Calvin and Hobbes Now Available as Ebooks

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Calvin and Hobbes Now Available as Ebooks

The fan-favorite comic Calvin and Hobbes is available in ebook form as three books.

Bill Watterson's comic strips of a young, imaginative boy named Calvin and his stuffed tiger friend Hobbes are available as ebooks for the first time. Before now, Calvin and Hobbes were available on mobile devices through comic apps, and now you can download the comic through Amazon's Kindle store, Apple's iBooks store, and Barnes and Noble's Nook store.

The full series is not available in this format, but a large portion of the comic strips are in the three volumes: The Essential Calvin and Hobbes, The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes, and The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes. The publisher, Andrews McMeel, prices each ebook at $12.99, and paperback versions are $18.99. However, prices vary by ebookstore.

Watterson's first Calvin and Hobbes strip came out almost 30 years ago. Running for 10 years, the daily comic strip followed Calvin's antics from school to home, and Watterson made some hilarious and creative Sunday strips. A huge compendium of the comics in four volumes has not made an ebook debut sadly. By the time Watterson retired in 1996, Calvin and Hobbes had appeared in more than 2,400 newspapers.

"Calvin and Hobbes made a remarkable, enduring impact upon arrival in newspapers and printed books," Andrews McMeel chairman John P. McMeel said in a press release [http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2013/andrews-mcmeel-to-publish-calvin-and-hobbes-ebooks/] announcing the ebook editions last month. "We are thrilled their debut in ebooks will mark the beginning of another magnificent chapter in their adventures for established and new generations of fans to enjoy."

Source: The Verge [http://andrewsmcmeel.com/books/comics-and-humor/calvinandhobbes/e-books]

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
*lifts glass to the next generation*

enjoy. still relevant. the only thing you'll find odd is the girth of the television and the corded phones.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
thiosk said:

enjoy. still relevant. the only thing you'll find odd is the girth of the television and the corded phones.
And record players if you're not a hipster.

Now all I need is a tablet that'll display them well. Wonder how they look on a standard Kindle.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
thiosk said:

It's funny, my nephews (6 and 8) were visiting me and scrounging around in my room and found one of my old Calvin and Hobbes books. I was surprised to learn they actually read and love the comics.

Couldn't help but smile. :)

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
My mother actually went to high school with Bill Waterson. They weren't exactly friends, but he did sign her year book and draw a little picture in it.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
roseofbattle said:
Running for 10 years, the daily comic strip followed Calvin's antics from school to home, and Watterson made some hilarious and creative Sunday strips.
Small correction: it was a daily strip; the color strips were published Sundays.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Storm Dragon said:
My mother actually went to high school with Bill Watterson. They weren't exactly friends, but he did sign her year book and draw a little picture in it.
If that's true, that's absolutely amazing.

Glad to hear that some people still like comic strips. If you'll forgive the shameless self-promotion, I made my own tribute to the boy and tiger earlier this year. Hope you enjoy seeing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlPKB4q11Lo