State of Decay's "Long-Term Survival" DLC Launches Nov. 29

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
State of Decay's "Long-Term Survival" DLC Launches Nov. 29

State of Decay: Breakdown emphasizes survival over story with its endless campaign of escalating zombie hordes.

In many ways, State of Decay already behaves like the ideal simulator for zombie fans. It boasts an open-world environment, multiple defensive outposts, recruitable survivors, and roving zombie hordes that can easily ruin your day. Still, once you've completed the story campaign, maybe you're simply wondering how long you'd last against an unending stream of in-game zombies. If that's the case, State of Decay's Breakdown DLC is for you. Arriving later this month, State of Decay: Breakdown emphasizes survival over story, seeing how long players last against increasingly challenging waves of living dead.

Breakdown will include new characters, weapons, and achievements, but the biggest focus is on its increased difficulty. Breakdown's threat only increases the longer you've survived, presumably in terms of special infected spawns and the escalating numbers of each horde. And unlike the story mode, which at least has an ending, Breakdown only stops when your last survivor is torn to pieces. That's not to say there's no reward for surviving longer than your friends. Outside of leaderboard rankings, players can complete challenges to unlock additional characters, each with unique weapons and skills.

State of Decay: Breakdown will be available for $6.99 on November 29, 2013. Both Steam and Xbox 360 platforms will receive the expansion, as well as a title update with bug fixes and a new loot distribution system. If you're a PC gamer, Steam's version will also get remappable keybind features, for all the good that does in keeping the mob at bay.

Source: Undead Labs, via <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/15/5109412/state-of-decay-breakdown-dlc-coming-to-steam-xbox-live-nov-29>Polygon

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I like the idea as I had mountains of resources left over at my base by the end of the game and even more still on the map. However, I do wish there was some way to "win". You know, like kill some absurd amount of zombies to clear the state or something. That is the biggest problem I have with Nazi Zombies as well. You can't do anything but lose. I'll probably pick it up at some point though.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Meh. 15 bucks was already a bold price after they cut the multiplayer from the game.

I think I'll pass.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Wait isn't this still a beta on steam? Even if it's not officially I know there's still a hell of a lot of rough edges and bugs that need ironing out both on the 360 and Steam, surely that should be dealt with before dlc is released?

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
The ideal zombie survival simulator is Project Zomboid not this game.

This really is an extremely boring game not worth all the hype. Limitless zombies, constantly respawning enemies, no reason to fight any enemies except the occasional straggler because 90% of enemies can be run over. Boring stories being the only reprise between endlessly repeating the same 3 survivor rescue missions. Personally I don't give a crap about this horde (I made the punz) mode addition. With respawning enemies and special infected it's already way to arcade like for my taste.

If you want a real zombie simulator where survival is the only objective and the question is not how can you survive but how long will you survive. When you want to feel the pressure of ever scarcer resources as your precious food stores start to rot and you have to scavenge further for valuable tuna cans. If you want to actually feel the impact of your efforts clearing out the hordes go for Project Zomboid.

If you instead want a more arcade like game where you will sprint between the same 3 missions over and over and over. Where clearing an area doesn't so much clear it as prevent zombies to temporarily spawn within it. Where getting bitten and clawed at apparently doesn't matter and also doesn't stop playing itself when you log off? Get State of Decay and it's DLC.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I don't know if I'd be much of a fan of an onslaught mode like this. It's just the idea that you're creating something; a base, recruits, supplies and it's all going to be in vain at the end. Still, sounds cool.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
To me the game felt very much like a tech demo/prototype of something bigger that they hope to make. Loads of potential, just needs to be fleshed out across the board. I'd actually love to see what the dev could come up with if given more time and a bigger budget.

In its current state, it's fun, but far too arcadey and repetitive to really even warrant this DLC.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
ron1n said:
To me the game felt very much like a tech demo/prototype of something bigger that they hope to make.
That's exactly what it is (or was) When SoD was announced it was as a singleplayer taster for a future MMO. Whether that's still the case I don't know.

Ultratwinkie said:
Battenberg said:
Wait isn't this still a beta on steam? Even if it's not officially I know there's still a hell of a lot of rough edges and bugs that need ironing out both on the 360 and Steam, surely that should be dealt with before dlc is released?
Its done. been released for a while.
On the 360 yes, but It was on early access on Steam only from the end of September to the 5th of November. I'm inclined to call bullshit on the developer saying "oh it's finished now", then announcing paid DLC less than 2 weeks later.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I for one like the game. I've put 71 hours into it, according to Steam. I didn't find it buggy - I played on the controller while it was on early release. They've fixed up the 360 port and it works better now and looks a bit better. I haven't played since keyboard controls were officially added, but from what I've read on the official forums, it works well.

In some ways it does sound weird for it to go from Early Access to full release, then to DLC a few weeks later, but it's been on the 360 since June. It came out on Steam a couple months ago and they've been optimizing it since while the rest of the team finished the DLC they've been working on since the Xbox release.

There are bugs, there will always be bugs. I'm currently playing Project Zomboid, and I love it, but that game is shit tons buggier than State of Decay. I click and click and click and can't get some things to work at all (like sinks near stoves), but I still enjoy it.

If you want mods, go to the official forums - people are working on a lot of mods. They haven't released the official mod tools yet, but lots of people are adding really interesting things. Don't look through the Steam forums, go to the main site.

Now, Breakdown isn't quite as stated in the main post. You start off in town as normal, no story, and slowly build up your team and resources. When you think you're ready for more of a challenge or resources have run out, you begin to fix up the RV. The game ramps up a bit while you fix the RV, too. When it's ready, you get limited space for survivors and for resources, so you have to choose carefully. Then you drive off, and start off in town again, but there are fewer resources and harder zombies. And the cycle continues to infinity.

It's a good game. I'm kind of annoyed to see people having been ragging on it so much. Read the developer blogs before you make assumptions.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Completely misses the point for me. I can play any game to shoot at endlessly-respawning enemies. State of Decay, for me, was about planning and resource management, hunting for supplies and making the hard calls with who was and was not an asset to the group.

What a pity.