PS4 Impressions

Dec 14, 2009
LOLPS4

Love the catch 22 of console launches.

Absolutely fuck all games worth playing, but people have to buy the console for more games to get made.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Very true, for a related example, I'm quite a dedicated Nintendo fan and even I haven't bought a WiiU yet, since I haven't seen any WiiU games advertised that I might actually want.

Also, nice name change Grey, almost missed that.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yep, that sounds about right. One mistake that Sony hasn't fixed when it comes to the Playstation.

That Eeyore

Aug 18, 2009
Metalrocks said:
lol, wanst it the same thing with the ps3 that hardly any games were out for it?
Totally was, was even a meme at one point.

On-topic, I'd think Sony would want to implement some back compatibility to the system, if there isn't a lot worth playing exclusive to the system right now.

If someone is going to pay 400 dollars for a console, they'd like something to do with it right away. Otherwise, it's sorta like games with game of the years editions: Sure, you could just get the base game sooner, but if you wait, you might get a better deal

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah that seems about right. I do remember a time when consoles were released with great launch titles, but those times are long gone.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Hey, she grew her leg back! And lost an arm. Does the lost panel 5 show her slapping the kid round the head?

TechTim said:
Awesome! can't wait for the XBOX 1 impressions
I have a feeling it'll be really un-PC[footnote]As in Politically Correct, but the 'other' PC might work too. D'ohohoh![/footnote].

That Eeyore

Aug 18, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Yeah that seems about right. I do remember a time when consoles were released with great launch titles, but those times are long gone.
I remember those days too. Good days

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
Don't worry guys maybe its a trend. Every console in this new generation starts like an useless plastic brick best generation of all-time!!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
oooooooo The console wars are heating up! Not really, but year. :p

Really is pretty funny how the PS4 was allowed to simply coast on the tsunami of good-will that flooded Sony due to how absolutely atrocious the XBone was when it was first announced. Sony really didn't have to do anything except sit back and bask in the good press of "Hey, we're not Xbox! We're the other guys!" while the internet tore the XBone to shreds over all it's anti-consumer BS. And now it turns out the PS4 wasn't anything to write home about either and is having a slew of various problems and everyone starts remembering why the 360 won the last console war. Now that the XBone has morphed into the Xbox 180, pulling back every feature that it was damned for, the only thing that really makes the PS4 more appealing is that it's $100 less.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Metalrocks said:
lol, wanst it the same thing with the ps3 that hardly any games were out for it?
But at least the PS3 allowed you backwards compatibility on most PS2 games (Soul Calibur 3 not included, which annoyed me and my friends greatly). The PS3 only dropped backwards compatibility when the slim version was released.

That Eeyore

Aug 18, 2009
Gethsemani said:
Metalrocks said:
But at least the PS3 allowed you backwards compatibility on most PS2 games (Soul Calibur 3 not included, which annoyed me and my friends greatly). The PS3 only dropped backwards compatibility when the slim version was released.
Actually, only with certain models. Mine cannot play PS2 games, even with the app downloaded.

Speaking of, does the PS4 have ANY back compatibility, or are you stuck with the PS4 library? Like, I know not with PS3, but with PS1 (which has been on all home console playstations) or PS2.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I was pretty late to this generation (although I guess that is now officially "last generation"), so how bad was it in comparison?

That said, weren't we all aware of what the launch titles were for both new consoles? Why would anybody buy one if they didn't see a handful of games that they were interested in? Or is it just that the ones that seemed interesting turned out to be bad?

I suspect the same reaction will be had for the Xbox One though, I didn't see many decent games for either that were to be released the day they came out.

Giralin

Sep 2, 2010
That Eeyore said:
Gethsemani said:
Metalrocks said:
Actually, only with certain models. Mine cannot play PS2 games, even with the app downloaded.

Speaking of, does the PS4 have ANY back compatibility, or are you stuck with the PS4 library? Like, I know not with PS3, but with PS1 (which has been on all home console playstations) or PS2.
Right now no, but they're going to make it able to run every game in the Playstation Store that PS3 can run, also they will get a game streaming system up for older games

That Eeyore

Aug 18, 2009
Gralin said:
That Eeyore said:
Gethsemani said:
Metalrocks said:

Right now, but they're going to make it able to run every game in the Playstation Store that PS3 can run, also they will get a game streaming system up for older games
Any idea what a "game streaming system" entails? Like, how it works?

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Seeing this, I can't help but think back to Jim Sterling's talk on "launch splooge" http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7630-Launch-Splooge

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
That was great. Dat last panel.

Smart people should only get new consoles 3-4 years after launch. Let the fanboys get suckered into beta testing it for us :p