Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare: Xbox One Release Date

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare: Xbox One Release Date

PopCap's upcoming PvZ-themed shooter will hit retail shelves in February.

Plants vs. Zombies might not be a franchise that naturally comes to mind when you're debating the strength of Microsoft's next-gen lineup, but EA certainly thinks that it'll be a big deal. The fact that Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare was the very first title that EA showed off during its E3 press conference speaks to the publisher's confidence.

But E3 was months ago, and, until today, EA had gone silent about Garden Warfare, which has undoubtedly caused a spiral of deep depression among hardcore PvZ players (those exist, right?). Luckily, Electronic Arts has finally broken its silence with an announcement about Garden Warfare's February 18 launch on Xbox One and Xbox 360.

"Gamers across the world have fallen in love with the Plants vs. Zombies characters and now they'll get to see them in an entirely new light," said Brian Lindley, a Producer on Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare. "Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare give the series' fans and shooter players a fun, new experience that they'll both enjoy as they blast, chomp and laugh their way through co-op and head-to-head online action."

Xbox One and Xbox 360 owners should be able to pick up a copy of Garden Warfare on February 18th in North America and February 20th in Europe. EA hasn't discussed when the title will migrate to other platforms, but it's probably safe to assume that those details will be revealed within the next few months.

In the mean time, PopCap, the developer behind Garden Warfare, has released a ten-minute gameplay video, and I have attached it to this article because I care about you. You're welcome.

Source: Electronic Arts [http://ea.newshq.businesswire.com/press-release/ea-games-label/plants-vs-zombies-garden-warfare-blasts-its-way-xbox-one-and-xbox-360-f]

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
I Really wanted to know why they this type of PvZ, but when i think about this... no im still confused as to as to why.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Ah, the old "take existing non-shooter franchise and make it a shooter" trick. Worked wonders for Syndicate and Dead Space, didn't it?

If anyone didn't immediately realise that was sarcasm, I'm going in the corner to have a little cry. Seriously, why do they keep doing this?

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Gearhead mk2 said:
Ah, the old "take existing non-shooter franchise and make it a shooter" trick. Worked wonders for Syndicate and Dead Space, didn't it??
Normally I'd have a very similar reaction. This is, when described, almost everything people hate about things attached to EA. New genre alien to the developers and almost completely unrelated to the original game (to wit. a shooter) in an attempt to franchise something that really didn't need a franchise (PvZ was excellent on its own, a direct sequel is good, but it really didn't need to cross genre or really be a franchise at all) etc.

But unlike others, this one is actually staying fairly comfortable and seems to be going in a 3rd person tf2 direction, but with special abilities for each class besides distinct weapons to make them more interesting and diverse. And then of course the inherent hilarity of walking around as a sentient plant spitting projectiles at zombies (what the hell kind of muscles do they have in their gullet to spit stuff that far?).

It could be fun. So long as it never ever tries to take itself seriously. That'll be the death sentence.