Limited Edition White Ouya Coming Out For The Holidays

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Limited Edition White Ouya Coming Out For The Holidays

The holiday Ouya hopes style and specs will back up a higher price tag.

Ouya is getting a new look for the holidays: A limited-edition version of the Android console set - a white box and controller - is coming out in time for the holidays.

At $129.99, the new version is almost $30 more than the standard edition, but it's extra feature are more than aesthetic. The white Ouya comes with 16GB of storage, double the amount found in the current model.

The console is currently available for pre-order [http://shop.ouya.tv/products/ouyalimitededition] in North America. Customers who put money down before December 8 are expected to receive the box in time for the holidays.

Source: Polygon [http://shop.ouya.tv/products/ouyalimitededition]

joeman098

Jun 18, 2007
Sorry ouya, Not interested still. Was a cute idea though I feel bad for the few people I know that got seats on that hype train. It was so bad for them they didn't even go through the denial phase of the "oh its really not that bad I like it". I am not even sure if there is anything that will really make it a hit at this point. other then some crazy minecraft like level exclusive.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I would laugh if this "limited edition" completely fails to sell out :)

Or sells more units than the standard one has so far

mixadj

Oct 23, 2010
This thing uses a Tegra 3 right? My Nexus 7 has that and its starting to feel slow just using the UI even with KitKat and a few speed mods. I would hate to see what the overall performance on this thing is.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
joeman098 said:
Sorry ouya, Not interested still. Was a cute idea though I feel bad for the few people I know that got seats on that hype train. It was so bad for them they didn't even go through the denial phase of the "oh its really not that bad I like it". I am not even sure if there is anything that will really make it a hit at this point. other then some crazy minecraft like level exclusive.
Eh, it's not terrible as a comparatively cheap box to use for playing emulators on a big screen TV, especially if you want such a device that you can easily transport and is simple to hook up (to, for example, take to a friend's house). Dunno if the GameStick does that better, worse, or equally though (if you know every TV you might use it with supports power over HDMI then it certainly wins on transportable and simple).

In short, the Ouya has it's place because it is small, cheap, lightweight, and has emulators along with a couple of decent games. Anyone who thought it was going to revolutionize the console industry was a fool, and the right frame of comparison is to Roku or GameStick rather than anything offered by Sony or MS.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I miss the Game Cube. Purple, orange. Im sure other colors existed too. Or N64 controllers which came in a whole rainbow of colors. Black and white game systems are...well...overdone.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
I love the sheer amount of hate the Ouya manages to drag up every time they put out a press release. It's like everyone is afraid it's going to walk into their house and smash up all their next gen systems or something!

Chill out, it's not going to bite

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
alright, now i can waste my time and money on a DIFFERENT COLOR WOOOOOO

did they even try to improve the controller, I'd like to at least feel comfortable when I watch it collect dust in the corner, or even when I feel bad out of sympathy because their development plan is to continue making more "advanced" versions of the machine which will increasingly splinter their playerbase of several hundred people when it becomes clear that any future games will have to adapt to every single one of them like the pc market, except we're talking about machines less powerful than a smartphone, and reliant on the already spread out Android market, which Google is slowly attempting to strangle by making their latest software locked into their version anyway

i could then pretend for five minutes that it matters and that i should be offended, even when they said this was their plan in advance, and it's the fault of everybody who didn't read their entire business plan, not that they minded taking the money anyway

on the other hand, any, uh, newly released ouya games (snrk) that don't really require the latest box will also serve to point out how useless it is to purchase the latest box when there's tons of used ouyas floating around the market

Schadrach said:
Anyone who thought it was going to revolutionize the console industry was a fool, and the right frame of comparison is to Roku or GameStick rather than anything offered by Sony or MS.
heh, maybe somebody should have told their marketing department that

or when they packed that same specific message on a large card at the very top of their launch day boxes (and the term is being used lightly here, it's more like a launch couple of months maybe), or when they camped outside e3 and pretended to be hardcore rebels who were railing against some sort of authority figure while playing cat and mouse with the security guards in some sort of sad bid for validation, while still handing out fliers with that same message printed on them

would it be wrong to say to call the people who purchased this thing out of hope, a fool? that they should have "read between the lines" or any number of other copout excuses why they were wrong and not the company who promised more than they could deliver? maybe you can live with it, but i find the entire thing somewhat distasteful, and it's not going to stop until everybody full well knows that they're not what they said they were going to be, and until then, there will be more wrongful purchases

it's not even that the machine itself is completely useless (it's irrelevant, which is an important distinction, if you aren't currently regretting one of these purchases anyway), it's that a company that pretends to be the messiah in order to create a demand/market for a product that they can't provide, but pretend to do so anyway in order to sell these things, is just the same crap we've dealt with before when the other consoles are mentioned

they can't even pass their own made up standards. they're like a revolution in real life. exciting and great when the mob mentality is pulling you along, but not so much when you realize that they just want the same thing as the people they're pretending to be superior to, just under their control

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I have a 250GB HDD plugged into my OUYA, holds pretty much every android game the OUYA can side load and launch.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Because YOU (and by "you" we mean this one guy who asked if it came in white) demanded it!