First Look at Anime Legend Hayao Miyazaki's New Samurai Manga

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
First Look at Anime Legend Hayao Miyazaki's New Samurai Manga

Staying busy in his retirement, the Princess Mononoke and Spritied Away director is working on a samurai manga set in the Warring States period.

Hayao Miyazaki, co-founder of Studio Ghibli and its most prominent director, certainly isn't your typical retiree. Instead of spending his days on a beach somewhere, or learning to knit Crunchyroll [http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/norwegian-totoro-mittens] reports that producer and colleague Toshio Suzuki believes that the legendary director is working on the manga without having received a manuscript payment. There's no word yet when Miyazaki's samurai manga will be published.

The famous director behind Studio Ghibli classics like Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Princess Monoke, and My Neighbour Totoro is no stranger to comic illustration. Miyazaki has illustrated several manga, including his seven-volume opus Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, of which the first two volumes became the film of the same name. He began his career as an artist, working on anime at Toei Animation. Miyazaki worked at several animation studios before leading his first feature film. His attention to detail and dedication to his work led him to personally review every frame [http://www.deepfocusreview.com/articles/miyazakiretrospective.asp] in his early films, a practice that earned him a reputation as a workaholic.

[gallery=1908]

Koji Hoshino, head of Studio Ghibli, official North American trailer for the film [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127382-Hayao-Miyazaki-Ghiblis-Anime-Legend-Retires-at-72] was released today.

Source: CrunchyRoll [http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/11/18-1/first-look-at-hayao-miyazakis-new-manga]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well this is something I definitely must read. I love Hayao Miyazaki's works and find them to be some of the best animated movies I've ever seen.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Warring States Period...is that when the Samurai Warriors games take place? With Nobunaga Oda and all those guys? If so, color me interested. :3

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
So the Miyazaki takes retirement, and goes off to just make managa. What a guy. He should be every artist's hero.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Warring States Period...is that when the Samurai Warriors games take place? With Nobunaga Oda and all those guys? If so, color me interested. :3
Yes, the Warring States period, known as the 戦国時代 (Sengoku Period) is the era of Japan dominated by the 3 Shogunate, Nobunaga Oda, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, and Tokugawa Ieyasu (Ieyasu later unifying Japan under one leadership and establishing the Tokugawa Shogunate).

Hooray for being a Japanese major in college and taking those Asian Studies classes. XD

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Neronium said:
RJ 17 said:
Yes, the Warring States period, known as the 戦国時代 (Sengoku Period) is the era of Japan dominated by the 3 Shogunate, Nobunaga Oda, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, and Tokugawa Ieyasu (Ieyasu later unifying Japan under one leadership and establishing the Tokugawa Shogunate).

Hooray for being a Japanese major in college and taking those Asian Studies classes. XD
Hehehe, I figured it was. Now, I'm not claiming to be a Japanese major or anything - or that the Samurai Warriors games are a particularly accurate telling of the tale - but I do know from those games (and from the manga/anime series Rurouni Kenshin, actually) a little bit about the time period. I'd be very interested to see a manga based off of it.

My favorite bit is Mitsuhide's betrayal of Nobunaga. Did that really happen? Did Mitsuhide really trap Nobunaga in a burning village and ambush him?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
RJ 17 said:
My favorite bit is Mitsuhide's betrayal of Nobunaga. Did that really happen? Did Mitsuhide really trap Nobunaga in a burning village and ambush him?
Yes, Mitsushide did betray Nobunaga, but Mitsushide didn't kill him personally. He did however except responsibility for killing him and his son. It is known as the Incident at Honnji, and after that Tokugawa Ieyasu and Toyomoto Hideyoshi went to avenge Nobunaga, as Mitsushide had declared himself the Shogun.
The result was that after 13 days of his reign, Mitsushide was killed after fleeing from the aftermath of the Battle of Yamazaki when he was on his way to Sakamoto. His short reign did give birth to the word 三日天下, which means "short-lived reign". XD

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Neronium said:
RJ 17 said:
Yes, Mitsushide did betray Nobunaga, but Mitsushide didn't kill him personally. He did however except responsibility for killing him and his son. It is known as the Incident at Honnji, and after that Tokugawa Ieyasu and Toyomoto Hideyoshi went to avenge Nobunaga, as Mitsushide had declared himself the Shogun.
The result was that after 13 days of his reign, Mitsushide was killed after fleeing from the aftermath of the Battle of Yamazaki when he was on his way to Sakamoto. His short reign did give birth to the word 三日天下, which means "short-lived reign". XD
Better than Liu Bei's son from the Three Kingdoms period of Chinese history. Apparently he was such a horrible leader that his name these days is actually Chinese slang for absolute incompetence. :3

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I take it retirement for this guy just means not working ALL the time. You gotta love him.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
One of the fun things... Nausicaa was initially conceptualized as a Fantasy Samurai Story before morphing into its final. Seriously, check out the Nausicaa: Watercolor Impressions artbook for some of the early concept work, looks like he's invoking a bit of the spirit of that in his new project.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
If I was old and famous I'd do whatever the fuck I wanted too. This is awesome! My only concern is that he won't finish it on time (you too, George R.R. Martin!).

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Awesome, I'll have to keep an eye out for this! I love Miyazaki's movies, so the manga should be just as good... Right?

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
*looks up from reading*

Miyazaki still working, even after retired?
To make manga, like back with Nausicaa?
About Japanese history, no less?

Yup, I'm pretty interested/excited/intrigued.

And DEM COLORS. If it ever gets brought stateside, I'd only hope we'd get the same color work; instead of black/white/grey.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
erttheking said:
I take it retirement for this guy just means not working ALL the time. You gotta love him.
Nah man, this guy is gonna keep working till he's dead or his hands freeze up from old age.

That there's the quality of a real artist.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I had no idea Nausicaa was a manga, now that I know there is more to the story than the movie I must go forth and hunt it down (and hope there is an English translation).

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Neronium said:
RJ 17 said:

[small]Or from playing Shogun 2[/small]

That game taught me quite a few things about Sengoku Jidai.

Anyway, can't wait for the Manga, his work seems to be right up my alley(I liked Spirited Away and Mononoke a bunch)

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I'm not sure what to be surprised at first, that Miyazaki retired (I never knew that), that he's working on a samurai manga, or that I'm surprised by the subject matter (he did do Princess Mononoke, after all).

But really, the Sengoku Jidai? I definitely want to see his take on that. And those storyboards make the art look awfully detailed (also, he started at Toei Animation? I'm learning all sorts of things today).

Neronium said:
RJ 17 said:
Fellow Japanese and Asian Studies major?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
Fellow Japanese and Asian Studies major?

Well my major is Japanese, but my Minor is still up in the air for right now. It's fluctuating really, and the hard part is that the Asian Studies classes are offered at weird times, and a lot of the time they conflict with my Japanese 212 class which is only offered in spring semesters.