Killzone: Shadow Fall Review

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
I was kinda hoping to get this at some point, but if the story is really that hard to understand for newcomers then sadly I'm gonna have to pass on this one.

Apr 28, 2008
This sounds great, but I don't know... American Helghast? Ugh. That's just... ugh. Not a dealbreaker but... ugh. Was the same with Payday 2. Just makes me sad, is all.

Will still get it when I get a PS4. Really like the Killzone series.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Kill Zone seems to be the only launch title worthy of actual attention, unless I missed something. Sony is starting slow... again -.-

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I was hoping that the switch from 360 to PS4 would give me a chance to get into series like Killzone, but without backwards compatibility I doubt I'll ever be able to play the old games, at least not for a while. Thus, it seems this title has lost me as a potential customer.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
trty00 said:
You had me hooked as soon as you said the Helghast were more sympathetic. It's about time the narrative actually adressed the fact that they really got the short end of the stick. The ISA, especially Rico (FUCK YOU RICO) were a bunch of pricks who should have been tried as war criminals by the end of Killzone 3. I thought it was ridiculous that Narville was seen as 'antagonistic.' It's good to see the tables turned a bit. I'll probably pick this up when I get my PS4.
I agree, the Helghast were completely screwed over, and the ISA act like the attack had no reason other then evil to it. Admittedly I haven't played 3 yet, but it still comes across that way to me.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Irridium said:
This sounds great, but I don't know... American Helghast? Ugh. That's just... ugh. Not a dealbreaker but... ugh. Was the same with Payday 2. Just makes me sad, is all.

Will still get it when I get a PS4. Really like the Killzone series.
Not all of the Helghast are Americanized. I heard a number of angry scottish Higs in the trailers.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
so i will be getting this with my ps3 in late 2015 or something.
personally i am still waiting for the game where you play as a faction of the Helghast that goes "fuck the old tyrannical regime, fuck the USN, we are making our own colony. with blackjack. and hookers"

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
trty00 said:
chozo_hybrid said:
trty00 said:
You had me hooked as soon as you said the Helghast were more sympathetic. It's about time the narrative actually adressed the fact that they really got the short end of the stick. The ISA, especially Rico (FUCK YOU RICO) were a bunch of pricks who should have been tried as war criminals by the end of Killzone 3. I thought it was ridiculous that Narville was seen as 'antagonistic.' It's good to see the tables turned a bit. I'll probably pick this up when I get my PS4.
I agree, the Helghast were completely screwed over, and the ISA act like the attack had no reason other then evil to it. Admittedly I haven't played 3 yet, but it still comes across that way to me.
Well, Rico's not court-martialed even after his tremendously stupid decision to kill Visari at the end of 2, and they also literally glass Helghan with the only response being: 'well... that's shitty I guess.' The only sensible ISA operative in 3 is Captain Narville and he's treated like some kind of stuffy bureaucrat.
That's just... I don't even have words to describe it...

Still, I'm keen to play this one since it seems to be a bit more in depth on this sort of thing perhaps. That and I've always loved the Killzone games.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
james.sponge said:
Kill Zone seems to be the only launch title worthy of actual attention, unless I missed something. Sony is starting slow... again -.-
Resogun is getting high marks across the board. It's a small indie title, but between that and Contrast and given that they're both FREE on PS+, you may not have to buy a physical game at all to start enjoying yourself.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Jimothy Sterling said:
and full of useless spaces that lead to nowhere interesting.
You mean like Goldeneye? I always loved how the levels were designed first before the actual missions were made. It always made the game feel so much more real rather than having every single thing feeling inexplicably important or being claustrophobicly linear.

P.S. The fuck is this shit? Not only did I not copy and paste that but it feels as if someone is putting words in my mouth.

Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10744-Killzone-Shadow-Fall-Review#2sx0p1PTymRalt4R.99

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Jim why would you set the bar this high for reviews. Now I have to turn in good written things to you.

Jerk.

OT: This actually made me interested in giving Killzone a shot. I've never heard an FPS' Multiplayer described as "methodical" before, and I am intrigued.

Delfador

Jun 6, 2012
Lovely review, Jim?you've become a prolific writer. Very excited to play Shadow Fall now.

(Noticed a typo on "productionn," by the way.)

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
This game may be worth getting, well after the console is out for a little longer, a community is established and more games are out.

It is sad that the british actors are gone; seeing Malcolm McDowell doing his usual glorius bastard act with Stahl was a sight to behold and Brian Cox as Vassari was hammy fun. Regardless, the new cold war type setting is interesting, weapon customization looks great and the classes seem to have nice perks

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Hopefully some better games will be out by Christmas. That's when I'm getting the system. I've never been interested in Killzone and the other launch titles just don't seem that great save for Black Flag (I'm not a big fan of Battlefield or CoD).

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
No Rico? Thank goodness. Might pick this up, when I eventually get a PS4. However, I'm not going to get a PS4 just for this game.