Disney Princesses Revamped With Final Fantasy Job Classes

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Disney Princesses Revamped With Final Fantasy Job Classes

DeviantArt user Geyres has created a gallery of Disney Princesses redesigned to match their ideal job from Final Fantasy.

There are challenges that come along with becoming a parent, some of them more obvious than others. You expect to lose sleep, for instance. You also expect to change diapers, have your house be a perpetual mess and to never have money again. All of this said, probably the trickiest thing you'll encounter as the father of a young daughter are the Disney Princesses.

It should be said that I'm not opposed to Disney or even movies involving princesses. That being the case, with only a few exceptions, the Disney Princesses are pretty lame. Sure you have your warrior maidens like Mulan and Merida, but vastly tilting the scale in the other direction are the likes of weak, subordinate damsels like Snow White, Cinderella and (ugh) Ariel. Where are the princesses who like to run around pretending they're dinosaurs or who made their Daddy proud by (voluntarily) picking their own first lightsaber at the toy store? Why does it always have to be pretty faces, big dresses and true love?

That said, I can't help but applaud the work of artists like Geryes, a member of DeviantArt, who recently posted a gallery of Disney Princesses customized to be a bit tougher, Final Fantasy style. Geryes adapted each of Disney's leading animated ladies into a new version based on what he thought their Final Fantasy job class would be. There are some obvious ones -Merida as an archer- but others were a bit more creative. I was an especial fan of Belle as a Beastmaster.

[gallery=1909]

Geryes work, of course, is not affiliated with Disney or Square Enix on any formal level. That said, I kind of wish it was, because Paladin Cinderella is leagues cooler than the original scrubbing-the-floors Cinderella. But I digress, take a look at Geryes work and let us know which Disney Princess made the easiest transition from boring to battle ready.

Source: <a href=http://www.themarysue.com/disney-final-fantasy/#0>The Mary Sue

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Quiet Stranger said:
Wow, this is pretty bad ass, amazing art work and all the classes fit the princesses REALLY well.
Instead of another Kingdom Hearts, maybe we'll get a Disney/Final Fantasy crossover "Princess RPG". :)

Otherwise I have no real problem with girls acting traditionally girly, and princesses that act like well, princesses. Overall Disney has a decent range of personalities in their princess stable IMO. That said it does surprise me that with all of the musical numbers not one of them was a dancer or bard/minstrel. ;)

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
It is great when amazing, talented artists re-imagine pre-existing intellectual properties.

This.. this is not so great, or amazing. Nice idea though.

fangclaw

Mar 3, 2010
i didn't know kida counted as a "disney princess." i never seen her anywhere outside of her own movies. it is nice to see her though.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
What is Kida from? I tried googling it and apparently botched it.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
BQE said:
What is Kida from? I tried googling it and apparently botched it.
She's from atlantis, I'm not sure how you managed to botch googling the name though.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Mulan be earth slashin' awl day!

These are pretty neat, though cant help but wish the aesthetic style was different.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
Wait a moment. Why is Ariel not a Bard? Don't get me wrong I think she can work red mage too, but Bard makes more sense to me. She did give up her voice at one point.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
keideki said:
Wait a moment. Why is Ariel not a Bard? Don't get me wrong I think she can work red mage too, but Bard makes more sense to me. She did give up her voice at one point.
A valid point seeing as she was the most musical of the princesses. Honestly I remember most of her musical numbers. That being said; the Bard outfit isn't that much to behold other than the puffy hat and shirt. Red Mage looks better. On another note anyone think it odd that Aurora is a Black Mage? Pretty cool. Why is Tiana a Lancer and not Dragoon? I thought that was what the spear class that jumps was called. Snow White could have Poisona that apple, or better yet cast Reraise on herself before eating that apple. Very cool pictures. Makes me want to play some FF (any)

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Arawn said:
keideki said:
A valid point seeing as she was the most musical of the princesses. Honestly I remember most of her musical numbers. That being said; the Bard outfit isn't that much to behold other than the puffy hat and shirt. Red Mage looks better. On another note anyone think it odd that Aurora is a Black Mage? Pretty cool. Why is Tiana a Lancer and not Dragoon? I thought that was what the spear class that jumps was called. Snow White could have Poisona that apple, or better yet cast Reraise on herself before eating that apple. Very cool pictures. Makes me want to play some FF (any)
Lancer and Dragoon are pretty interchangeable within FF, for the most part. I'm relatively sure (but don't quote me on it) that a Dragoon is a type of Lancer.

These pictures are so cool though. Kingdom Hearts 3 would be the best game if they just used all these designs.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
Arawn said:
keideki said:
Why is Tiana a Lancer and not Dragoon? I thought that was what the spear class that jumps was called.
The outfits seem FFXIV:ARR inspired to me, going by warrior and monk. In FFXIV, lancer is the first 30 levels before Dragoon... Which wouldn't make sense, as Monk and Warrior are the advanced jobs. Then again, Archer is the beginning job that leads into Bard.

I like them, the outfits are inspired from all the different games. I see Final Fantasy Tactics in there too.

And I love Ariel turning her fork into a sword, in FFXI I played a Red Mage and I believe we have a stone sword spell just like that. But it has been many many years since I played, so don't quote me on that.

But it is nice to see, as a little girl I loved my princesses, but I loved my Final Fantasy more. I spent years playing FF with Lego, before Lego had gender specific people. A white space helmet = Celes for me. Who to me was a princess. Who also kicked butt.

I do believe little girls should be taught that femininity has it's place (and it's uses) but that women are strong, too. Disney tries, but only lately has it succeeded. Final Fantasy has been doing it forever. A good mix.

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
keideki said:
To be fair... Bards suck. Especially in many of the games they were in. They're a nice idea, but many don't see a use for them, especially in Final Fantasy Tactics. But that's just how I see it.

Anyway, the pictures look awesome! Especially Jasmine's.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Where is Princess Eilonwy? she could be some kind of Blue Mage.

Or Alice (from Wonderland)? I HAVE seen her in Disney princess stuff before.

bluphino

Mar 29, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Clearly I'm behind on my Disney Princesses homework. Who's Aurora?

And no love for Leia? She counts now! I'd probably call her a ninja. She does a fair amount of sneaking and infiltration.
]

Aurora would be Sleeping Beauty

vid87

May 17, 2010
Therumancer said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Wow, this is pretty bad ass, amazing art work and all the classes fit the princesses REALLY well.
Instead of another Kingdom Hearts, maybe we'll get a Disney/Final Fantasy crossover "Princess RPG". :)
At the very least, they should remove the stupid "We cannot meddle in the affairs of other worlds" (even though that's EXACTLY what everyone does) and let Sora bring Disney characters into a rotating roster of party members that he can bring anywhere, with female characters who have special abilities. Why not bring Mulan to Agrabah? Why not let Ariel get legs and have her spam lightning spells (seriously, she has lightning spells) in Tron world, have Aurora cast status effects like Sleep, or let Aladdin steal special items instead of waiting for drops? The point of the series is that everyone is in the struggle together, yet that one detail has been the major sticking point IMO.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
DRTJR said:
Where is Princess Eilonwy? she could be some kind of Blue Mage.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's watched The Black Cauldron. :p

Anywho, this is all pretty cool. I'm kinda surprised Kida made it on here. I've never really seen her much outside of Atlantis.