'm a fan of M. Guillemot particularly (and this is, after all, just PR twaddle for stockholders), but don't condemn through hearsay.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Technically, they're the present.

CleverCover said:
Does that mean it's only Far Cry and Assassin's Creed games that are going to come out of Ubisoft in the future, because that would be a really depressing outlook.
I'm hoping the next Rocksmith will be open world, myself.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I really like open world games, but there's no way in hell there won't be a place in the future for linear experiences too.

So once again, ubisoft displays its complete unawareness of the medium they work in.