See the Hijinks of a Dysfunctional Super Agent in Munroe

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006

There's a new super agent in town, and his gadgets are terrible.

Last week, Shut Up! Cartoons launched their latest and greatest series, Munroe, featuring clandestine organizations, a particularly odd super agent, and his less-than-ideal co-workers. In the first episode, putting everything on the line, Munroe infiltrates Megashadow's secret lab with a little help from his friends.

Munroe is something akin to Sealab 2021, utilizing retro-style animation to give it an old feel. If your favorite part of Sealab was the animation, you'll feel right at home with Munroe.

There's actually a second episode out now [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10nE5W7ABIA], and another slated for November 27, so keep an eye out for more Munroe, and be thankful you don't have to deal with his gadget guy.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
although i think its odd that a random funny you-tube video is posted as news, i do find the video funny.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
The Escapist Staff said:

Munroe is something akin to Sealab 2021, utilizing retro-style animation to give it an old feel. If your favorite part of Sealab was the animation, you'll feel right at home with Munroe.
Who are you trying to kid here? We ALL know what show this takes it's inspiration from. It's easy cos it was made by the Sealab people and uses the same style of animation. It also features dysfunctional super agents...

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Can the Suicidewatch gadget man give me a device which turns the tedium of that show into Archer?

Screw it. I'll just get Krieger to staple a microchip to my brain. What's the worst that could happen other Loonyyy? You could watch it again. True other Loonyyy. Very true.

Just ick. The spy parody has been done, the cartoon spy parody has been done, and the cartoon spy parody with incompetent assholes has been pretty much perfected by Archer, and I have a hard time believing that no-one involved didn't notice that.

bwysol

Nov 23, 2013
Archer is a cool show. Munroe is based on a cartoon I made in 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJRk1okl5_k

Sorry you don't like it.

-Brian

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Well...that was shit. Although it has reminded me that I should watch Sealab again, that's a quality show.

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
First episode impressions...honestly, it feels like trying too hard to be whacky. Humor lacks flow, comes off as disjointed and forced. Advise trying to work the gags into the narrative more naturally, rather than explaining them or just harping on the idea of a gag without doing anything with it (as in the entire chain of 'my gadgets are awful').

In general, things that are nonsensical should still /feel/ like they make sense in themselves. Someone in the story really thought putting an instagram function on a gun would be a good idea...think about how someone might actually engineer something like that, and see where it takes you instead of crudely grafting it onto the generic 'terrible gadgets' running gag.

It feels like they're going out of their way to be 'random', when it should be taking a weird but not basically irrational idea (gun camera) and taking it to an absurd logical extreme (gun camera with a full range of post processing filters and video capture that plays a jaunty ringtone whenever you shoot someone and alerts you whenever someone reblogs your shot post). There's a smoother opening right there: Instead of starting by having his stealth blown by his supervisor's call, have his stealth blown when his silenced pistol plays the opening bars of Yankee Doodle after blowing the guy's face off.

Then have the drunk supervisor call to compliment the shot while he's fighting half a dozen other guys who showed up after they figured out where he was from his kill cam, and in the conversation with the tech guy ask why in the hell his gun was programmed to sing Yankee Doodle whenever he pulled the trigger and have it turn out that the tech guy is a raging American Jingoist who also programmed it to cycle through Hail to the Chief and God Bless the USA during sustained firing sequences, or something.

These are just examples of course. There's a lot of ways to play that sort of thing that flow more smoothly, with less repetition and redundancy. Experiment, see where the notion leads you, but don't leave your jokes at 'lol, overcomplicated instagram gun, so stupid'.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
So we all agree this is basically Archer but horrible and lame in comparison? I mean if Archer didn't already exist, the would be fine. But all the jokes you can make about a spy network, Archer already does. What is next, Hatchett Sheriff?

Now I saw the argument that the guy had the idea back in 2007, well it it is 2013 now and we aready have archer.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
bwysol said:
Archer is a cool show. Munroe is based on a cartoon I made in 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJRk1okl5_k

Sorry you don't like it.

-Brian
Sorry to sound like an asshole but that argument holds zero water. I mean lets assume that is the absolute truth and you did come up with that show back then. It's 2013 and I am sure you have had fresher ideas since then. If you make a show similar to a popular and well loved show, comparisons will be made. Why not do something fresh instead of re-hashing old ideas and being annoyed when people point out it's an old idea. Ideas being old is not a defence or an excuse. In the creative industry there should be no excuses. You stand by your work or you step over it.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Uh one second, *picks up imaginary phone* "Hi Archer? Yeah, this is Munroe - you win.".

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Give it a rest. Just because Archer exists doesn't mean nothing can try a similar approach. It's like saying "We have WoW, stop making MMOs, you're never going to beat it" (except with content quality instead of financial dominance).

That said, the humour seems forced and why is this news.