Sony's Confident It Will Sell 3 Mill PS4s By Year's End

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Sony's Confident It Will Sell 3 Mill PS4s By Year's End

"I'm excited about next week to be able to talk about what was sold as opposed to what we may sell," says Sony's Jack Tretton.

"We're very comfortable with it," says Sony US Entertainment Division CEO Jack Tretton. The PS4 will finally see the light of day this week, and Sony's confident in its prediction, that its next generation console will sell 3 million units by year's end. "I'm excited about next week to be able to talk about what was sold as opposed to what we may sell," Tretton says.

Supplies are not a problem. Tretton promises a smooth rollout, with plenty of stock leading up to the Christmas season. Not only does Sony expect to sell 3 million by New Year's, it also predicts 5 million total sales by the end of the financial year in March 2014. But then, it's covering a lot of bases compared to its closest rival, Microsoft's Xbox One. Microsoft's console, due out later this month, will be sold in only 13 countries, while the PS4 will have reached 32 countries by the time Christmas rolls round. The Xbox One will also retail for $100 more than Sony's console, which may hurt it in the markets where the two are in direct competition.

Sony's banking on good Games Division numbers, as its other business segments, most notably its Film division, have been underperforming [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129193-Sony-Financials-Operating-Income-Sinks-By-51]. Which is a polite way of saying its recent films stank up the box office and few want to buy its televisions and cameras. If anyone needs a visit from the Profits Santa this year, it's Kazuo Hirai; here's hoping Santa delivers the 3 million in sales Hirai asks for.

Source: Bloomberg [http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-11/sony-sees-sales-of-3-million-playstation-4-consoles-by-year-end.html]

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Well I can guarantee they will get at least one sale from me. I picked up Battlefield 4 yesterday, and it's just staring at me, waiting to be played...

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Well there is no sale from me, because.....lol.....PC.....better than both consoles together.....

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
No sale.

This generation came way too fucking early. Stop it with this saturation mentality.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Cid SilverWing said:
No sale.

This generation came way too fucking early. Stop it with this saturation mentality.
Too early? I've never heard that one before. Why'd you say that?

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
nodlimax said:
Well there is no sale from me, because.....lol.....PC.....better than both consoles together.....
why can't you just buy a console for the great exclusives? i understand that PC is king but your mentality makes you should like an elitist ass hole.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Alcom1 said:
Cid SilverWing said:
No sale.

Too early? I've never heard that one before. Why'd you say that?
I may be wrong but I would imagine it's for the same reasons I consider this new gen to be 'early' and unneccesary - because it won't make games any better. The main benefit that this next gen's going to have is better graphics and as far as I'm concerned that's only going to hurt gameplay (not to mention that current gen consoles are clearly capable of brilliant visuals - just look at TLoU). I know there are other things it will _allow_ devs to do, for exampe more enemies at any one time, but in my opinion all that's going to happen is that they will focus on all the exciting new polygons they can use and video game stagnation on consoles will get worse rather than better. Of course that only applies to AAA gaming, who knows maybe indie devs will make better use of these advances but I don't see much innovation coming from the majority of AAA console devs in this next gen.

Between the above reasons and a ot of issues and lazy shortcuts that are prominent with the PS4 Sony most certainly will not be getting a sale from me, at least not for a good long while.

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
Keiichi Morisato said:
nodlimax said:
why can't you just buy a console for the great exclusives? i understand that PC is king but your mentality makes you should like an elitist ass hole.
Because they're exclusives. Case in point.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I'm actually on board with the people who aren't buying any consoles this winter. The primary problem is that there's nothing really different on the new consoles.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I may not help Sony with their first goal, but by March I will definitely have a PS4 so long as there aren't any horrible flaws that people discover in the next few weeks. I've been yearning to play BF4 in all its glory, and right now the only other game I have any interest in playing is my own, and until I program a story mode or a level editor my game can get pretty boring.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Mromson said:
Keiichi Morisato said:
nodlimax said:
Because they're exclusives. Case in point.
they are exclusives because Sony, Nitendo, and MS purchased those companies to make games only for their platforms. it only make sense.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Cid SilverWing said:
No sale.

too early? more like 4 years too late.

Keiichi Morisato said:
nodlimax said:
sure, if you are going to give me 400 dollars i will.
Beside, great exclusives? what exclusives for PS4 are you talking about thats worth paying 460 dollars for?

Battenberg said:
because it won't make games any better. The main benefit that this next gen's going to have is better graphics and as far as I'm concerned that's only going to hurt gameplay (not to mention that current gen consoles are clearly capable of brilliant visuals - just look at TLoU). I know there are other things it will _allow_ devs to do, for exampe more enemies at any one time, but in my opinion all that's going to happen is that they will focus on all the exciting new polygons they can use and video game stagnation on consoles will get worse rather than better. Of course that only applies to AAA gaming, who knows maybe indie devs will make better use of these advances but I don't see much innovation coming from the majority of AAA console devs in this next gen.
Because finally ahving enough ram for physics, AI and plenty of other things not involving graphics is certainly not going to be used, right?

Colt47 said:
I'm actually on board with the people who aren't buying any consoles this winter. The primary problem is that there's nothing really different on the new consoles.
What do you mean nothing really different? isnt completel forgoing of consumer rights different enough?

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Strazdas said:
Cid SilverWing said:
No sale.

too early? more like 4 years too late.

Keiichi Morisato said:
nodlimax said:
sure, if you are going to give me 400 dollars i will.
Beside, great exclusives? what exclusives for PS4 are you talking about thats worth paying 460 dollars for?

Battenberg said:
because it won't make games any better. The main benefit that this next gen's going to have is better graphics and as far as I'm concerned that's only going to hurt gameplay (not to mention that current gen consoles are clearly capable of brilliant visuals - just look at TLoU). I know there are other things it will _allow_ devs to do, for exampe more enemies at any one time, but in my opinion all that's going to happen is that they will focus on all the exciting new polygons they can use and video game stagnation on consoles will get worse rather than better. Of course that only applies to AAA gaming, who knows maybe indie devs will make better use of these advances but I don't see much innovation coming from the majority of AAA console devs in this next gen.
Because finally ahving enough ram for physics, AI and plenty of other things not involving graphics is certainly not going to be used, right?

Colt47 said:
What do you mean nothing really different? isnt completel forgoing of consumer rights different enough?
none at all right now, though inFAMOUS: Second Son is mighty tempting. also why would one buy a console to play multi platform games? PC is where it is at. i own every console accept the new ones, and all i own are console exclusives, and multi platform game that is on PC i have on PC.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Keiichi Morisato said:
none at all right now, though inFAMOUS: Second Son is mighty tempting. also why would one buy a console to play multi platform games? PC is where it is at. i own every console accept the new ones, and all i own are console exclusives, and multi platform game that is on PC i have on PC.
So.... your telling him to buy a console for exclusives, that you yourself admit arent worth buying a console for yet.
Yeah, that wont work.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Strazdas said:
Keiichi Morisato said:
So.... your telling him to buy a console for exclusives, that you yourself admit arent worth buying a console for yet.
Yeah, that wont work.
i didn't mean right now -_-? you want to wait go ahead, i waited years before i got a PS3, and i am glad i waited on the 360 so i wouldn't have to buy an CoD/Halo machine. i just don't like it when people dismiss console offhandedly, because there are a lot of great games to play on every platform (excluding the 360 for the past 4-5 years)

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Strazdas said:
Cid SilverWing said:
Colt47 said:
Well, outside of maybe Knack trying to bring back the joyous days of Crash during a slow night after school, not a whole lot going on with it. I'm waiting on Destiny to make it's debut and to see what else Sony has coming up.