Melodies of Hyrule Delivers Violin Covers of Classic Zelda Music

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Melodies of Hyrule Delivers Violin Covers of Classic Zelda Music

Taylor Davis's Melodies of Hyrule features 16 classic Zelda songs revamped for only $9.99.

The Legend of Zelda is a series with an arguably unmatched ability to tug on the nostalgia strings of its fans, something evidenced very well by its most recent addition, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10770-The-Legend-of-Zelda-A-Link-Between-Worlds-Review>A Link Between Worlds. Honestly though, it doesn't take an entire game filled with retro tributes to get fans in a mood for some dungeon delving. Often, a little bit of music is more than enough to do the trick.

The Zelda games, after all, have played host to some of the most beloved and endearing music the game industry has ever produced. Perhaps hoping to tap into that greatness herself, musician Taylor Davis recently released Melodies of Hyrule, an album of violin covers focused solely on the Zelda franchise. The album contains 16 tracks in total with more than a fair portion of that number hailing from Ocarina of Time.

To help promote Melodies Davis has also recently put out a music video showcasing her paired up renditions of the Song of Time and Song of Storms. The music sounds great and the video is fun so we definitely suggest giving it a watch. In turn, if it strikes your fancy you can check out <a href=https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/melodies-hyrule-music-from/id763234097>Melodies of Hyrule on iTunes where Davis also has two other gaming-centric albums: <a href=https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/gaming-fantasy/id529340727>Gaming Fantasy and <a href=https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/game-on-2-player-mode/id588808236>Game On: 2 Player Mode. Melodies of Hyrule purchased in full for $9.99.

Source: <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIXCL5VR9Ho>YouTube

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Taylor Davis (who used to go by Violintay on youtube) is very talented at what she does. She's done violin renditions of songs from video games, movies, and even anime (one of her best is a violin rendition of the soundtrack "Brothers" from the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime).

Seriously, if you haven't experienced any of her work, give her a looksie on youtube. I'm very excited about her Zelda covers, and can't wait to hear them.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Too bad she hasn't put up the physical copies for sale yet, I was thinking of giving away this as a Christmas present to my friend... also keep one for myself. Just a shame she doesn't have Saria's Song, that's probably my favourite of all time. Oh well, I do love Song of Storms too and this was an excellent version of it.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Is this a thing now? Videos of good violinists playing in their cosplay in appropriate scenery? Which ultimately turns out really silly because while the camera epically goes around them just standing there (or dancing for no reason).

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Cartographer said:
Cheaper on Amazon...
Yeah, that's true, but considering Amazon.com only sells digital content to those living in USA there are quite a few who are unable to buy it from there. That said it would have been better to have directed people to her website rather than either option.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Goliath100 said:
Is this a thing now? Videos of good violinists playing in their cosplay in appropriate scenery? Which ultimately turns out really silly because while the camera epically goes around them just standing there (or dancing for no reason).
Hey, it's better than the usual kind of music videos, where the artist is singing to the camera in some everyday setting and everybody else is acting like normal, and very noticeably not noticing that s/he is singing to a camera that doesn't exist from their point of view.

...can you tell I really don't like music vidoes?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I think I've found myself a new musician for my list of favourites. There's at least 4 albums on iTunes that I want right now. Shame I'm a bit low on cash. I'll be keeping my eye on you Taylor Davis.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Goliath100 said:
Thanks for putting my thoughts into words! *glances at Lindsey Stirling video's... *

Aside from that, I'm a bit surprised that Nintendo is letting this here fly, somebody making money off of their property like this, albeit redone in an original form.

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Yopaz said:
Cartographer said:
Cheaper on Amazon...
Yeah, that's true, but considering Amazon.com only sells digital content to those living in USA there are quite a few who are unable to buy it from there. That said it would have been better to have directed people to her website rather than either option.
You might want to look before you leap, Amazon covers more than the US

Amazon UK - It's there
Amazon France - It's there
Amazon Germany - It's there
Amazon Italy - It's there
Amazon Japan - It's there
Amazon Spain - It's there

Gutted if you're in Brazil, China, Australia or Mexico though.

You're right, it would have been better to link to her website (which itself links to itunes, Amazon and Google play) which also offers the physical copy.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Cartographer said:
Yopaz said:
Cartographer said:
Cheaper on Amazon...
You might want to look before you leap, Amazon covers more than the US

Amazon UK - It's there
Amazon France - It's there
Amazon Germany - It's there
Amazon Italy - It's there
Amazon Japan - It's there
Amazon Spain - It's there

Gutted if you're in Brazil, China, Australia or Mexico though.

You're right, it would have been better to link to her website (which itself links to itunes, Amazon and Google play) which also offers the physical copy.
Well, there's still Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Portugal, Greece, Austria, Russia, Africa, most of Asia and several other countries. Even if there were an Amazon for all of those countries it would require to post quite a few links where iTunes or her personal site require as few as 1 link for all countries where it's available (her personal site offers it where iTunes isn't available too).

So does it really make sense to link 10 different versions of Amazon (and still not cover half as many countries as iTunes) just so someone can save 1 dollar?

Edit: Also it's cheaper to buy from her site than it is from Amazon.co.uk

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
weirdguy said:
I just feel sorry for that poor violin in the rain...
That was my first thought when I was watching it, but that might be because I would flip out if I got mine wet. >.>

OT: That was pretty awesome.

When I get the chance I'm gonna have to check out more of her stuff since she's pretty damn good.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
weirdguy said:
I just feel sorry for that poor violin in the rain...
bluegate said:
Aside from that, I'm a bit surprised that Nintendo is letting this here fly, somebody making money off of their property like this, albeit redone in an original form.
These were my thoughts.

Less than a minute in, and I had my viola out, playing some of my old favorites.

Oct 10, 2011
I came here hoping to rant about how easy most Zelda songs are to play on violin, but holy sugar that is some good playing. And I have been looking to add some instrumentals to my library, so I'm sold.

Also a moment of silence for the violin in the rain.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Who the F is Taylor Davis?

*watches video

Oh ViolinTay, why didn't you say so? Looks to me like she's trying a little to hard to be Lindsey Stirling with the cosplay and cinematography... but Zelda music so add to cart.

If we could get Tay, Lindsey, and Malukah all working together THAT would be worth a purchase.