8 Spaceships From Amazing Movies

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Spaceships From Amazing Movies

To celebrate the 20th expansion for EVE Online, Rubicon, we give you a short list of some of the best spaceships that have appeared in movies. Just make sure that if you leave the ship you aren't going to get cut loose by a rogue sentient computer.

Read Full Article

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
DrStrangelove said:
That and the fact that it's a rare sight to see so many assholes.
That really made me smile, great reference to one of my favorite movie scenes.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
I remember Flight of the Navigator. It was one of my favourite movies when I was a kid.
Yeah me too... rewatched it a while ago. Was a bit meh... but the design of the ship... amazing.

Also: Deathblossom motherfuckers... yeah

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
This would have made for a fun quiz.

Also, I can't believe there's no Star Destroyer in here. No other capital spaceship is as iconic as an imperial class Star Destroyer. What were you thinking? Seriously.

canadamus_prime said:
I remember Flight of the Navigator. It was one of my favourite movies when I was a kid.
I re-watched that movie 'recently' (a year ago), expecting to be disappointed, because, well, you grow up and you raise your standards (hopefully). To the contrary, I was surprised how good the movie has aged and how watchable it is, even for adults. It's one of those rare E.T. type movies which are about kids, but are still demanding and exciting enough to be appreciated by all age groups.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
Ahhh, classic film spaceship design. They knew how to build them back in those days...

*nostalgias*

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Ah yes, the Roger Young. A ship so advanced it completely ignores all laws of space travel to fly like a big metal blimp. Oh the wonders of science.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
GoddyofAus said:
Should've included video game starships. The Pillar of Autumn would make this list easily.
Maybe you didn't read the title carefully enough.

Anyway, this list gets a thumbs-up from me, if only because it remembers Flight of the Navigator. I would so love to fly that thing!

wax

Apr 8, 2010
I guess the USS Enterprise 1701 dosen't count because it's from a TV Series originally?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
wax said:
I guess the USS Enterprise 1701 dosen't count because it's from a TV Series originally?
The Enterprise E didn't appear in any of the TV series so it could have been eligible.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Ed130 said:
wax said:
The Enterprise E didn't appear in any of the TV series so it could have been eligible.

Well you could add in the refit of the Enterprise A since technically it never appeared in the TV-series.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Any and all complaints against this list are invalidated against its inclusion of Max from Flight of the Navigator. Need to track that film down again - wonder if I'd still like it..

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I was prepared to give this list all sorts of grief for not including the USS Sulaco. However, you listed a Gunstar so I will let it slide. My buddy managed to fine a copy of The Last Starfighter on DVD a few weeks ago so we had to sit down and watch it while being filled with lots of nostalgia......and beer.

drthmik

Jul 29, 2011
While this list has some iconic and fantastic ships from great movies
it also has some complete WTF?! why is that there

2001 was mostly long and boring until HAL went nuts and the ship was never interesting at all

Alien was a great movie but we never watched it for it's great ship. it isn't really iconic at all and could have easily been replaced with any other kind of location that left them trapped with the Xenomorph

Mars Attacks was a fun bad movie not a great movie and the ships were boring uninspired flying saucers. If you're going to pick a Flying Saucer at least pick an Iconic one

Starship Troopers has the same problem as Alien. The ship has so little presence in the movie that it is not worth mentioning on a list like this

Likewise District 9 it was just a background image for the whole movie

Meanwhile many iconic ships were left out
Milenium Falcon, Tie Fighter, Slave One, A-Wing, B-Wing, X-Wing & Star Destroyer from Star Wars
The Enterprise (1701, A & E were in great movies, too bad D wasn't) & the HMS Bounty From Star Trek
The Mothership from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind that YOU HAVE TAGGED but not pictured
The Serenity from Serenity
The alien ships from Independence Day and War of the Worlds
The Odyssey, Aquarius and Service Modules of the Apollo 13 Mission from Apollo 13
I could go on

On the other hand I like the inclusion of Max, Spaceball One and the Gunstar Those were Excellent choices!

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
This would have made for a fun quiz.

Also, I can't believe there's no Star Destroyer in here. No other capital spaceship is as iconic as an imperial class Star Destroyer. What were you thinking? Seriously.

canadamus_prime said:
I re-watched that movie 'recently' (a year ago), expecting to be disappointed, because, well, you grow up and you raise your standards (hopefully). To the contrary, I was surprised how good the movie has aged and how watchable it is, even for adults. It's one of those rare E.T. type movies which are about kids, but are still demanding and exciting enough to be appreciated by all age groups.
Yeh, I saw that film fairly recently on tv and I still really enjoyed it. I was obsessed with that ship when I was a kid, what I would have done to have my own one. :) I always liked the "chunkiness" of the ships from Starship Troopers as well.

I agree there should have been one Enterprise incarnation in there.