PlayStation Network Connectivity Issues Following PS4 Launch

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
PlayStation Network Connectivity Issues Following PS4 Launch

Unsurprisingly, many new PS4 owners are having difficulties logging into the PlayStation Network after the console's midnight launch.

The PlayStation 4 launched at midnight today, and with the console's launch comes with problems connecting to the PlayStation Network from the PS4 and downloading the necessary 1.50 update. Sony is aware of the problem and is asking people to be patient in the meantime.

"The PlayStation Network is currently experiencing extremely high volume," an official statement reads on PlayStation Support. "As a result, some gamers may experience some difficulty connecting to the network or downloading content. We are actively working to resolve the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience."

According to a thread in the PlayStation community forum [http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/Managed-Thread-Login-error-message-for-PSN-on-PS4-state/m-p/42120955#U42120955], users are receiving reported error codes "E-80E80034" and "NW-31453-6" when attempting to log in to PSN. Sony said it will post in the thread when it has more news to share, but has not done so yet.

In order to access many of the PS4's launch features, users must download the 1.50 firmware update. This can be downloaded from a computer and transfer it to the PS4 via USB instead of downloading it directly on the console.

Heavy traffic will continue for the rest of the day as more people pick up their PS4s and connect to PSN. Launches rarely go smoothly. As frustrating as lack of PSN connectivity can be, it's not unusual for there to be network issues following a major console's launch.

Source: PlayStation Support [https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2185/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzg0NTA0NDA0L3NpZC9xZjNtdG9GbA%3D%3D]

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
... No s#%t Sherlock. But my queston is, did Sony deliberately set psn to fail on the first day? Gets on the front page of all game news site and basically says "we have so many people buying our new s%#t that's it's broken the internet.". For negative news it's pretty positive.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I've experienced this as well, especially when trying to create a new PSN account. That process wouldn't go through after repeated attempts so I just did it through my PC instead and had no issues at all. The patch downloaded quickly and installed perfectly, so it looks like it's just the PSN account side of things having growing pains.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
users are receiving reported error codes "E-80E80034" and "NW-31453-6"
That kind of looks like coordinates, possibly to hidden treasure. It's like an ARG made to look like an inevitable console launch sputter. Devious bastards!

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Not surprising... even Blizzard, the guys who have been handling the largest, most popular MMORPG for years, had massive server issues for like a week after Diablo 3 launched.

This is a whole console, not just one game, and everyone has to download a huge patch as soon as they get it. There was no realistic way they'd be able to handle this load.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Welcome to Obama's America. ;)

Also I managed to update 20 min ago with no problem.

Although the psn log in messed up and showed me a bunch of code instead of setup directions which was amusing, but I was able to navigate it.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
They knew it would happen. They even gave people a way to update their systems with their computers. Yet the crash still happens. Chances are very few people took the alternate route. Bet we'll see better connectivity in a week or so. (maybe 2?) I'll stick to single player stuff til then. Store will be a madhouse.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
all three of my the ps4s my siblings got last night updated in the space.of.a.couple of mins although two of.them took a.while to.transfer thier psn accounts.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
vallorn said:
all three of my the ps4s my siblings got last night updated in the space.of.a.couple of mins although two of.them took a.while to.transfer thier psn accounts.
Yeah, I don't think that's going to be a problem. I doubt multiplayer will be as readily available, though. Haven't tried it yet myself.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Just watched a friends PS4 update, didn't take very long. Connection problems aside, it's nothing new that it's take anywhere from a few minutes to several minuets for a Sony system to update. I tend to think of that time as "bathroom time".

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
luvd1 said:
... No s#%t Sherlock. But my queston is, did Sony deliberately set psn to fail on the first day? Gets on the front page of all game news site and basically says "we have so many people buying our new s%#t that's it's broken the internet.". For negative news it's pretty positive.
Sometimes I wonder how they can't plan ahead, but then again atleast with the PS4 the player can just go and play their games while they wait. Microsoft wont be able to fall back on that and must have a 100% flawless release or else risk losing customers.

XMark said:
Not surprising... even Blizzard, the guys who have been handling the largest, most popular MMORPG for years, had massive server issues for like a week after Diablo 3 launched.

This is a whole console, not just one game, and everyone has to download a huge patch as soon as they get it. There was no realistic way they'd be able to handle this load.
Correction, everyone wanted to download a huge patch as soon as they get it. The system works without it.

As for myself, the manager at EB games knew I had ordered PS4 + KZ: S+ Controller, so she called me and offered the Killzone pack which comes with an extra controller, KZ: S and the Eyetoy for $50 less than I would have paid for them separately, and I just have to wait a few weeks till Mid dec (compared to late Nov for Aus release). Considering I knew this would happen I happily took the discount and bonus hardware :)

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Compatriot Block said:
I hope the connectivity is better before I get home. Updated last night, need to download a game now.
The Hungry Samurai said:
Wat.
Just a joke. Comparing the launch day woes of almost every online heavy game, to all the outrage over the similarly affected obamacare website. I'll go take my politics elsewhere now.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Remember when you could use all of your console's offline features offline if the day one patch wasn't working?

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
The Hungry Samurai said:
Compatriot Block said:
I hope the connectivity is better before I get home. Updated last night, need to download a game now.
The Hungry Samurai said:
Wat.
Just a joke. Comparing the launch day woes of almost every online heavy game, to all the outrage over the similarly affected obamacare website. I'll go take my politics elsewhere now.
Oh, that was my bad. I thought that you were saying this was somehow Obama's fault. Totally my mistake dood.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
luvd1 said:
I doubt they planned it. In part, because that would mean one of the console makers had a plan at some point.

CriticalMiss said:
That kind of looks like coordinates, possibly to hidden treasure. It's like an ARG made to look like an inevitable console launch sputter. Devious bastards!
I tried plotting east by northwest, and Google just laughed at me.

Compatriot Block said:
Pretty sure he's just taking the piss.

RicoADF said:
Sometimes I wonder how they can't plan ahead, but then again atleast with the PS4 the player can just go and play their games while they wait. Microsoft wont be able to fall back on that and must have a 100% flawless release or else risk losing customers.
Contrary to my prior joke about planning, I'm pretty sure they do plan this out. I'm pretty sure their plan dictates that it's better to inconvenience customers than it is to risk spending a single cent more than they have to on servers and the like. I mean, it sort of comes down to the question of "is everyone in the online gaming market incompetent, or is there some other plan here?"

And I'd say the latter is more probable.

Aaaanyway, you mentioned the Xbone, and I seriously wonder how this is going to play out. Because while you may be right that they could lose customers over it, I'm willing to bet we see similar outages day one for the Xbone. Given the mandatory nature, maybe even worse ones, because I'm betting more people will be trying to get the patch all at once so they can use their games.

If I had a PS4, I'd probably wait a day or two and save myself the trouble. With an Xbone, I wouldn't have that option.

Correction, everyone wanted to download a huge patch as soon as they get it. The system works without it.
I sort of wonder how many people understand this, though.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Contrary to my prior joke about planning, I'm pretty sure they do plan this out. I'm pretty sure their plan dictates that it's better to inconvenience customers than it is to risk spending a single cent more than they have to on servers and the like. I mean, it sort of comes down to the question of "is everyone in the online gaming market incompetent, or is there some other plan here?"
I think its mostly down to "is it worth to throw millions on server infrastructure for 1 launch day when it will stand there without being used for the rest f product life".
Servers get overlaoded on day 1, the usage drops significantly onwards.