The Night Of The Doctor Prequel Mini Episode Brings Back A Warrior

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
The Night Of The Doctor Prequel Mini Episode Brings Back A Warrior

Physician, heal thyself.

Hokay, hokay, before we go any further along this happy path, bear in mind: while technically speaking there are no spoilers here, if you were hoping to approach The Day Of The Doctor with a mind as clear of plot elements as a baby's brain, you might not want to watch this one. Well, want, that's a tricky word, isn't it? Very deceitful, is want. I mean, you want to watch it, that goes without saying, but do you dare watch it? That's a different question. Fat or thin, by the way? Angry? Wise?

And welcome back, 1996 television film [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001524/] intended to revitalize the franchise. If it had worked, it would have been an American-produced series, but although the Brits liked it, the pernicious American television audience rejected it. A convoluted plot that tried to shoehorn in a hell of a lot of backstory probably didn't help its chances. But at least now we get a glimpse at what might have been ...

In the meantime, relax, and consider: November 23rd. That's the Day [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128982-Doctor-Who-3D-Screenings-Go-To-Cinemas-Worldwide]. Watch it in a cinema, or in the comfort of your own home, but that's the Day we've all been waiting for.

Source: BBC [http://www.youtube.com/user/BBC?feature=watch]

DocZombie

Jul 28, 2011
Ronack said:
Is it wrong that I squee'd like a little girl when I saw McGann? I am a 25 year old man, btw ... Also, this is absolutely fantastic and an absolute highlight of an otherwise dreadful day.
Not wrong in the slightest - I was almost your age when Paul McGann became The Doctor and I just about squee'd all over my monitor!

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
I'm going to spoiler tag this anyway, even though it's a cryptic comment that'll only mean anything to people that watched it, but...

8 + 1

And I suddenly just realised how close 23-Nov is. That's something to look forward to.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
OK, so I've seen a lot of Doctor Who but that didn't make much sense to me.

So is the War Doctor a special incarnation that occurred between McGann and Eccleston? Or is it a diversion in his life which somehow created a new individual entirely?

I know when the new series started the Time War had happened during the interim and there was quite a gap in the Doctor's history, so maybe this will help explain what happened. I'm just not sure what knowledge I'm supposed to currently have...

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
He did get turned around from "I WILL ABSOLUTELY HAVE NO PART IN THIS DESTRUCTIVE WAR!" to "I MUST BE A WARRIOR!" in about 30 seconds flat. :p

Other than that though, yes please.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Proverbial Jon said:

So is the War Doctor a special incarnation that occurred between McGann and Eccleston? Or is it a diversion in his life which somehow created a new individual entirely?

I know when the new series started the Time War had happened during the interim and there was quite a gap in the Doctor's history, so maybe this will help explain what happened. I'm just not sure what knowledge I'm supposed to currently have...
As far as I know the upcoming special is going to explain just that. But it appears as if War Doctor is indeed a regeneration that comes between 8 and 9, and since he didn't regenerate as he normally does maybe it doesn't count towards his total (if the writers even care about that any more)? It's not too long until all will be revealed!

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
What I liked most (preside the return of Paul (who still played the dr on radio on and off during the early 00's)of course) is that the war doc is a very young john hurt. All makes you wonder how long was he in the time war before putting a cork on it.

LittleWings

May 17, 2010
This also basically Canonised the Big Finish audio dramas. This makes me... well... I mean, wow. Also, he's missing his cravat... That stuck out to me because of a certain comic...

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Mcoffey said:
I think I'll watch the McGann movie tonight. I was going to wait until I had gotten through all the old Who, but since I'm somewhere in the middle of the first season of the First Doctor, that's not going to hsppen any time soon. I dont think there'll be much harm skipping ahead thirty years.
If you're going to skip ahead, make sure you watch any pre-"The End of Time" stuff that was written by Moffat:

The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Silence in the Library, Forest of the Dead.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
CriticalMiss said:
As far as I know the upcoming special is going to explain just that. But it appears as if War Doctor is indeed a regeneration that comes between 8 and 9, and since he didn't regenerate as he normally does maybe it doesn't count towards his total (if the writers even care about that any more)? It's not too long until all will be revealed!
With the Valeyard, they have implied in the past that the limit is more a rule the Time Lords enforce, and can restore or reset as they see fit (or they were all a bunch of lying bastards trying to trick the Valeyard).

It will be interesting to see how/if they address that, or leave it for next season.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
So, anyone else hoping this means the next few seasons of Doctor Who will cover the Time War? I, for one, would love to see more of the "You're a Time Lord, and I know what that means, and I don't like it" instead of the "I don't know you, but you seem odd" that we've been getting with Smith.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
wombat_of_war said:
Ronack said:
Is it wrong that I squee'd like a little girl when I saw McGann? I am a 25 year old man, btw ... Also, this is absolutely fantastic and an absolute highlight of an otherwise dreadful day.
well im 40 and squealed. woke up the entire house at 2 am and i dont care :D
One of the things I was hoping for with the anniversary was that they'd show Mcgann's regeneration into Hurt (the other is Hurt's regeneration into Ecclestone) so I was squeeingand jumping for joy while grinning like an idiot and I'm a 29yr old man.

Proverbial Jon said:

From what we've been shown by far, Hurt is a regeneration between 8 & 9 that The Doctor has essentially dis-owned (as much as you can dis-own part of your history) because that regenerations action's (stopping the Time War) were so against his core belief of helping people. Next Saturday may bring some clarification along with an answer to the whole "How many regenerations" question. My bet is the old limit was set by the Time Lords themselves to stop individuals being around to long rather then a biological/metaphysical rule.

Edit:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
So, anyone else hoping this means the next few seasons of Doctor Who will cover the Time War? I, for one, would love to see more of the "You're a Time Lord, and I know what that means, and I don't like it" instead of the "I don't know you, but you seem odd" that we've been getting with Smith.
I doubt it. The short makes it sound as if the Time War has been going on for a while and the Doc has just stayed out of it as much as possible. My bet is that they use this special to show the end of the Time War and pretty much wrap up and tie a big bow around the whole Series to date so they can start afresh with minimal loose ends with the Christmas Special.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Wow. Sure I'd have loved to see him in the 50th Anniversary episode proper, but this is just amazing!

LittleWings said:
This also basically Canonised the Big Finish audio dramas. This makes me... well... I mean, wow. Also, he's missing his cravat... That stuck out to me because of a certain comic...
I haven't listened to all the 8th Doctor Dramas. Which part does it canonise?

I also was a bit miffed that he wasn't wearing either his TV movie outfit, or the new blue one in the audio dramas (I looked hard at his Sonic to see if it was the wood an crystal one he showed off a couple years back). Though when he regenerated at the end I saw that this was so they can have him wear what John Hurt was wearing (which looked like a cross between 8 and 9 in set photos).

EDIT: I just re-watched it, and saw that he named his companions from the audio dramas (at least there were a couple I recognised since I haven't listened to them all). Unfortunately no mention of Sam, or Izzy so looks like the Comics and novels didn't happen in Canon :(

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
LittleWings said:
So does that make The Light at the End also canon? X3

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Freaking out... freaking out.
I'm FREAKING OUT!
PANIC! OH MY FUCKING GOD! AAAAHHHHH!!!
*Dies of happiness.*