Xbox One Will Have YouTube App at Launch

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Xbox One Will Have YouTube App at Launch

Voice and gesture controls will let you find dancing cat videos right out of the box.

Microsoft officially announced today that the Xbox One will have a dedicated YouTube app. It was adorable corgi videos [http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/8/5078904/xbox-one-entertainment-app-lineup] will be a bit easier. Voice commands for the app will include being able to start, stop, and fast forward videos. Gesture commands will let you scroll through videos and select one to watch. You will be able to access your channel subscriptions, subscribe to new channels, and see trending videos sorted by topic. The app supports streaming video quality up to and including 1080p.

Snap mode [http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5126968/youtube-xbox-one-app-release-features], which lets you access apps simultaneously while playing a game, will not be available with the YouTube app at launch. Microsoft says that functionality will be added "in the coming months."

The addition of the YouTube app distinguishes the entertainment options on the Xbox One from the PS4, which does not have a dedicated app. The PS4 still leads when it comes to livestreaming, however. Microsoft announced yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129782-Xbox-One-Wont-Feature-Twitch-Livestreaming-at-Launch] that the Twitch app for Xbox One will not support livestreaming at launch.

The YouTube app will be available at launch in all markets except for Austria, Ireland, and New Zealand. For those countries, Microsoft says the app will be available in the coming days. The Xbox One launches Friday, November 22.

Source: Xbox Wire [http://news.xbox.com/2013/11/xbox-one-youtube-on-xbox-one]

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm sorry, is this suppose to be a benefit or a problem? Youtube hasn't exactly been aces for a LONG TIME.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
FalloutJack said:
I'm sorry, is this suppose to be a benefit or a problem? Youtube hasn't exactly been aces for a LONG TIME.
Well they could possibly have a beautiful way of presenting the app. I don't know if the PS4 has one, but the Wii U's YouTube app is terrible, and it's better to just use the Wii U's lovely browser to go to YouTube.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Neronium said:
FalloutJack said:
Well they could possibly have a beautiful way of presenting the app. I don't know if the PS4 has one, but the Wii U's YouTube app is terrible, and it's better to just use the Wii U's lovely browser to go to YouTube.
I'm not questioning browsers or apps, really. I just know that Youtube is bad at the source, at the site, in the code. It performs badly, it has (as noted around these parts many times) a terrible userbase, and the people running it aren't much better. I don't think this one's gonna be the selling point, do you?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
FalloutJack said:
I'm not questioning browsers or apps, really. I just know that Youtube is bad at the source, at the site, in the code. It performs badly, it has (as noted around these parts many times) a terrible userbase, and the people running it around much better. I don't think this one's gonna be the selling point, do you?
True, but then again there are many people who are suckers for cute animal videos that are all over YouTube. Plus they have to advertise some app since Twitch isn't supported at launch. (still find that strange)

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Neronium said:
Yes, people are suckers for cute animal videos, and facebook, and certainly the thing that's ever-present on the internet that the Escapist doesn't want us talking about here. However, the medium for the video doth suck on many occasions, facebook is a HOLE that I don't even wanna get started (literally and figuratively), and the sites that contain the four-letter P-word often have bad things for your computer in them...or demand money.

Actually, if Microsoft can clear up the last one, they'll have something there.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
I would never understand appeal of Youtube on a console.

It is pain in the lower back to type in with controller and voice command only works like half the time(You should surely have some kind of hand held device that is also capable of doing such things with miniature keyboard, no?). Why would anyone want to watch video while playing a game is beyond me(possible to watch game guides). No editing capabilities on consoles means it allows people to create annoying videos that nobody will watch.

This whole concept is beyond my comprehension.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
This is super convenient, provided (of course) you don't have a smart t.v, smart phone, tablet, laptop or personal computer.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
On the ps3 (not 4) you can sync your phone to the ps3, search for videos on your phone and then play them on your tv. I do it all the time since my pc broke, it's like a little tv remote.

Weird how this is on ps3 but not 4... oh well, probably be able to use an internet browser to go to youtube instead

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Neronium said:
FalloutJack said:
I'm not questioning browsers or apps, really. I just know that Youtube is bad at the source, at the site, in the code. It performs badly, it has (as noted around these parts many times) a terrible userbase, and the people running it around much better. I don't think this one's gonna be the selling point, do you?
True, but then again there are many people who are suckers for cute animal videos that are all over YouTube. Plus they have to advertise some app since Twitch isn't supported at launch. (still find that strange)
Considering the hellstorm that has blown up in the Twitch community recently... I can't quite see this being a bad thing.

(Said hellstorm involves things which I dare not directly bring up on these forums. However the easiest way to find out for yourself is to Google "Twitch Remove Horror" and do some browsing if curiosity overcomes caution.)

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
This'd probably be a nicer feature if Youtube hadn't just done that stupid Google+ merger.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
But let me guess, you'll need a XBL Gold Subscription just to access it right? Just like Internet Explorer, Netflix, and Skype, right?

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
ShakerSilver said:
But let me guess, you'll need a XBL Gold Subscription just to access it right? Just like Internet Explorer, Netflix, and Skype, right?
That would be my guess, too. Considering they've put everything online behind the pay wall, I don't see why they'd not do that with YT, too.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
ShakerSilver said:
And here lies the main reason I will never get an Xbone. The stuff they've done on the 360: charging subs for access to 3rd party apps that Msoft don't sustain, basically locking the hardware you've already bought behind a monthly fee. Not to mention the ads on the dashboard. I refuse to be treated like that.

Pirate Of PC Master race said:
I would never understand appeal of Youtube on a console.

It is pain in the lower back to type in with controller and voice command only works like half the time(You should surely have some kind of hand held device that is also capable of doing such things with miniature keyboard, no?). Why would anyone want to watch video while playing a game is beyond me(possible to watch game guides). No editing capabilities on consoles means it allows people to create annoying videos that nobody will watch.

This whole concept is beyond my comprehension.
You can use smartglass enabled devices (read: phone or tablet) as controllers and they have full keyboards. There is an official TV-style remote for the 360 that types reasonably and there's a mini keyboard attachment you can get for the controller which performs pretty well in my experience. Yeah typing with a controller is normally arse, but I have to say I like the way steam does it. Takes some practice but works very well. Point is, youtube on the big screen holds a lot of appeal to a lot of people, and the tools are in place to make it a less shit experience.