CD Projekt RED: Game Industry Should Use "Carrot Not the Stick" With Piracy

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
CD Projekt RED: Game Industry Should Use "Carrot Not the Stick" With Piracy

According to Marcin Inwinski, co-founder of CD Projekt RED, game companies "know DRM doesn't work."

CD Projekt RED doesn't believe in DRM and, while this stance is one that the company itself admits to have been a gradual development, it nonetheless often takes center stage whenever the Polish game developer is discussed. Recently taking the reins in a bit of that conversation, studio co-founder Marcin Iwinski talked about DRM, the company's take on it, and why so many entities in the game industry seem to insist on its continued existence when all signs point to it not working.

"The industry as a whole knows DRM doesn't work, but corporations still use it as a smokescreen," he said. "[They're] effectively covering their asses, pretending to protect their intellectual property in front of bosses, investors, and shareholders." According to Iwinski, he has had "quite a few discussions with high level executives who admit they know DRM doesn't work." That said, these individuals are often under intense pressure from outside forces to keep their property safe and, while DRM may not be effective against software pirates, it apparently works well against stockholders. According to Iwinski, the persistence of this façade is damaging to consumers. "Whenever policy trumps common sense, the best interest of gamers is lost in the process."

According to Iwinski, the best way to combat piracy is to make the legal method of buying games more convenient. "People will continue to choose the easier way as long as obstacles such as time-consuming registration and invasive authentication measures remain in place," he said. Practicing what he preaches, Iwinski affirmed that The Witcher 3, the studio's next entry in its popular RPG series, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129165-Witcher-3-Studio-Promises-Absolutely-No-DRM-At-Launch>will be DRM-free. "While we can't stop piracy, we can work on offering premium deals to those who buy our game and that's what we plan to do with [The Witcher 3]. He then added, "I strongly believe in using the carrot not the stick." CD Projekt RED, in turn, is "working to create some impressive carrots."

Source: GiantBomb

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Go CDPR. But I would like a little further details. I am fully aware that share holders are the ones most pushing for DRM but my question is why. Why do people who are obviously out of touch and have little if any involvement with development of a game having such a huge say in how it's distributed?

endtherapture said:
You will, and so you will for posting 3 times in a row without editing your post.
Interesting image though.
Double damn it, I used to the automatic system of GOG forums, call me lazy but I wish the escapist used it too I'll try and trim down those other posts.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Offering the Carrot doesn't do much good when the other guy can offer as many Carrots as you want for free

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I always knew actual developers never made drm a thing. It's just so incredibly stupid and pointless only idiots with financial investments who stubbornly believe drm works would bother insisting on its continued use.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
wombat_of_war said:
Magmarock said:
Go CDPR. But I would like a little further details. I am fully aware that share holders are the ones most pushing for DRM but my question is why. Why do people who are obviously out of touch and have little if any involvement with development of a game having such a huge say in how it's distributed?
its simple really the people who are investing money in company X expect to have a say in what makes the company profitable and it makes sense to someone unfamiliar with the industry that DRM would protect against individuals stealing the companies product.

as a side note.. wheres my cyberpunk 2077 news ????
But why use DRM if it's so broken, that's what I'd like to know.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
LazyAza said:
I always knew actual developers never made drm a thing. It's just so incredibly stupid and pointless only idiots with financial investments who stubbornly believe drm works would bother insisting on its continued use.
I wish I could say that I agree and while it's true for the most part there are a few that want DRM.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Isn't CDPR the company that tried to sue a couple million people for illegally downloading the Witcher 2?

http://www.complex.com/video-games/2012/01/the-witcher-2-devs-are-no-longer-pursuing-damaging-anti-piracy-lawsuits

Yea. They are. They condemn DRM, but then tried to sue people. Granted that is entirely within their rights, and pirates are doing something illegal, and yes CDPR stopped doing it, but really.I am not going to really listen to CDPR when it comes to how to "entice" people to pay for a game rather than pirate it, especially when their previous method was to ruin someone's life over a 50-60 dollar game.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Cecilo said:
Isn't CDPR the company that tried to sue a couple million people for illegally downloading the Witcher 2?

http://www.complex.com/video-games/2012/01/the-witcher-2-devs-are-no-longer-pursuing-damaging-anti-piracy-lawsuits

Yea. They are. They condemn DRM, but then tried to sue people. Granted that is entirely within their rights, and pirates are doing something illegal, and yes CDPR stopped doing it, but really.I am not going to really listen to CDPR when it comes to how to "entice" people to pay for a game rather than pirate it, especially when their previous method was to ruin someone's life over a 50-60 dollar game.
I'd recommend you forget the past and remember actions speak louder than words.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
endtherapture said:
Cecilo said:

I'd recommend you forget the past and remember actions speak louder than words.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it", it is always important to remember the past, and not to just let the companies forget that they have done things that would harm our trust. Especially with a something rather than a someone.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Cecilo said:

You mean they're trying to punish the people who broke the rules instead of punishing EVERYONE ELSE who didn't break the rules? What madness is this where we punish the guilty and let the innocent get away with it!? Those innocents MIGHT break the rules, that's what DRM is for!

/sarcasm

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Cecilo said:

But... they stopped doing that. What more is there do you want?

I disagree with what they did, wholeheartedly, and found it reprehensible, but they listened to customer feedback and don't do it anymore. Their behaviour since then has been pretty exemplary and I think that's worth of applauding. We should celebrate companies that actually abandon their bad business practices. The most you usually get from them is a false promise for some PR damage-control.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Aeshi said:
Offering the Carrot doesn't do much good when the other guy can offer as many Carrots as you want for free
offering a stick wont do no better in this situation.

Magmarock said:
But why use DRM if it's so broken, that's what I'd like to know.
Because the shareholders are not smart enough to know its broken. they think they have a right to monopolistic right management and everyone is going to choke it in. they are out of touch with reality, used to the fact that everything goes their way as long as they drop money this way.

Magmarock said:
I hope I don't get in trouble for admitting that I torrent games.
You will, and so you will for posting 3 times in a row without editing your post.
Interesting image though.

Cecilo said:
Yes, and they have openly admitted they were wrong and that they learnt their lesson.

BigTuk said:
Actually, devs have been behin DRM as well. For good reason, you make something you kinda don't want people stealing it. Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free? So you can add stakeholders into that mix along with shareholders. Heck devs have made a point of finding ways to screw over pirates for a while, I recall the first Arkham game pirating netted you a broken grappling hook which pretty much broke the game. So lets stop think DRM is the bane of the industry, it's a requirement, just like passwords on your email account, locks on your door and GPS tracking on your car.
There is no good reason for DRM. Pirates have always cracked DRM. there isnt a single game where DRM was not cracked. In fact, multiple cases shown that pirates were playing the game fine while legal costumers were dealing with DRM issues.
ALso the system that allows monopolistic rights of hoarding is a problem with the legal system to begin with. the way copyright works now is broken, so the whole milk example is wrong to begin with.
The messing up with pirates thing is old. very old. its been around in 90s too. but it usually got around to being more funny than broken. pirates fix that fast. as in, matter of hours.
No, DRM is not a requirement nor necessity, it is a burden on legal consumers.

BigTuk said:
(Yup we've all had our finances torpedoe'd by steam sales)

You know, there are people who dont buy stuff they dont need, sale or no sale.

BigTuk said:
The reason both work is because the ease of getting the game and the price mesh quite well. Sure they could hunt and find a good non trojan pirate version... but the time it would take and the hassle of going through convoluted install, well lets put it this way...it's not worth saving a $10 for some , let alone $5.
Not advocating piracy or anything but lets just not flat out lie.
Trojan versions of pirate game hasnt been around for ages, unless you suck at basic common sense and downlaod a 1 mb sized "COD.exe". besides, there are ton of sites where you have more guarantee of it being not infected than from original developer (beucase its not liek that never happened).
the instalation proceiss is simple: donwload. install. continue pressing next, it even types in CD-key for you. Copy exe file from downlaoded files to installation location. launch said file - congratulations, you are playing pirated game. im sure if 8 year olds figure it out you can, if not, there is always instructions attached.
People never bought games because its a hassle to pirate, it isnt. they bought it because they dont wnat to do soemthing illegal, they dont think its morally right to pirate or want to support developers/publishers.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Cecilo said:
I am not going to really listen to CDPR when it comes to how to "entice" people to pay for a game rather than pirate it, especially when their previous method was to ruin someone's life over a 50-60 dollar game.
Umm... you're wrong. The person who pirated the game ruined their own life over a 60 dollar game.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Aeshi said:
It does when there's less work in getting to it. Which is pretty much their point.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Aeshi said:
In theory, that makes the most sense.
In practice, it means that CD Projekt should have went bankrupt after their first game, which obviously didn't happen.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Well at least one person in the gaming industry actually has some level of understanding. Now if only there were some way to make common sense contagious, maybe we could trick other big names into using logic rather than greed to make important decisions on their game policies.